Zamberlan vs lowa

Between Zamberlan and lowa, what has ypur experience been with durability, longevity and cost to re-sole? Bolth boots fit good but I'm just looking for general opinions from people that have used and abused them, to me the Zamberlan generally be better quality. Any information on these two would be greatly apreaciated.

Brooks

WKR
I’ve never owned Zamberlin boots but I’ve owned the Lowa Tibet GTX and personally have never owned a better boot for hunting, hiking or packing loads out of rocky, steep, rough country. I’m at the point where my Lowas are needing to be replaced about 7 years old and will probably buy another pair because they have been such good boots. Never a problem, never a blister. I guide a lot of hunts in NM and can’t have boots that tear my feet up. The Lowa boots and Smart Wool socks !!!

Yesterday I just bought my first pair of Tibets. I also have a pair of Zamberlan boots that are nearly 30 years old and am getting them resoled. was quoted 150-200 for the resole. Also Lowa will do a complete refurbish of boots where they replace the lining (goretex) complete resole etc for around the 200 mark. Essentially you end up with a new boot that has your broken in leather.

Hnthrdr

WKR
had some lowa’s in the army, they were fine but been using Salomon’s since then, they are great but don’t hold up, I now have some zamberlan lynx, seem like they need a little break in but so far really happy with them

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I've run Lowa Sheephunter and Tibet and Zamberlan 2092 and Guide. All excellent boots. Durability and longevity have been great, but that's dependent on miles. I would say my miles have been moderate. I haven't needed to resole them. My Sheephunters are still going strong 10+ years.

lowa, Zam and hanwag via like models all seem to be right on par with each other quality wise, atleast from my experience

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
Zamberlan leather is much thicker than Lowa, across all models I’ve ever owned (quite a few). Lowa resole service is also done in house in Germany and they come back looking great. Takes like 4 months. Zamberlan refers you to third party cobblers. I wasn’t impressed with what I got back, though it was obviously faster. Something else, if you care, is that Zamberlan is all made in house - meaning the uppers are stitched there as well. Lowa sends uppers sewn in Czech Republic to Germany and Italy for “made in” labels, which is allowable under EU rules. Gucci does this also, all uppers are made in Romania and the soles are attached in Italy and presto, made in Italy footwear.

Yesterday I just bought my first pair of Tibets. I also have a pair of Zamberlan boots that are nearly 30 years old and am getting them resoled. was quoted 150-200 for the resole. Also Lowa will do a complete refurbish of boots where they replace the lining (goretex) complete resole etc for around the 200 mark. Essentially you end up with a new boot that has your broken in leather.
When I sent mine in they came back with the same goretex leak they left with. It was also about $125. Year or two ago. Didn’t see that option.

Brooks

WKR
Just pulled the trigger on another pair of Lowa Tibet GTX boots.

Attachments

• 930B4810-D098-4B60-BE7D-522FF41CB2C5.jpeg
    930B4810-D098-4B60-BE7D-522FF41CB2C5.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 29

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve owned both. Zamberlan storm pros and lowa Tibet gtx.
Durability was about the same but my feet don’t really like the Zambelans. Lowa is my pick

Zamberlan leather is much thicker than Lowa, across all models I’ve ever owned (quite a few). Lowa resole service is also done in house in Germany and they come back looking great. Takes like 4 months. Zamberlan refers you to third party cobblers. I wasn’t impressed with what I got back, though it was obviously faster. Something else, if you care, is that Zamberlan is all made in house - meaning the uppers are stitched there as well. Lowa sends uppers sewn in Czech Republic to Germany and Italy for “made in” labels, which is allowable under EU rules. Gucci does this also, all uppers are made in Romania and the soles are attached in Italy and presto, made in Italy footwear.

When I sent mine in they came back with the same goretex leak they left with. It was also about $125. Year or two ago. Didn’t see that option.

This is what I was told at the dealer where I bought mine, hope that it was an accurate statement. I am in Alberta so Canuck bucks is part of the difference. Here Lowa goes to distributor in Quebec then on to germany for warranty claims.

Last edited:
As I was told they are sent to Germany for the rebuild from the Canadian distributor. I have no clue what happens in the U.S. and only know what I have stated here for my side of the Border. Ask me in 5-10 years what happened for the rebuild. My Zamberlans will get resoled in Lethbridge when the business orders more Vibram resoles because they do not have the ones I need in stock so I will have to wait for that.

Between Zamberlan and lowa, what has ypur experience been with durability, longevity and cost to re-sole? Bolth boots fit good but I'm just looking for general opinions from people that have used and abused them, to me the Zamberlan generally be better quality. Any information on these two would be greatly apreaciated.
I have been using Lowa Renegades for the past couple years, and they are indeed very good fitting and comfortable. However, my new Zamberlan 1996's are light years better than the Lowas. Much more durable, and more comfortable too. I think my Zamberlans might have just retired my Lowas.