Idaho unit 44 youth cow tag

Firespike

FNG
Good afternoon

My daughter has a youth cow tag for unit 44. I have not been in that unit however I have hunted unit 43 a number of times. I am just curious on thoughts of camp locations and access into public lands. I have a camp trailer and wall tent wondering which you all think would be the best with the road conditions for late November. Any help would be appreciated.

Private land makes 44 tough, but I see a lot of people setup campers not far off the road down trails all the time. It's definitely do-able. But the weather can be super unpredictable that time of year, so I'd dry camp with it if you're not running like an Arctic Fox. Little camas/camas reservoir area has campsites in it that are generally very accessible. I'm not sure about anywhere else in 44 though that is safely accessible via camper that late in the year. Weather up there can be real sketchy.
As far as access, it's tough up there. What little access there is, is hunted hard by everyone with a Smoky Bennett B tag. I recommend you have a plan A,B,C,D,E,and F because likely anywhere you show up in the morning, there will already be a few trucks waiting for sunrise, os having backups is important.

Last edited:
OP
F

Firespike

FNG
Thanks for the input pretty much my thoughts as well. I have not been into camas so that may be worth a try. I have been up around Anderson ranch quite a bit and that was my first thought for camping. I was also thinking of trying hunter creek or soldier ski resort ? Seems to have better access but much higher in elevation.

The problem with Anderson is that if a huge snow falls, getting up that huge hill can be sketchy, other than that, it would definitely work as well. There are a few spots along the road that drops into Anderson that can house a camper right off of a trail as well. Ive never spent much time down as far a soldier, so I couldn't be of any help there

Last year during general Elk in 39, which is earlier in November, there was a big snow and ice storm and I was headed back towards Mountain Home at the end of the day, and coming up Cow Creek just west of Anderson, The road was almost impassable because four campers had slid off and blocked it trying to get out. If I were wanting to put my camper somewhere that late in November, I would try and keep it as close to highway 20 as possible so that if there was a lot of snow or ice my chances of recovering it without having to leave come back later when the weather was better or higher.

OP
F

Firespike

FNG
Thanks for the help. Will look at weather close and try and get in a day early to scout some potential spots.

OP
F

Firespike

FNG
Last year during general Elk in 39, which is earlier in November, there was a big snow and ice storm and I was headed back towards Mountain Home at the end of the day, and coming up Cow Creek just west of Anderson, The road was almost impassable because four campers had slid off and blocked it trying to get out. If I were wanting to put my camper somewhere that late in November, I would try and keep it as close to highway 20 as possible so that if there was a lot of snow or ice my chances of recovering it without having to leave come back later when the weather was better or higher.
Well we got it done in a little over a day kid made a great shot at 300 yards cow went down hard. Thanks for the help!

Well we got it done in a little over a day kid made a great shot at 300 yards cow went down hard. Thanks for the help!

That's awesome! Congratulations!! I'm glad it turned out well. A lot of people I've talked to are having a tough go at it this year, so I'm glad you found success!