Youth western hunt

kipper09

WKR
Trying to plan ahead a little and want some input. I have a little boy that’s 5 years old and he absolutely loves to hunt and fish. I do quite a bit of western big game hunting myself and am looking forward to taking him along. The question is what would be good hunts for him at a young age? Say 7-12 years old? And maybe what states can he harvest animals? I’m not totally Diy. We can go guided. I been thinking antelope for our first trip or mule deer? Any input I would love to hear. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I take lots of new youth hunters each year turkey hunting. I have a minimum age of 12. Now that can vary depending on the kid. My suggestion is to get them into the basics. I would not even suggest any organized hunt until around 10. Experience with other hunts and understanding what they are going to be doing will make the experience better.

Do not have your kid get into a hunt where it is too hard or difficult and give them a hunting scar that prevents them from growing into the sport. I've seen it happen, and I have done it myself.

You need to hunt at THEIR level, not yours.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Nebraska turkey was my son's first big game harvest, a Wyoming antelope hunt was his first time tagging along with me. The antelope one was a good time, the unit we hunted has some good fishing, and there's so many antelope around that we really didnt need to spend too much time actually hunting hahaha. When they are that young, you really are not there to harvest animals, you are there to plant some seeds. You gotta have nice weather, a decent chance of seeing some animals, and no pressure to do something they dont want to do. Have backup plans on backup plans, think of non-hunting things you can fall back on, whether its fishing, going to look for some other type of animal you arent hunting, or just hanging out at camp teaching them how to start a campfire.

You need to look at the regs in each state you consider. Some have a minimum age of 12, like Colorado, and some 10, like Nebraska. Good advice already given, as my boys were all different. My 10 year old right now will put hunt grown men, but my 15 year old is the opposite. Keep them entertained, that is the main thing. Camping, fire building, fishing are all part of the experience for them. Also, don’t get upset when they don’t want to get up in the morning. I had to really work on that.