Your Elk Hunting Rifle

Either my browning A bolt 308 or my noslar M48 LR Carbon in 300 win mag haven't decided where I'm headed for opening weekend yet.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Rem 700 30.06 DM bartlein barrel - wife bought it for me in original configuration while I was deployed a long time ago - love that gun and the memories - own others but always come back to that one - the 30.06 is a great round

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
So many good ones to choose from in the safe. 7RM with Nightforce NXS shooting 162 ELDX, 7PRC with Nightforce NX8 shooting 175 ELDX or 180 Matchking, 300PRC with Nightforce NXS shooting 225 ELDM or 245 EOL are my choices.

P dog

FNG
Early 90's Browning BAR Safari 7mm Rem Mag. Scheels 4 x 12 el cheapo scope. 150 gr. Cor Lokt. So far this year its killed one bull elk and two antelope.

OP
trophyhill
Ruger m77 mark II 7mm
I sold my M77 7rem mag when I started bowhunting in 2008. Wish I wouldn’t have done that. It killed a bunch of mule deer! Now I have the Browning X Bolt and it’s still early in my revitalized rifle adventures on occasion. The next being a rifle 3rd season CO deer hunt

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Can only say I have it for an intended hunt with my son within the next 2 years, but got a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .338 WM, 225 grain Hdy Interlock SP-RP's, or 250 grain (same) or 250 Barnes TSX's, to do it.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
That's my only oth
Marlin guide gun in 45-70 is my usual go to. Other go to is the trusty rem 700 adl in 30-06
That's my only other rifle - and I intended on taking both the Ruger .338 WM and the gg out west when we go. This would be our first western hunt and I know nothing. I know my gg really well for northwoods deer hunting and would love to presume timber hunts for elk, for same. Not sure it can be answered, but if I really want to get in where many others don't like to go, in a typical late-season elk hunt, can a hunter concentrate on lodgepole pine or similar terrains, or do you go in prepped for anything including backcountry areas where the gg would be the wrong weapon?

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
That's my only oth

That's my only other rifle - and I intended on taking both the Ruger .338 WM and the gg out west when we go. This would be our first western hunt and I know nothing. I know my gg really well for northwoods deer hunting and would love to presume timber hunts for elk, for same. Not sure it can be answered, but if I really want to get in where many others don't like to go, in a typical late-season elk hunt, can a hunter concentrate on lodgepole pine or similar terrains, or do you go in prepped for anything including backcountry areas where the gg would be the wrong weapon?
It really depends on where you are hunting. My late season haunts are in very thick nasty country. There are some clearings for longer shots, but the advantages of having the gg in the thick stuff out way the long distance guns benefits. The bulls especially seem to like the thickest nastiest blow down areas post rut. places sane people don't go

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
It really depends on where you are hunting. My late season haunts are in very thick nasty country. There are some clearings for longer shots, but the advantages of having the gg in the thick stuff out way the long distance guns benefits. The bulls especially seem to like the thickest nastiest blow down areas post rut. places sane people don't go
Many thanks Fetty.