Youth 50 Miler Hike Help

Assuming they all have backpacks, a cool iron on patch to commemorate the hike would be inexpensive but cool.

I have to agree with this. I had shirts from a lot of the schools I attended or units I was in while in the Marines, they are all long gone. I still have some patches from those schools and units though in storage boxes somewhere. I’ll come across them every now and then when searching for something not related. Always brings back how miserable whatever the school was, but shared suffering makes the best memories.

They might not keep them where they see them every day, but they’ll throw them in a box and every 5, 10, 20 years they’ll find it and remember the 50 miler. And patches should be relatively cheap in comparison to a knife.

Sherman

WKR
I agree with the patch, but would make it a Velcro patch. Add in a cool challenge coin and maybe a thumb drive of photos from the hike. I still have challenge coins from my youth to adulthood that were given to me for various accomplishments. A good pre-hike idea is Ranger Pace Beads. Easy and cheap to make and teaches a valuable tool for navigation and survival. You can even have the kids make their own at a pre-hike meeting or training session. Have each kid find their individual pace count for 100 meters as it will vary depending on length of stride.916A3C13-642B-44C0-83EE-E6556B2B5864.jpeg9F47716E-2203-4D73-B2AC-B207A5A21685.jpeg

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome on you for doing this.
Some cheaper alternatives to freeze dried meals
Idahoan potatoes and bacon bits
Ramen noodles and a tuna pack.
These can be made in an empty mtn house bag as well.
Things like this is what I always do backpacking, and probably end up spending less on food than I would at home. A tuna or chicken packet (foil type packs from the store not cans) plus any instant carb make for great dinners. I’ve done Ramen, instant mashed potatoes, Knorr rice and pasta sides, and Near East couscous. You have to be a bit careful but you can usually hydrate and eat from the bag they came in.

Peanut butter (depending on what exactly you choose) or olive oil added in can be great ways to up the calories, especially for the ones that don’t eat much.

OP
passinggas33
So wanted to give an update/recap for all that helped, gave advice, etc.

Started off with 25 people going, as a few kids bailed out (and one was super sick). Talked a few dads in to going to help chaperone. IMG_5958.jpg

Got to the trailhead near Joseph Oregon to start our trek. Had to split into smaller groups to abide by wilderness rules which was good as it allowed for some camaraderie between boys that normally don’t mingle much. Off we went with the boys. 8.5 miles and 2500 feet of elevation gain, with some rain, made for an adventurous first day.

Stopped in at Horseshoe lake for the first night. I had never been to the alpine lakes area in the Wallowa mountains. And it was amazing.
20230809_155312.jpg
Next morning we packed up and made the kids hike to the next lake which was mirror lake. 20230811_065220.jpgAnd from their summit Eagle Cap. Lot of hard work for boys. So 10 miles later and again another 2500 feet of elevation gain and descent and the boys had accomplished something amazing. Something that can never be taken from them.

20230810_160126.jpg
The view from up top was pretty amazing!
Then back down to the bottom of the summit for our version of a polar plunge 😂
2023-08-10_13-32-55_855.jpeg

Boys decided they wanted to head home and we supported whatever decision they were going to make. So on the last morning we climbed 1000 feet and then descended down into glacier lake. From there we hiked the remainder back to the trucks. Total descent for the day was 3500 feet and total mileage for the day was 17 miles. Pushed those boys hard but memories were made.
IMG_6350.jpg
IMG_1507.jpg
The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
2023-08-11_22-13-09_369.jpg

Thank you again to all for following along on this journey and those that offered to help! God Bless!

Awesome. Many of those boys will never again do something like that. Either because of the lack of means, knowledges or desire. Regardless though, they will never forget it. Congrats on a great trip.

Back to your original question that started the thread. What was the memento that you have the boys?

OP
passinggas33
Awesome. Many of those boys will never again do something like that. Either because of the lack of means, knowledges or desire. Regardless though, they will never forget it. Congrats on a great trip.

Back to your original question that started the thread. What was the memento that you have the boys?
Sorry forgot to mention that. We ended following the advice from Rokslide. We did a patch that can be sewn on or ironed on to their packs. We also bought all of them a long handled titanium spoon. We are going to do an activity this winter and actually sewn/iron them on together. We also have a gentleman that will be bringing in a laser, and he’s going to teach them how to program the laser and then we are going to laser their names on their own spoon. So hopefully we can keep using the adventure to teach them other skills.