Youth Thumb Release?

nn76858

FNG
Curious on you guys reccomendations for a thumb button release for my 7 year old. I shot an index finger for 20 years but in the last 5 the the thumb button release has helped my shooting tremendously. Thinking about getting him started on one early and getting away from the bad habits of punching a trigger......any advise on brands and experiences w dif releases for a youth is greatly appreciated.

It's just as easy to punch a thumb as an index. I'd just focus on letting him have fun with it for now.

Several smaller wrist straps and thumb releases, I like the spot hogg stuff for the price. Friday or Saturday night is a pretty small one. Just tell him to pull through, he needs to try to break the bow in half while at full draw. The problems with punching come from collapsing at the shot.

nphunter

WKR
I started my boys out shooting hinges pretty early. I had spot Hogg thumb releases and they punched them just as bad as a trigger. They both shoot truball sweet spot hinge releases now, they have a safety and are great releases. They hunt with them as well.

My youngest was probably around your kids age maybe slightly older when switching them over. Tried the evolution tension release also and it didn’t work well for them. You can punch any release but the hinges really helped slow down the shot and even when they anticipate with the hinge they make much better shots than they use to with the wrist straps.

I would also start them off just shooting with fingers or a wrist strap just getting use to the bow, focus on form more than anything. Once they become pretty accurate and have good form then make the switch. One of the biggest issues I see with young kids is having a bow that is too heavy for them, heavy bows tend to make kids lean back to try to hold them up.
3C7393AF-A5AE-4676-A013-2344932C0E58.jpeg
6D694F0F-023F-4CC4-B534-EF01E9A416C5.jpeg
5CC110B8-A752-484A-8A28-0E38828D598A.jpeg