Your First Shot on a Cold Bore is the most important.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
So my issue was that no matter what the stock contacted the barrel way too hard. It seemed like the stock was warped. Weatherby sent me a new one, to which I had the same issue. I ended up dremmeling it out so that it would be free floated, and then bedded the action. It helped with overall accuracy, but the cold bore is still way off from the shots that follow.
Is the POI shift consistent? No matter which stock was on it?

So my issue was that no matter what the stock contacted the barrel way too hard. It seemed like the stock was warped. Weatherby sent me a new one, to which I had the same issue. I ended up dremmeling it out so that it would be free floated, and then bedded the action. It helped with overall accuracy, but the cold bore is still way off from the shots that follow.

Is the cold bore drift repeated with just cooling the barrel?

Or is it the first shot usually?

Can you give it an hour of just sitting and then the first shot is still off?

I only ask because I have had a scope that would wander from transport in a vehicle over time. Once fired, recoil seemed to mostly fix it, bringing it back to zero. Different scope fixed the way off "cold bore".

Is the POI shift consistent? No matter which stock was on it?
POI is consistent. Just that first shot is always way off. Yes even when I let the barrel cool. Scope isn't the issue. Had it on other rifles and it holds dead nuts. The Mark V I have just has a pencil thin barrel. I think it heats up rather fast.

I’m sorry but… huh?

If your rifle has a cold bore shift, that is a problem.

If a shooter does something different on their first shot (frequently referred to as cold shooter), that is a problem.

Trying to train it out by putting yourself in cold bore and cold shooter situations where it is difficult ID issues seems like a waste.

Last edited:
If your rifle has a cold bore shift, that is a problem.

If a shooter does something different on their first shot (frequently referred to as cold shooter), that is a problem.

Trying train it out by putting yourself in cold bore and cold shooter situations where it is difficult ID issues seems like a waste.
Thanks I really didn’t understand your first post. If it were me I’d be trying to switch loads to get rid of the cold bore rather then complicate for it.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
At the distance most of shoot, 500 yards or less, I don't think it makes a lot of difference, unless you are shooting competition. Once I have my rifle sited in and I'm out hunting, one shot is all I ever need. :).

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a firm believer in at least one sound shot. I concentrate a lot more on follow up shots. So I guess you could say it’s rare I rifle hunt without my barrel getting a proper warm up! Also took up archery hunting years ago, for some reason I hold my composure a lot better with arrows.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve never had a great memory, but it’s been good enough to know patterns are valuable to keep track of, like what the first shot does compared to the rest, small changes in zero over time, and anything to do with groups and wind. Keeping a shooting journal has been good.

One fellow posts a lot of groups and daily shooting adventures on another forum - almost an online shooting journal. He had a zero problem every time he went from one target to another very close to it - same distance, same wind, same shooting position. Had he not posted this odd zero change a few times over the years it wouldn’t have been noticed as a pattern. He was trying to stretch his position to make the shot, rather than readjust correctly - had nothing to do with the actual zero.

Stalker69

WKR
So your findings were such that you believe there is a benefit to such practice? Can you share your findings a little more specifcally? Would be interested to see what you found.

I don't do this type of practice as the rifles I use shoot to the same point of impact regardless of temperature.
Sounds like you should be able to win the challenge. Step up to the plate.

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you should be able to win the challenge. Step up to the plate.
?? I plan on taking part when 2024 is announced. I don't think there's a "winner" either. I was merely commenting on the physical properties of the rifles I shoot, not the knucklehead pulling the trigger.

I’m a firm believer in at least one sound shot. I concentrate a lot more on follow up shots. So I guess you could say it’s rare I rifle hunt without my barrel getting a proper warm up! Also took up archery hunting years ago, for some reason I hold my composure a lot better with arrows.

Wtf is a sound shot?

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
At the distance most of shoot, 500 yards or less, I don't think it makes a lot of difference, unless you are shooting competition. Once I have my rifle sited in and I'm out hunting, one shot is all I ever need. :).
Yeah maybe. 2x5 = 10”. That would be a lot at 500 yards