Your hunt setup

Yeah south is still out of town. I ordered some acs limbs for my jackal they were not available in 2015 when I bought my jackal. I sold my coyote and mountain monarch recurves. Still have a few recurves in the stable that I’m debating on letting go. I’m just a longbow guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GLB

GLB

WKR
Yeah south is still out of town. I ordered some acs limbs for my jackal they were not available in 2015 when I bought my jackal. I sold my coyote and mountain monarch recurves. Still have a few recurves in the stable that I’m debating on letting go. I’m just a longbow guy

Do you have any full profile pictures of your jackal all set while I wait for mine?

a5300b0bbcf54115f0efb87e55be48da.jpg

The jackal B&W ebony and zircote

Fling-One

FNG
Dang that is a gorgeous stalker. Nice shootin y’all.
I worked up a new load myself for the year. Shooting a 29.5” day six 400 with 100 gr insert/collar combo and a 125 grain head. TAW 550 grains on the nose. Shooting a Wengerd chamois 62” bow, 51# @28”.
Really like this bow, finished deer season with it last year and have 5 animals with it.

Dang that is a gorgeous stalker. Nice shootin y’all.
I worked up a new load myself for the year. Shooting a 29.5” day six 400 with 100 gr insert/collar combo and a 125 grain head. TAW 550 grains on the nose. Shooting a Wengerd chamois 62” bow, 51# @28”.
Really like this bow, finished deer season with it last year and have 5 animals with it.

That arrow set up sounds pretty dab burn interesting. I was thinking of trying some micros just didn’t know where to start. My bow that I’m working on is 51@28 and I draw 28.5. Cut to center off the shelf with calf hair plate and rest. Any help would be appreciated fellas

Fling-One

FNG
That arrow set up sounds pretty dab burn interesting. I was thinking of trying some micros just didn’t know where to start. My bow that I’m working on is 51@28 and I draw 28.5. Cut to center off the shelf with calf hair plate and rest. Any help would be appreciated fellas

Thanks, it works very well. I would say start with a 400 spined day 6 and cut it down till it flies good.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
a5300b0bbcf54115f0efb87e55be48da.jpg

The jackal B&W ebony and zircote

Dang Shawn, thats a beauty

Is South using that G10 insert in all his risers now?

I have it in my ILF riser and at first discounted it as overkill….but now that I have had another mnfr riser flexing …..I think not.

I find I prefer a lighter riser….but now might have to revisit that.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider

I have it in my ILF riser and at first discounted it as overkill….but now that I have had another mnfr riser flexing …..I think not.

I find I prefer a lighter riser….but now might have to revisit that.I
I have one of his all G10 ILF risers. Definitely beefy and a lot heavier than my Coyote, but I'm not disliking it.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I have one of his all G10 ILF risers. Definitely beefy and a lot heavier than my Coyote, but I'm not disliking it.
I shot my Stalker yesterday and had an interesting takeaway vs shooting that $130 Bucktrails riser.

[Bear with me.....This is difficult to articulate]
I didn't realize I was feeling that Bucktrails riser flex a tiny bit on the shot. I for sure felt it flex when the glue joint opened...but even before that there was a tiny bit of something- call it a little wave of something going through the riser on the release. Very, Very small and not necessarily bad...but after shooting the stiffer riser I could tell it was there. Its a tiny bit noisier with the exact same limbs too.

Then shooting Bareshafts as a form check, the slightly smaller grip of the Stalker showed I was not gripping it the same way each time with even pressure directly at the target. With a slightly bad grip, I was throwing the bare shafts between 6"-12" out. With a consistent grip...bareshaft was in there.

Dang, this Trad shooting accuracy is a work in progress- grin

GLB

WKR

I find I prefer a lighter riser….but now might have to revisit that.
I believe South has a lifetime warranty on all his risers.

I know that my riser has a piece of phenolic/glass running vertical through the back of the riser and is covered by the back overlays. I’m not sure what all south does now. I can’t speak for him or his policy or warranty. I do know he’s a stand up guy and stands behind his work and reputation. He had really moved the trad community forward.

Beendare I know what you mean with the inconsistencies on grips and how you shoot between bows. I find myself doing that too changing between bows here and there. I have to make a mental note and correct myself sometimes.

GLB

WKR
I know that my riser has a piece of phenolic/glass running vertical through the back of the riser and is covered by the back overlays. I’m not sure what all south does now. I can’t speak for him or his policy or warranty. I do know he’s a stand up guy and stands behind his work and reputation. He had really moved the trad community forward.

Beendare I know what you mean with the inconsistencies on grips and how you shoot between bows. I find myself doing that too changing between bows here and there. I have to make a mental note and correct myself sometimes.

South has his warranty on his website and states that his risers are lifetime (Had to look it up to be sure)

I got my Jackal in yesterday and I got to say that it was a quick tunning bow. It did require a stiffer spine than I thought.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I’m going to put this here in case anyone is interested, mid way through I had riser issues …but here is the short version;

I have been a pretty heavy arrow guy in the past- 11-12gpp in a 45# recurve.

I bumped up to 50-52# and had 2 arrows that tuned; 391g, 499g. I shot those for a couple weeks and it was crazy how much more accurate the 391g was with better groups.

I primarily used my set up for hunting and I did not want to shoot that light of an arrow so I set up another arrow with an Accmos 9 GPI shaft TAW 435g. (The 391 was an 8gpi shaft, a bit fragile for a hunt arrow)

I shot the 499 and 435 logging the groups at known yardages from 15y to 35y. The results pointed to a clear winner that was much more consistently accurate; the 435g, 8.7gpp. I’m not worried about penetration as I use a 2 blade.

Coming from the heavier gpp, I was surprised how much more consistently accurate I am with that arrow. A guy only shooting 15y shots won’t benefit much but for a guy shooting 15, 20,25,30y shots its a worthy exercise.

Last edited:
OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Dang I’m in a rough patch…thankfully I have multiple risers and limbs.

I broke my replacement Bucktrails riser yesterday in the same spot as before And I broke my Stalker riser…a surface piece.

So it looks like I am down to my tried and true Dryad riser and the couple metal risers.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider

I broke my replacement Bucktrails riser yesterday in the same spot as before And I broke my Stalker riser…a surface piece.

So it looks like I am down to my tried and true Dryad riser and the couple metal risers.

Only a hand full of risers left? I recommend panic buying at least 3 more 😁

Rob5589

WKR

Holy smokes man!