Your gear upgrades/changes/additions for 2024

We'll see if I get a chance to use it. Last fall I upgraded my "spike out" kit with a better pad (NeoAir XTherm NXT), quilt (Enlightened Revelation), and Zpacks Duplex. All told I dropped probably 3lbs while increasing my R-value/temp minimums. But my plan changed at the last minute and I ended up not spiking out (2' of snow pushed the elk down and we went "mobile"). This year I've learned that I've had what appear to be 3 TIA's (mini strokes) and I'm leery about going out alone the way I'm used to, so this might be the most "expensive yet useless" upgrade ever. :/

One more item on my list is new boots. I blew out the sole on one last year and ended up hunting in a pair of Dewalt work boots. :) I've been on the fence about a pair of Kenetrek's for awhile now and just trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger...

I wasnt getting anything new this year....

So far I have aquired 2 SG sleeping bags and a SG pack. I got a Hyperion K in December but haven't shot it yet. I have some Zeiss SFLs and a Garmin Fenix 7 Pro Solar in my cart I am debating on.

It never ends.

What changes are you making to your 2024 loadouts and why?

Upgrades, additions, and changes from functionality to comfort.

Let her rip.

At the moment I'm focusing on weight reduction.

Switched up from a Vortex Razor 65mm to a Kowa 554. Better glass and drop over a pound.

Planning on adding a Durston X-mid to dropa couple lbs from the dragonfly 3p I've been carrying for solo trips.

Between those 2 items and a couple small things I'm planning on leaving behind this season, I should drop about 4lbs.

What changes are you making to your 2024 loadouts and why?

Upgrades, additions, and changes from functionality to comfort.

Let her rip.

At the moment I'm focusing on weight reduction.

Switched up from a Vortex Razor 65mm to a Kowa 554. Better glass and drop over a pound.

Planning on adding a Durston X-mid to dropa couple lbs from the dragonfly 3p I've been carrying for solo trips.

Between those 2 items and a couple small things I'm planning on leaving behind this season, I should drop about 4lbs.

dropped 2 lbs by going to a 20 degree enlightened equipment quilt (used from a rokslider) and new pad. I was very unsure about it but love it now for temps down to freezing when paired with my puffy. Upgraded sleeping mat for a bit more warmth and less weight to the Thermarest xtherm NXT.
I would be very interested in your experience with the X-mid. Lots of reviews out there but nothing I have seen for typical Colorado hunting conditions in high winds and snow/ mountain usage. I have used some single pol/ floorless shelters that can be challenging if you don't have the ideal spot. The X-mind looks amazing but concerned about it especially if you cant get a perfect pitch in rocky terrain. Please post your experiences post season.

We'll see if I get a chance to use it. Last fall I upgraded my "spike out" kit with a better pad (NeoAir XTherm NXT), quilt (Enlightened Revelation), and Zpacks Duplex. All told I dropped probably 3lbs while increasing my R-value/temp minimums. But my plan changed at the last minute and I ended up not spiking out (2' of snow pushed the elk down and we went "mobile"). This year I've learned that I've had what appear to be 3 TIA's (mini strokes) and I'm leery about going out alone the way I'm used to, so this might be the most "expensive yet useless" upgrade ever. :/

One more item on my list is new boots. I blew out the sole on one last year and ended up hunting in a pair of Dewalt work boots. :) I've been on the fence about a pair of Kenetrek's for awhile now and just trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger...
I use my EL quilt and Xtherm even when truck camping so much better than a bag IMO once i got the used to it and got the system worked out. When not packing in I add a cot and cheepo synthetic blanket that is always in the truck and it like sleeping in my bed (almost)

8a0017af-ae7c-4a49-ba44-20f3548a3874_text.gif

New strings on the bow
New tires on the truck
Gonna try swept instead of full blades on QAD exodus

#1 change from last year, I’m going to try and actually kill an animal.

Also:
-Going for more wool, less synthetic.
-Losing some weight (gut).
-Switching to a lower spine arrow for my longbow (maintaining 550gr total, but going for shorter length and better tune).
-Probably switching out my Stryker xl for the ol Reckoning.
-Opting for real food over dehydrates.
-Stocking up on Prana zions.

- Stock savage 111 .30-06 -> tikka 6.5 with um rings, Sfwa 3-15, AB 8, manners eh-1 (rokstok on order)
- several hundred factory eldm 147
- a couple thousand S&B FMJBT 140 for equipment vs practice thread based drills. Once I’m scoring above 17 I’ll start practicing in broken terrain for wind calls.
- cheap wind meter ( $44 wind wizard) to learn the basics of how wind feels and looks at different mph.
- seek outside goshawk.
- standard CAT tourniquet -> snakestaff edq wide. (Smaller and lighter)
- e 350 with quigley, glass topper, heater, insulation, and a basic conversion. New mobile base in the mountains.

Last edited:
Upgraded my pack to the Kuiu pro 7800 for more space. Hoping to get a wall tent in the near future so the family can get out there with me.
Now as for wants that probably won’t happen this year is a good spotting scope.

Picked up some FHF gear's chest rig pieces towards the end of last year, and absolutely love them. Adding a couple more this year. Extremely happy with the functionality, versatility, and durability thus far.

Also, strongly considering picking up a Maven RS 1.2 for one of my hunting guns, given the durability reviews it's started experiencing here.

Trying out the SG Quilt this year, previously always used sleeping bags, hopefully the little bit of bulk and weight savings will be worth it.

Most of my equipment is all set from previous years.

1. Switched from Sig Kilo5K monocular to Sig Kilo6K binos but that's mainly for competition use and east coast whitetail hunting (have Swaro EL 10x50s for western stuff).
2. For this upcoming season I will be using Razor G3 6-36 scopes because I sold all of my others for now. Will buy a NF or something next offseason for hunting.
3. Have a custom rifle being built for taking competition-style classes and possible PRS use. Will also use it for eastern whitetail hunting and Colorado antelope this fall.
  • Side note: with this build I'm trying out a Foundation Centurion which is different for me since I've been using exclusively chassis systems for years after moving away from Manners stocks
  • Also this will be my first rifle that uses AW magazines which is pretty cool to me
4. Switching from 143 ELD-X to 147 ELD-M for hunting with my 6.5CM rifles.
5. Using an electronic Send-It level on my rifles now since I dislike looking at a bubble level while trying to get set up on an animal.
6. Using Can Chaps suppressor covers now instead of Armageddon ones.
7. Will be my first year using my single-pull Ckye pod for hunting, sold my Atlas CAL.
8. Most importantly, I've been working out for a few months now and will continue to do so. My physical fitness this fall will be better than it's been in 10 years.

Last edited:
Not too much. I have about what I need or want. I did get some new grakksaw game bags, added crocs and even though I hated doing it, went witha peax head lamp so I wouldn’t have to carry extra batteries.

- Thunderbeast Ultra 7 to my 6.5 SAUM
- I’ll be switching to a quilt over a mummy bag, yet to decide which one though…
- Dark Energy Poseidon Pro power bank
- Inreach Messenger

Back