Your Emotional Intelligence or Handling Stress Tips/ Habits

I'm constantly amazed by the vast array of occupations and backgrounds on Rokslide. In the last year I've seen a lot of news feeds discussing emotional intelligence (though in the past it seems like this was more referred to as common sense, which isn't so common, apparently).

I also suspect there are multiple high stress careers represented on Rokslide. I'm always up for learning new stuff or different approaches.

So, Roklsiders, if you care to do so, please share some of your favorite emotional intelligence or high stress tips or habits for daily life.

1. I've learned over the years, with regards to text messages or emails, never type angry and realize the sender isn't necessarily owed a quick response. Give yourself a response window to reply, hour, day, week, whatever, to think trough the reply.

2. WIN. What's Important Now. The WIN principal helps me prioritize what needs done in the moment when the proverbial excrement has become airborne at accelerate velocities.

Whatcha got Rokslide?

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I'm constantly amazed by the vast array of occupations and backgrounds on Rokslide. In the last year I've seen a lot of news feeds discussing emotional intelligence (though in the past it seems like this was more referred to as common sense, which isn't so common, apparently).

I also suspect there are multiple high stress careers represented on Rokslide. I'm always up for learning new stuff or different approaches.

So, Roklsiders, if you care to do so, please share some of your favorite emotional intelligence or high stress tips or habits for daily life.

1. I've learned over the years, with regards to text messages or emails, never type angry and realize the sender isn't necessarily owed a quick response. Give yourself a response window to reply, hour, day, week, whatever, to think trough the reply.

2. WIN. What's Important Now. The WIN principal helps me prioritize what needs done in the moment when the proverbial excrement has become airborne at accelerate velocities.

Whatcha got Rokslide?
For managing work stress, I have a few techniques that seem to work.

I keep my email inbox down to about 5 emails at the end of each day. For me this means I have either taken care of what needs to be addressed or scheduled it for later in the week on my calendar. This makes my todos seem less overwhelming.

If I start to think about work in the middle of the night, I have a few sayings or poems that I repeat which helps me put work in the appropriate place untl it's time to focus on it.

I usually just drink

But in all seriousness I’m blessed to be in a position where I leave work at work. I do my 48 hour shift and don’t worry about a thing until I go back in 4 days later. I hated the corporate life- emails and phone calls at all hours, 7 days a week. I don’t know how people can live that way. After 8 years I called it quits

Scoot

WKR
Don't mean to be rude, but our terminology is really sloppy in your post. Are you asking about how to handle stress or are you really asking about emotional intelligence? Emotional intelligence is a lay term and really isn't intelligence in the classic sense. Regardless, if you are a Goleman follower there are 4 components of it. Do a little snooping online-- is that what you're really asking about or are you asking how to better handle stress?

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
If I start to think about work in the middle of the night, I have a few sayings or poems that I repeat which helps me put work in the appropriate place untl it's time to focus on it.
Would be curious to hear what these sayings or poems are as I've been dealing with this lately.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
Would be curious to hear what these sayings or poems are as I've been dealing with this lately.
My goto is the Lord's Prayer. I don't consider myself a religious person, but I memorized this when I was a kid and it helps calm my mind down when it's racing at times.

Some others include:
  • Nothing Gold Can Stay by Robert Frost
  • Quote from the movie the Last Kiss, "Stop talking about love. Every asshole in the world says they love somebody. It means nothing. It still means nothing. What you feel only matters to you. It's what you do to the ones you say you love, that's what matters. It's the only thing that counts."
  • Quote from Alone on the Wall by Alex Honnold/Dave Roberts, "If you don’t believe in God or an after-life, doesn’t that make this life all the more precious? I suppose so, but just because something is precious doesn’t mean you have to baby it.

OkayestHNTR

Lil-Rokslider
Don't mean to be rude, but our terminology is really sloppy in your post. Are you asking about how to handle stress or are you really asking about emotional intelligence? Emotional intelligence is a lay term and really isn't intelligence in the classic sense. Regardless, if you are a Goleman follower there are 4 components of it. Do a little snooping online-- is that what you're really asking about or are you asking how to better handle stress?

Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk Pro

280Ackley

WKR
Say’s the guy who has typo’s in his own post……

CoStick

WKR
I use headspace app and meditate each day. I realized at one point my ability to be the husband and father I am and envision myself to be moving forward was being impacted by work, extended family issues. The people most important to me weren’t getting what I had typically provided and they deserve. The daily meditations allow me to be who I want to be and foster what is important most of the time. For me life changing, it is basically tactical meditation.

Billinsd

WKR
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, MBSR. Reassuring myself there's no way to make as much money as I'm making so easily and I got another 4 years left. Planning and dreaming of hunting trips. Hugging and spending time with the family and my dogs. Drinking and eating well. Living well....

Sherman

WKR
Stress? Read the Bible, pray, give your troubles to Jesus. Start every day with Ephesians 6:10-18

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.”

Emotions and intellect are two very different and independent functions of the human soul. And while we all have both capabilities, some people are more or less capable of using either to make good decisions. The men I know should not (and don't) depend upon their emotions to guide their decisions. Both functions have weaknesses: Thinking takes time, effort, and training. Emotions are very easily manipulated.

Examples:
When your teenager does something really stupid and you ask "what were you thinking?" the answer is usually a dumb look because he wasn't thinking he was emoting.

Pictures of majestic wolves are designed to appeal to emotions.

I can't stand the modern definition twisting oxymoron "emotional intelligence."

Last edited:

22lr

WKR
Definitely had a period when I was deployed where I couldn't sleep for months on end. Was constantly thinking about what people I needed to move where, did they get there, what did I forget to send, the next decision brief I had to give to the boss... o crap, I never told the boss that I needed help for this piece over here...

Ended up low order hooked on over the counter sleep aids for the last few months there and for 6 months after I got home (literally could not sleep without them). Got "addicted" to this site while over there to help get my mind off the daily grind, that helped a little but finally took two separate week long hunting excursions to finally clear my brain and leave that crap behind. They were my first ever hunting trips outside of whitetail stand sitting... Then, we all watched my worse nightmares unfold a year and a half later on national TV in the stan. Started drinking heavily and not gonna lie, its taken me a minute to back off. Getting back into the woods on some hunting trips has helped tremendously. Some of it to help clear my head with peace and quite, some of it was just the fact that I count ounces and im not packing in 2 gal of booze... some of it was also just reaching out to everyone I knew there with me at the time to vent a bit with those who knew behind the scene details and frustrations. Talking with people who understand the details behind the situation is huge to me.

Coming home to my family at the end of every day is also a huge plus, I helped send many home who never got that opportunity, and that F'n sucks hard. I always try to tell myself that It could always be worse, I have been blessed to live the life I have up to now, and God owes me nothing, everyday is a gift. Its funny, after writing this out, just writing it out helps a bit as well...

In my business the customer can lose $20,000 per hour or more when things aren't working. Many years ago on a very stressful job I was freaking out by how long the job was taking. An old hand I worked with told me "Look, we're going to do our best. That's all we can do."

He meant exactly that, we would give our very best. From that point on my stress level dropped to a very manageable level. I didn't break their equipment. I was doing my best to fix it as quickly as possible. That's all I can ask of myself. The customer can sense when you are giving your all, and that is all they ask for as well. This assumes you know what you are doing, which is "rule number two".