Youth Hunt

ddgun11

FNG
I am taking my 12 yr old son on an Az youth deer hunt in Oct. I am looking for any good advice. I would like to get away from the road and hunt from a tent. We camp here on Oklahoma but not sure what to expect there.
Unit 20c, he also has 17B 19A&B,20A Javelina tag
Weather?
Tent/sleep system?
Any other advice welcome!

ccarter

FNG
I am taking my 12 yr old son on an Az youth deer hunt in Oct. I am looking for any good advice. I would like to get away from the road and hunt from a tent. We camp here on Oklahoma but not sure what to expect there.
Unit 20c, he also has 17B 19A&B,20A Javelina tag
Weather?
Tent/sleep system?
Any other advice welcome!
Awesome that you're taking a youngster out to experience the West. I've always taken my kids, and it's the best times we spend together all year. I'm in Texas, so here's my thoughts- one flatlander to another.

For equipment, get him good boots and make sure they're warm. When kids get cold, it sucks, and they want to go sit by the fire. And since his/her experience is probably hunting from a blind, make sure you don't wear 'em out on day one. Carrying your day's food, water, a rifle, binoculars, and extra layers is way harder for a kid than it is for us. I normally carry most of my kids' extra stuff just so they can hike more.

Be patient as you try to point out deer that you glass up. It takes them a while to get the hang of finding them in that vast of country when they're used to seeing game walk right out in front of them at 100 yards. It's just different. (And you might even pretend that the rock they think is a deer is actually a deer every once in a while just to keep their confidence up and their interest). I like to use binoculars on tripods because it helps in spotting game, but you can also lock the view on game so the kids can see them.

As far as gear for a spike camp- a good insulated sleeping pad is a must.
I also like camping closer to the top so every morning isn't an uphill hike.

I don't know that unit in particular, but based on where it is, I assume it's high desert, Pinion Juniper, canyon country. Bucks in that kind of country aren't always in the highest terrain. They figure out how to hide in out of the way canyons and even thick brush in canyon bottoms. It's probably way before the rut in that country, so the big boys will probably be by themselves or with other bucks away from the does.

General info, I know. Hopefully you find some of it useful. Best of luck, and enjoy the time with the kiddo.

OP
D

ddgun11

FNG
Thanks! We are getting pretty excited for the hunt, didn't get to go scout like we planned so my expectations are pretty low for finding many deer. I know we are going to have a good time and that's all that matters to me. It's not his first trip he has been to Wy with me on an Antelope hunt so he knows that its going to be way different than Oklahoma deer hunting. I am counting on his good luck, he killed 2 wild pigs with 1 shot the first time I took him with me, (both head shots) I think he 6 yrs old then. We are getting geared up now and I hope I have some good pics to post soon!