your weapon of choice for mountain grouse

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
No o/u or s/s purist here :) I've been using a small .22 revolver (S&W 317), but my grouse take could be better so just purchased a Ruger American Compact in .22LR, topping it with 4X Leupold/Talley Lightweights

What do you use?

I just bought a Tikka T1x 22LR mounted a Nikon 4-16 I've had forever. Not sure that scopes gonna stay but probably.

My old 22mag is at the Smith rite now getting cut down to 17" and threaded.
Probably transfer my old Vx2 4x over to it in a set of Warne rings.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Most of the grouse I have taken were with rubber bludgeon points while I was archery hunting for elk. I got three one day with a recurve - not as exciting as taking a bull but I was still proud of myself. Judo points make too much of a mess for me.

I have also shot several with hard cast bullets out of a 44 magnum revolver. If a bullet hit the breast, the damage wasn’t that much different than that created by a 22 hollow point.

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
Bow. Judo with a fender washer behind it. Only shoot them on the ground. Either head shots or high back. Grouse stew at camp is clutch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Porterka

FNG
.22mag but I only shoot them to and from where I am hunting. I don’t carry a firearm when archery hunting and I don’t carry 2 rifles so the .22mag lives in the truck. Not shooting a broadhead tipped arrow at a grouse and not carrying a special arrow. Not a problem though I usually see 1-3 on the way in or out on a half day hunting.