Yukon Moose this weekend

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Not much time to hunt lately but I managed to take Friday off, study my maps of the Yukon and find a place suited well to the surface drive engine and my big 21 foot Scott Freighter canoe. This rig is very shallow water capable and I also brought a big Tripper canoe to portage into some little hunted further lakes. Didn't need it as 3 hours into the hunt we saw a moose moving out ahead of us in the very shallow connector between two lakes. Loaded up the 71 and followed slowly. Around a bend and there was a small bull with one antler. (Before I go any further In the Yukon a boat is not considered a power vehicle)

Got as close as I could and shut off the motor for the final glide. The cow vanished up an escape route and as I hoped the bull followed her across the narrow channel. ( cleaning a bull in water isn't fun) As he stepped onto dry land I threaded a bullet between two willow thickets and thought I saw hip drop....after that he vanished from sight.

Range was perhaps 125 yards. We edged closer and I landed at a game trail I thought he had used...no bull. I went up the hill and at the hill top it opened into a nice semi-clearing... No bull. No blood trail. My son came up to join me and said he thought he had heard something groan about 20 yards from where I started up the hill. Went down and sure enough there was my bull. He hadn't moved from when hit, I had simply landed too early and picked the wrong trail. 6 hours later he was in my boat and my back was very sore!

200 grain Hornady bullet hit the shoulder and showed perfect performance for a deer possibly elk but a bit low on penetration for moose. That said I have never dropped a moose like this before even with the 358 Norma.

Lessons learned: 1) the 200 Hornady might be a bit frangible for something as big as a moose especially when you hit bone. 2) Moose quarters are very heavy, 3) I am really stiff today,,need to hit the weights more consistently. 3) I love the freighter canoe and Louisiana Mud Motor combo..made for each other and this kind of land scape.

Expect a 12 hour day today meat processing but have a video on the go and more pictures. Here are three to get the party started.

1) Loading the beast.
Screen_Shot_2016-10-01_at_8_47_11_PM3.png

2) The moose following his girl friend across the channel
Screen_Shot_2016-10-01_at_8_53_33_PM.png

3) Moose down 5 yards from the waters edge and our canoe can get very close (thank-goodness).

Screen_Shot_2016-10-01_at_8_58_32_PM.png

More pictures but video ready here:

Yukon moose for the freezer, 348 Win, via canoe with surface drive. - YouTube

Last edited:

Stid2677

WKR
Well done,, is that one of Mike's canoes? Congrats on the meat.

Steve

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the moose, and from a canoe makes it even better.

OP
N

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Yes that's a Scott Canoe...they are now made in Quebec, though mine is 15 years old and was then made in Ontario....Awesome boat. 250 pounds and been on many an adventure.

Michael Manzo's boats are a little fancier with epoxy resin and plastic bottom armour. I did buy my Copperhead motor from Mike about 4 years ago and it's been a great combo.

Stid2677

WKR
Yes that's a Scott Canoe...they are now made in Quebec, though mine is 15 years old and was then made in Ontario....Awesome boat. 250 pounds and been on many an adventure.

Michael Manzo's boats are a little fancier with epoxy resin and plastic bottom armour. I did buy my Copperhead motor from Mike about 4 years ago and it's been a great combo.

Thanks for the reply,, been eyeing his work for a while. I'm getting to the go slower and enjoy the ride phase of life.

Congrats!!!

OP
N

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Retiring in 3 or 4 years and I have some week-2 week trips plotted that no one without a float plane or helicopter or a surface drive will be able to get too. Getting away from the crowd is half the battle.

From what I understand he does very nice work but getting your canoe once you've already paid for it can be pretty problematic. Kind of sounds to me like the whole Glacier Craft fiasco. Order your boat, pay for it, get a promise that you'll be cruising it around within six or eight months, and in actuality, you might see it a couple years down the road. I would definitely do your homework Steve, before giving him your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Michael has a small craft shop and so will have capacity limits. The Scott is always available. 2 good choices, one technically superior the other less expensive and more available.