Youth 50 Miler Hike Help

I’ve volunteered to lead 30 young men (11-17) and some adults on a “50 miler”. This has been quite the undertaking to help get them ready and I would like to give them something to commemorate their accomplishment. I was thinking of getting them all a folding knife or something like. Anyway, came to you all to see if you had any suggestions on what would be cool to help them remember what they accomplished. And if the knife idea is a good one, where would you look to buy decent knives in bulk at an affordable price?

Also, are there any recommended places to look to find some more affordable dehydrated meals for these boys? Some of them can’t afford them and I’m just looking for some options where they might be able to save a few bucks! Thanks guys!!!

Marble

WKR
For me, I would prefer a shirt I stead of a knife.

If you belong to an organization of so.e type, you may just contact a few companies and discuss your needs.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
passinggas33
For me, I would prefer a shirt I stead of a knife.

If you belong to an organization of so.e type, you may just contact a few companies and discuss your needs.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I thought about doing shirts, but half of these kids would outgrow them in a year or two. Was hoping to get something that would last them a long time.

TxxAgg

WKR
Kids are gona lose anything you give them. And they don't appreciate quality the way an adult might.

What about a group photo? And send a hard copy to everyone. Even better if it's one of those pictures set in resin that stands up by itself.

Edit: the pictures are in acrylic

Last edited:
OP
passinggas33
A firm here in town did a “branded” batch of opinel no…I dunno which no…but they turned out well and were unique. I’d try that perhaps.
I’m a little sheltered. Had never heard of these knives before. Are these good knives? Better to do a fixed blade vs a folder for young men?

I’m a little sheltered. Had never heard of these knives before. Are these good knives? Better to do a fixed blade vs a folder for young men?
They're very inexpensive, but also excellent quality for the money.

And a fairly unique design, at least compared to what most people are familiar with.

I have done the exact same thing you are doing. 14-18 yo boys and adults did 50 miles in the Weminuche Wilderness. All of the adults took photos throughout the hike. Then we got all of the pics and picked the ones we liked most and created a picture book for each boy and adult. I have done this for the 4 trips we have done similar to this. It’s something I enjoy looking at, I hope the boys do as well.

To offset costs we asked the boys to do service projects or some sort of fundraiser that we would help them with. I don’t mind helping someone in need, but they need to realize it takes some service, sacrifice etc on their part. We have always had 100% participation. Sure, some are better at it than others but it does help the cost.

Short of reaching out to suppliers that either make or sale dehydrated food, try and catch it on sale. Mountain house will likely be your cheapest route. If you have some sort of affiliation or tax exemption you can at least save on taxes or maybe even get a discount.

Last edited:
Your generosity is commendable.
50-miler what? Endurance run? Back pack trip?

I bet that if they are taught the uniqueness of the accomplishment, most of them will value it and the memory of it. We all know that not everyone needs nor should every event generate a trophy. They should learn that too. I do like the picture book idea. We got a a calendar a few months after summer camp that still brings back good memories.

7mm-08

WKR
Sierra Trading Post generally has the best price on Peak Refuel that I've found. Looks like Midway USA also has a sale on them right now as well.

OP
passinggas33
I have done the exact same thing you are doing. 14-18 yo boys and adults did 50 miles in the Weminuche Wilderness. All of the adults took photos throughout the hike. Then we got all of the pics and picked the ones we liked most and created a picture book for each boy and adult. I have done this for the 4 trips we have done similar to this. It’s something I enjoy looking at, I hope the boys do as well.

To offset costs we asked the boys to do service projects or some sort of fundraiser that we would help them with. I don’t mind helping someone in need, but they need to realize it takes some service, sacrifice etc on their part. We have always had 100% participation. Sure, some are better at it than others but it does help the cost.

Short of reaching out to suppliers that either make or sale dehydrated food, try and catch it on sale. Mountain house will likely be your cheapest route. If you have some sort of affiliation or tax exemption you can at least save on taxes or maybe even get a discount.
I like the idea of the photo album. My challenge is, I want the boys to disconnect from the world and have asked them to leave their cell phones at home. I want them to truly enjoy nature and not get distracted with devices. But maybe the leaders can take pictures.

The boys have done a lot of fundraising and have covered a lot. Many of these boys had absolutely nothing when it came to backpacking equipment (no packs, sleeping bags, etc.). So much of the costs have gone to getting affordable gear in that regards. We’ve also borrowed a lot so that has helped some. I think all the boys have left to buy is food.

I’ve reached out to both Peak and Mtn House. We will see if they do any bulk pricing or something like that. But if not, we will be turning to some local vendors and see if they will sell them to us at their cost or something like that. If not, Sierra Trading Post looks like a good option.

Thanks again to everybody for their thoughts and replies.

OP
passinggas33
Your generosity is commendable.
50-miler what? Endurance run? Back pack trip?

I bet that if they are taught the uniqueness of the accomplishment, most of them will value it and the memory of it. We all know that not everyone needs nor should every event generate a trophy. They should learn that too. I do like the picture book idea. We got a a calendar a few months after summer camp that still brings back good memories.
This is a 50 mile back packing trip. We are trying to do it in 4 days, which is a big ask for some of these boys. I’ve got one boy that would be lucky to be 80 pounds soaking wet. Still trying to figure out how to help him with his weight. Luckily I’ve got one boy who has the strength of an ox and is the kindest young man in the world who has offered to carry some of the weight.

I like the idea of the photo album. My challenge is, I want the boys to disconnect from the world and have asked them to leave their cell phones at home. I want them to truly enjoy nature and not get distracted with devices. But maybe the leaders can take pictures.

The boys have done a lot of fundraising and have covered a lot. Many of these boys had absolutely nothing when it came to backpacking equipment (no packs, sleeping bags, etc.). So much of the costs have gone to getting affordable gear in that regards. We’ve also borrowed a lot so that has helped some. I think all the boys have left to buy is food.

I’ve reached out to both Peak and Mtn House. We will see if they do any bulk pricing or something like that. But if not, we will be turning to some local vendors and see if they will sell them to us at their cost or something like that. If not, Sierra Trading Post looks like a good option.

Thanks again to everybody for their thoughts and replies.
There's several companies that sell bilk packs, makes per meal way cheaper.

bbell

WKR
If you do the picture book idea I would designate an adult to be the trip photographer. Then all the other adults can lead by example and not be on their phone as well.
My wife uses Mpix I believe for photo books. She does them for all sorts of things and they’re always a big hit.

Awesome on you for doing this.
Some cheaper alternatives to freeze dried meals
Idahoan potatoes and bacon bits
Ramen noodles and a tuna pack.
These can be made in an empty mtn house bag as well.

Perhaps a commemorative patch?

One time I went on a fabled road trip, and on the way back, sort of impromptu, one of the members held an award ceremony and gave little prizes. My wife, who completely lost her shit for an insignificant reason on the way there, was awarded "Most Improved Traveler" for keeping it together the rest of the trip. You get the idea. Each kid will get an idea for their value and contribution to the journey, something they'll remember and think about for years to come.