Your Second Layer?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the outer fabric is very similar (or the same), so pretty close in durability from that angle; not having a interior fabric doesn't seem to bother Alpha Direct as near as I can tell

jrod_9

FNG
I think the outer fabric is very similar (or the same), so pretty close in durability from that angle; not having a interior fabric doesn't seem to bother Alpha Direct as near as I can tell
Thanks for your input. I’ve been reading threads for a couple weeks I’ve noticed you have a lot of good Info on here. Thanks for sharing.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well now, Avery, I hear your middle layer is that heavy sasquatch fur on your back and tummy? Most other mortals use wool as a 2nd layer. The thickness or weight varies with a 20 degree difference in temps...thin wool for <50F, medium pile for >30F and heavy wool for <30F climate. My outer is usually a rain top until it get below 20F and then I add a layer between the wool and rain jacket even if just a synthetic pile like Prana.

In my army days polypropylene was the go too middle layer (light and compact), but post army days around a campfire a rock exploded in the fire and a hot mess shot up onto my forearm and melted the sleeve of polypro to my skin...got a few small blisters from that one and the top was ruined. I switched to wool twenty years ago and have never regretted it.

woods89

WKR
I went on an overnight turkey backpacking trip this weekend. Temps were mid 30s to mid 50s, somewhat damp, and some wind. I got a chance to wear my OR Ascendant early and late some.

I'm understanding now why some of you are fans of Alpha Direct. Not a huge sample size of use yet, but I'm seriously impressed. My fleeces may not get much use from here on out.

Chuckybmd

WKR
Duck camp Barn Burner hoodie (350gsm merino)
Paired with kuiu down vest.
Kuiu attack pants.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Anyone tried this? Canis Alpha Grizzly (it doesn’t use alpha insulation, rather it’s a merino/poly blend)…..

Rkak

FNG
Also a big fan of the polartec alpha, I have a discontinued Rab Paradox Lite that has a breathable high gauge motiv outer fabric that made a big difference over the old Arcteryx thick fleece I used to use. Going to try the mesh wool baselayer now to help with the backpack back sweat, found a Bjorn Daehlie Airnet wool top on a good sale, but haven't had it long to test it out. Now that I have it though I was considering moving away from wool tops during cold active outings. Anyone else find synthetic mesh tops are an improvement to wool mesh tops specifically for very cold and active days?

Interested to hear any reviews on the Canis Alpha Grizzly as well. I was thinking that might replace my Rab Paradox.

Or this jacket -
Primaloft Aerogel with wool panels
https://www.stellarequipment.com/product/m-guide-aerogel-hybrid-hood-20-dkgrey/

seguideaerogel.png

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone else find synthetic mesh tops are an improvement to wool mesh tops specifically for very cold and active days?

I find that synthetics simply out perform wool base layers; wool trumps syn for the odor factor, but for moving moisture and drying quickly tough to be a lightweight syn base layer

Rkak

FNG
I find that synthetics simply out perform wool base layers; wool trumps syn for the odor factor, but for moving moisture and drying quickly tough to be a lightweight syn base layer
Yeah maybe I need to experiment more with them again. Wool during cool medium active days is pretty nice though

BBob

WKR
I agree on the synthetic base layers but after a couple of days my skin is crawling. Always has and probably always will and the mentioned poly pro was the worst ever, stunk like crazy too. I couldn't wait to get out and put on a cotton tee and underwear. A light wool with a light syn over works for me and I'm more comfortable over multiple days.

Edit: The base merino I've been using and pretty happy with is a light 85/15 wool to syn blend.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
merino (good merino) definitely feels good on the skin and generally "feels" warmer when damp

I have a few merino tops that I use occasionally; I've found I have better luck with merino blends (merino and some syn)- they dry quicker and are more durable due to the addition of syn. I've also found that the thinner the better for merino base layers, although I also have better luck with thinner syn base layers too.

Landonm

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm a big fan of merino base layers, but I have a theory developing over the last couple years that in true late season cold, synthetics keep me warmer (better wicking maybe?). So for base layer, I'm choosing a merino hoodie or synthetic/polypropylene base depending on the day's plans, forecast, etc., etc.

For second layer, most times it's a Peloton 240, but in the scenario Ryan posed, if it's truly cold and it's a legit approach hike (not a hunt your way in kind of scenario), I'm usually keeping it very light and stay warm by moving. If you're leaving the truck not freezing in this instance, you're going to be sweating to death 5 minutes up the trail. I've started using the Kuiu Peloton 118 to supplement for days like this if I don't think I can handle the hike in in just a base layer. It Adds a little warmth, dries quickly. I've usually got a full zip Peloton 240 Hoodie and puffy to add on once I'm done with the heavy exertion.

woods89

WKR
Definitely some physiological differences between people. I see some of you wearing high gsm wool, and that wouldn't work for me as a heavy sweater. Not saying you shouldn't, if it works for you.

One thing I have noticed about my Alpha Direct hoodie ( that I've only had for a couple weeks) is how fast it seems to pull moisture out of my base layer. The other night I hiked in about 2 miles in a Black Ovis 150gsm (50/50 merino/syn blend) and a BD Alpine Start windshirt. Temp was around 40, damp with 15 mph breeze or so. I got to where I wanted to camp with mild perspiration under my pack, pulled off the windshirt, and put on my Ascendant hoodie. I was amazed how fast the moisture was gone from my baselayer, much faster than it would have with my former 2nd layer of a Sitka mid weight fleece.

I’m torn between going back to KUIU Strongfleece 260 and Sitka Kelvin active hoody. Id anyone had used both let me know pros/cons. I’m assuming Strongfleece will be more durable but maybe not as warm and breathable?

jd1006

WKR
The discontinued Kuiu Chinook Jacket is a pretty interesting. Thin grid fleece, pit zips. Completely nylon. Durable, breathes well, dries fast.

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely some physiological differences between people. I see some of you wearing high gsm wool, and that wouldn't work for me as a heavy sweater. Not saying you shouldn't, if it works for you.

One thing I have noticed about my Alpha Direct hoodie ( that I've only had for a couple weeks) is how fast it seems to pull moisture out of my base layer. The other night I hiked in about 2 miles in a Black Ovis 150gsm (50/50 merino/syn blend) and a BD Alpine Start windshirt. Temp was around 40, damp with 15 mph breeze or so. I got to where I wanted to camp with mild perspiration under my pack, pulled off the windshirt, and put on my Ascendant hoodie. I was amazed how fast the moisture was gone from my baselayer, much faster than it would have with my former 2nd layer of a Sitka mid weight fleece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk