Youth Rifle in .223 / 5.56

OP
Yellowknife
To wrap this thread up.

Luke Moffat ended up finding me a mint used Tikka SL 1:8 twist. I purchased it for a fair price and out pulled a spare factory stock I had under the work bench to cut it down to youth length. In the interest of keeping everything lightweight for young arms I mounted a 3-9x40 Leupold in Talleys.

Zero'd it in four shots with bulk 55 gr stuff, and then switched to Hornady 75 gr HPBT. First five shots landed in 0.7" just like a good Tikka should.

With the fluted barrel, it's not particularly muzzle heavy even at 22". I think we should have some fun with it this summer. Conveniently, 55 gr shoots to the same POI as 75gr at 100yds. When the kids get bigger, I have the original stock that can go back on.

Thanks for all the advice and input everyone.

What length of pull did you go with? I understand there are several methods of measuring it, but i'm just curious how you got to your measurement. My daughter was recently gifted a Ruger M77 Mk II .243 and I want to size it for her. She is about done growing, so I was going to customize the LOP & possibly shorten the barrel to balance it/reduce some front end weight. Just looking for some knowledge to make an educated decision on how to proceed? It seems a little long for her and a little heavy. She is able to shoot it fairly well off a rest, but we all know that is not a real world hunting scenario. Thanks.

OP
Yellowknife
What length of pull did you go with? I understand there are several methods of measuring it, but i'm just curious how you got to your measurement.

I went with about 12.5" Haven't measured it precisely, but cut just over an inch off of it.

It's probably a tad big for him this year, but it's doable and he's growing like mad. I can also still shoot it without getting too crunched up behind the scope.

Clarktar

WKR
Hows your son doing with that rifle Yellow?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk