Youtube jockeys losing credibility

My opinion is one of a new elk hunter who would give just about anything to shoot a legal bull. I pretty much live on utube, especially this time of year being laid off. I watch all the big names down to guys filming themselves with a go pro. No one has lost any credibility with me. These guys that kill bulls time after time, a lot of time with otc tags are gods to me. I actually like it when they shoot a lesser bill because it reiterates to me just how difficult it actually is. And I also know that you can’t kill what’s not there. Just my 2 cents for what it’s worth!
Lol I’m sure these guys don’t want you to view them as gods. They are just as human as we are and believe it or not, make mistakes on occasion themselves. However when they do make mistakes, they learn and have short memories. You have to have a short memory.

And here’s what I mean by that and I’ll use the NFL or Not For Long league as an example. A QB who throws an interception has to forget about it in short order. The winning drive may be his next possession or at least contribute to the winning drive later in the game. If he has a bad game he needs to shake it off and be on top of his game next time around. If he can’t shake off an interception or occasional bad game, that’s where the “Not for Long” part comes in cuz he won’t last in the National Football League.

when I first started, I was just not very good at “reading the encounter”. I had Paul’s (Elknut1) PlayBook, later DVD’s and then the app, and was killing elk, but I sure screwed up a ton of opportunities too. When I screwed up I was guilty on occasion of dwelling on what had happened instead of staying sharp and focused. And having a short memory. This cost me some golden opportunities in those early days because in the blink of an eye, there would be a bull that would appear and I’d be pissed off at myself for screwing up, walking to fast or just not paying attention or be prepared, and because of that, I would get busted because the bull saw me, smelled me or heard me.

gotta have a short memory and stay on top of your game when an opportunity goes awry. Your next opportunity could be 30 seconds from your last ;) I would highly recommend Elknut’s app if you don’t already have it. In fact now that I have a different phone, I need to get it again myself.

Bhanes

FNG
Lol I’m sure these guys don’t want you to view them as gods. They are just as human as we are and believe it or not, make mistakes on occasion themselves. However when they do make mistakes, they learn and have short memories. You have to have a short memory.

And here’s what I mean by that and I’ll use the NFL or Not For Long league as an example. A QB who throws an interception has to forget about it in short order. The winning drive may be his next possession or at least contribute to the winning drive later in the game. If he has a bad game he needs to shake it off and be on top of his game next time around. If he can’t shake off an interception or occasional bad game, that’s where the “Not for Long” part comes in cuz he won’t last in the National Football League.

when I first started, I was just not very good at “reading the encounter”. I had Paul’s (Elknut1) PlayBook, later DVD’s and then the app, and was killing elk, but I sure screwed up a ton of opportunities too. When I screwed up I was guilty on occasion of dwelling on what had happened instead of staying sharp and focused. And having a short memory. This cost me some golden opportunities in those early days because in the blink of an eye, there would be a bull that would appear and I’d be pissed off at myself for screwing up, walking to fast or just not paying attention or be prepared, and because of that, I would get busted because the bull saw me, smelled me or heard me.

gotta have a short memory and stay on top of your game when an opportunity goes awry. Your next opportunity could be 30 seconds from your last ;) I would highly recommend Elknut’s app if you don’t already have it. In fact now that I have a different phone, I need to get it again myself.
I know that hunters, whether professional (whatever that means) or just a guy who consistently kill bulls are just normal people. As far as looking at them as gods, obviously that is an exaggeration. I don’t really get into mainstream sports, so my “heroes” are more unconventional. I would rather meet the elk nut himself rather than Lebron James, or Patrick mahomes or any other superstar/celebrity. That’s what I mean by they r gods to me.

I understand about forgetting mistakes and keep moving forward. One issue that I run into is, I don’t know what mistake/mistakes I am making because I have only had 1 true encounter with elk. I mis judged the distance and shot low. Not to mention, watching a very nice bull come through a meadow to my cow calls, bugling the entire way, black from wallowing, I was rattled!!! I held it togwther better than I thought I would but coming from pa and only ever shooting whitetail, it was a pretty wild experience. I misjudged yardage and rushed the shot. I am struggling to find the elk and knowing how far to move when you don’t find them. I thought I knew what I was doing because I did the elk university, watched every uncle Randy episode multiple times, listened to every elk talk podcast, I had it all figured out. Then I arrived in Colorado and folded up like an old lawn chair! But I won’t give up, I will figure it out. My buddies did get into elk last year and killed a couple calves and one missed a bull. My house burned down last feb so I was dealing with building a house and living in a camper so I couldn’t go.

The HUSHIN crew is pretty excited about this thread distracting everyone from whatever they f'd up or wounded on video this week.

You put yourself on video and cash the checks, you invite the haters even if you're one of the good guys like the elk 101 guys. They have their style, those other 2 guys they have with them use a different style and they both work. Overall it's pretty good entertainment but no one is making me watch it.

Who here wouldn't shoot a pretty good bull at 8 yards after 10 days of hunting hard on public land?

Electronics have really changed the industry, it has evolved into a giant race for the most “likes”.

I’ve noticed that a large portion of our local meat hunters transitioned to horn hunters that now frown on us hunters who hunt for meat.

I miss the 90’s where most locals supported each other regardless of the the size of the animal. Boy times have changed!

I know that hunters, whether professional (whatever that means) or just a guy who consistently kill bulls are just normal people. As far as looking at them as gods, obviously that is an exaggeration. I don’t really get into mainstream sports, so my “heroes” are more unconventional. I would rather meet the elk nut himself rather than Lebron James, or Patrick mahomes or any other superstar/celebrity. That’s what I mean by they r gods to me.

I understand about forgetting mistakes and keep moving forward. One issue that I run into is, I don’t know what mistake/mistakes I am making because I have only had 1 true encounter with elk. I mis judged the distance and shot low. Not to mention, watching a very nice bull come through a meadow to my cow calls, bugling the entire way, black from wallowing, I was rattled!!! I held it togwther better than I thought I would but coming from pa and only ever shooting whitetail, it was a pretty wild experience. I misjudged yardage and rushed the shot. I am struggling to find the elk and knowing how far to move when you don’t find them. I thought I knew what I was doing because I did the elk university, watched every uncle Randy episode multiple times, listened to every elk talk podcast, I had it all figured out. Then I arrived in Colorado and folded up like an old lawn chair! But I won’t give up, I will figure it out. My buddies did get into elk last year and killed a couple calves and one missed a bull. My house burned down last feb so I was dealing with building a house and living in a camper so I couldn’t go.
Wow that sucks about your house! Sorry to hear that! The rest of your post was kinda humorous though. You definitely have the attitude it will take! I predict a big gut pile in your future. And for the record, I can’t stand Lebron BLM James either! And I grew up in Akron not too far from where he was from

wapitibob

WKR
If my hunting partner blew on that bugle with a bunch of Elk at less than 100 yards, looking right at us like in last nights episode I'd have wrapped his bugle tube around the nearest tree.

My Calling is Tailored to a bulls emotion & mindset for that situation. Sometimes my calling is done in a subtle approach or going Full Send, all depends on his state of mind & where he's at. I treat all bulls as individuals for best results!

ElkNut
ELKNUT1: Curious - do you ever watch elk hunting videos on Youtube and critique them to yourself ? Say if a bull bugles and the caller responds a certain way - do you think well if he would have done this (or I would have done this) the result would probably be totally different ?

After all the success you have had calling in elk how many bulls still amaze you by their reaction or lack there of - are there still bulls which have baffled you in their response.

You see people on forums say I wish i could spend a day with so in so celebrity - Hahahahah...for me it would be following you around the elk woods just one day !

Brendan

WKR
My opinion is one of a new elk hunter who would give just about anything to shoot a legal bull. I pretty much live on utube, especially this time of year being laid off. I watch all the big names down to guys filming themselves with a go pro. No one has lost any credibility with me. These guys that kill bulls time after time, a lot of time with otc tags are gods to me. I actually like it when they shoot a lesser bill because it reiterates to me just how difficult it actually is. And I also know that you can’t kill what’s not there. Just my 2 cents for what it’s worth!

One thing to keep in mind - this is a little bit the problem. Everyone I have talked to in your situation has a completely warped sense of what it's really like to hunt elk, and what it takes to kill elk until they've gotten out and done it a couple times.

Even the guys who've done it a couple times don't have it figured out and in a lot of cases are mis-applying what they see/hear on Youtube, or getting lead astray by some of them (e.g. - You can't call like Corey Jacobsen, so don't go around bugling your head off thinking you can...) I don't consider myself great at it by any means, but I am proud of the fact I'm 50% on DIY Elk over 6 trips, plus a whitetail and an antelope all self taught...

From a calling perspective, I'd encourage everyone to listen to some of Chris Roe's (Roe Hunting Resources) work and podcasts, and some of his latest conversations on calling with Aron on Kifarucast. I'm a big fan of RHR and Elknut, but you have to know what type of calling (passive vs. more challenging) fits the situation... I like RHR's lost/assembly sequences, and Elknut's advertising / cold calling sequences for most situations.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't Corey Jacobsen a 5 or 6 time elk calling champion? Yet the OP is criticizing him for his calling tactics to find elk??? That's equivalent to being a multi-WS of Poker champion, and spending your time at the craps table to make a living.

Corey's the best caller I've ever head on any YouTube channel. I really enjoy his subdued tempo and calm characteristics. I'm over the BRO hooping, hollering, and screaming all the time.

Both kill elk though, that's for sure!

Bhanes

FNG
Wow that sucks about your house! Sorry to hear that! The rest of your post was kinda humorous though. You definitely have the attitude it will take! I predict a big gut pile in your future. And for the record, I can’t stand Lebron BLM James either! And I grew up in Akron not too far from where he was from
Thanks man, it was definitely not fun, and then to have covid hit 3 weeks later, we were living in a motel and they shut everything down! No continental breakfast, no pool, no half assed 5’x5’ gym, nothing. But such is life right, we grinned and beared it, then when it got warmer we moved into our camper on our property which was a slight improvement except on rainy days. I hope you’re right about the big guy pile man, at this point I feel like it’s a unicorn, but I am not giving up! I envy folks who grew up in/around elk territory. I often think about relocating to “elk country”! My teenage daughters don’t think it’s nearly as great of an idea as I do though! Hahahaha

Bhanes

FNG
If I'm not mistaken, isn't Corey Jacobsen a 5 or 6 time elk calling champion? Yet the OP is criticizing him for his calling tactics to find elk??? That's equivalent to being a multi-WS of Poker champion, and spending your time at the craps table to make a living.

Corey's the best caller I've ever head on any YouTube channel. I really enjoy his subdued tempo and calm characteristics. I'm over the BRO hooping, hollering, and screaming all the time.

11 times, but it’s no big deal! Hahahaha

I would take those contests with a grain of salt. Last time I checked no elk are in the audience. Plenty of guys that can call and get it done as good or if not better than Corey that don't compete in those. Calling is also only a small tool in your belt to consistently kill elk.

Bhanes

FNG
One thing to keep in mind - this is a little bit the problem. Everyone I have talked to in your situation has a completely warped sense of what it's really like to hunt elk, and what it takes to kill elk until they've gotten out and done it a couple times.

Even the guys who've done it a couple times don't have it figured out and in a lot of cases are mis-applying what they see/hear on Youtube, or getting lead astray by some of them (e.g. - You can't call like Corey Jacobsen, so don't go around bugling your head off thinking you can...) I don't consider myself great at it by any means, but I am proud of the fact I'm 50% on DIY Elk over 6 trips, plus a whitetail and an antelope all self taught...

From a calling perspective, I'd encourage everyone to listen to some of Chris Roe's (Roe Hunting Resources) work and podcasts, and some of his latest conversations on calling with Aron on Kifarucast. I'm a big fan of RHR and Elknut, but you have to know what type of calling (passive vs. more challenging) fits the situation... I like RHR's lost/assembly sequences, and Elknut's advertising / cold calling sequences for most

Ya know, I can’t entirely figure out how I feel about born and raised. I know the l.o.f 3 videos were way too long, and way too many! And I don’t care for the short squirrelly guy

Brendan

WKR
Ya know, I can’t entirely figure out how I feel about born and raised. I know the l.o.f 3 videos were way too long, and way too many! And I don’t care for the short squirrelly guy

Watch them all as entertainment. That's it. I wouldn't even recommend most people watch Corey for Elk Hunting advice, although if I was listening to someone who's calling ability I'd want to imitate, he'd be the guy. He has on multiple times said he'll walk by 9 Bulls to find the 10th that wants to play the game his way, and has focused on getting close and using real aggressive tactics which can blow out a lot of bulls....

Bhanes

FNG
Watch them all as entertainment. That's it. I wouldn't even recommend most people watch Corey for Elk Hunting advice, although if I was listening to someone who's calling ability I'd want to imitate, he'd be the guy. He has on multiple times said he'll walk by 9 Bulls to find the 10th that wants to play the game his way, and has focused on getting close and using real aggressive tactics which can blow out a lot of bulls....
I do watch for entertainment but I also try to gain some knowledge! It reminds me of a mike Tyson quote. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. You can watch all the videos you want to, listen to all the podcasts, practice calling, the whole 9 yards. But it will mostly be out the window when you put your boots on the ground. But I would rather spend my vacation sleeping on an air mattress with the same comfort level as a pizza box, freezing my ass off in the morning only to sweat my ass off when the sun comes up, not seeing any elk, than spend 1 miserable day at the beach!!

I do watch for entertainment but I also try to gain some knowledge! It reminds me of a mike Tyson quote. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. You can watch all the videos you want to, listen to all the podcasts, practice calling, the whole 9 yards. But it will mostly be out the window when you put your boots on the ground. But I would rather spend my vacation sleeping on an air mattress with the same comfort level as a pizza box, freezing my ass off in the morning only to sweat my ass off when the sun comes up, not seeing any elk, than spend 1 miserable day at the beach!!
Lol....IDK, on a beach with a Corona (the non-virus kind) sounds pretty sweet right now!

That is a great point! And one worth mentioning. We can watch the videos, DVD’s, and look at the apps, but until you have those experiences, our reaction time from what our eyes see or ears hear, and what we do next takes a second or 2 and could be the difference of a full ice chest, or tag soup. Trusting what our senses are telling us so we make the right decisions is huge. That’s why having those encounters/experiences is so important in shaping us as hunters. The failed attempts lead to success once that light bulb comes on. I am only speaking from my experiences obviously.

Bhanes

FNG
That is a great point! And one worth mentioning. We can watch the videos, DVD’s, and look at the apps, but until you have those experiences, our reaction time from what our eyes see or ears hear, and what we do next takes a second or 2 and could be the difference of a full ice chest, or tag soup. Trusting what our senses are telling us so we make the right decisions is huge. That’s why having those encounters/experiences is so important in shaping us as hunters. The failed attempts lead to success once that light bulb comes on. I am only speaking from my experiences obviously.
Yea, I can see it developing. It still seems far off but coming together. Are you in the mountains a lot in the off-season? Just watching and learning elk?

. Dude... I'm not shooting a 4-5 point bull on the last day of my hunt when I have no elk in the freezer!
That just makes you extremely stupid, or a part time vegan. Are you eating the antlers or something that just requires a monster bull? I elk hunt TO FILL the freezer, and I bet the guys you're moaning about like eating it too.

Is there fine print on their products that says trophy bulls only? Is that why you're upset?