FFP vs SFP and necessity

McFarmer

FNG
Like others have stated, you really need to go to a store and look at both to make a decision. I use both styles but FFP for target and SFP for hunting. I prefer SFP for hunting as I am chasing animals in both open country, mountains and dark timber. I tried an NX8 in FFP for this and the reticle is damn near impossible to pick up with a dark background even with illumination on. It's just way too fine of a reticle for me for hunting but shooting steal at distance it works well. For my primary hunting rigs (300WN, 7 PRC), I try to keep my shots on game under 800yds, dial for elevation, hold for wind and keep a 200yd zero.

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have stated, you really need to go to a store and look at both to make a decision. I use both styles but FFP for target and SFP for hunting. I prefer SFP for hunting as I am chasing animals in both open country, mountains and dark timber. I tried an NX8 in FFP for this and the reticle is damn near impossible to pick up with a dark background even with illumination on. It's just way too fine of a reticle for me for hunting but shooting steal at distance it works well. For my primary hunting rigs (300WN, 7 PRC), I try to keep my shots on game under 800yds, dial for elevation, hold for wind and keep a 200yd zero.
So hunting rig, what are you doing for wind holds?

McFarmer

FNG
So hunting rig, what are you doing for wind holds?
I use a MOAR reticle and hold for wind. Unless you are relying on a duplex reticle, nearly all SFP scopes subtend 1:1 at their max zoom. At half magnification (usually where I keep things) it is still useable but involves just another math step. Additionally, I know that my 300WN 180gr load will shift POI roughly 6" for every wind increment of 10mph out to 600yds. So realistically, it's just a touch of Kentucky windage for 90% of my hunting at that point as wind shift is minimal.

In all honesty, if I was just shooting open country all the time, I would run a FFP. However, due to the variances of terrain and the fact that I have snap shot many a mule at close range having jumped them out of their bed, FFP has been ruled out.

Mojave

WKR
For a while, I thought about setting up MPBR and then figuring out the rest with a drop chart taped to my stock. This isn't a bad way to go.

Then I had a couple of incidents where MPBR and extreme elevation changes on the hypotonuse screwed up the shot at the range.

As I mostly hunt with elevation changes, this isn't ideal.

So I have gone back to a 100 yard zero and dials.

06 SB

FNG
It really is a personal preference. I have long been a SFP guy but have been trying FFPs recently and I see their usefulness. For very low light, close shots I much prefer a SFP. For unknown ranges over 300yds or run and gun types scenarios, a FFP is hard to beat. Weight is a big deal for me. Some FFP scopes are ridiculously heavy. I prefer the usually lighter SFP scopes on my lighter hunting rigs.

What do you want? I would try a FFP since you have not tried one. If it is such a great deal, then it would be easy to sell if you did not like it.

SDHNTR

WKR
For a while, I thought about setting up MPBR and then figuring out the rest with a drop chart taped to my stock. This isn't a bad way to go.

Then I had a couple of incidents where MPBR and extreme elevation changes on the hypotonuse screwed up the shot at the range.

As I mostly hunt with elevation changes, this isn't ideal.

So I have gone back to a 100 yard zero and dials.
I went through this same process and came to the same conclusion.

A similar conclusion could also be drawn WRT custom cut yardage turrets and CDS type systems.

Mojave

WKR
I went through this same process and came to the same conclusion.

A similar conclusion could also be drawn WRT custom cut yardage turrets and CDS type systems.
I have CDS type system worked out with my Zeiss. The rest of my scopes I have a dope card I carry on the side of my rifle.

Tape is a better way as it is faster.

Even though I love my Swarovski EL Range TA. I hate the fac that they display range in a strange way. The Leupold 1600 range finder still gets carried.