Convince me Crispi makes a top quality boot ...

I'm in the market for a new pair of general use backcountry boots and have narrowed it down to the Zamberlan Tofane and Crispi Briksdal (non-insulated).

I go through boots quickly due to tonnes of off trail travel through swamps, rocks, logs, mud, snow, etc. I don't skimp on boots and have owned top tier models from Zamberlan, Asolo, Arc'teryx, Technica, etc. None last more than 2-3 seasons before being pretty much destroyed.

I know what am I getting for my $600 CDN with the Zamberlans. I don't with Crispi (same cost), having never owned a pair nor heard anything about them outside of the hunting space. I'm always leery of that. The Zamberlans (like La Sportiva, Scarpa, etc.) are well known in every sphere of backcountry use - hunting, backpacking, climbing/mountaineering.

Is Crispi a well marketed hunting space brand (the Vortex of boots as one person described it) or can they really mix it with the Zamberlans, Asolos, La Sportiva of the boot world?

As an aside, both boots fit me well and have pretty similar features I am looking for. It's really down to durability/quality at this point.

Thanks in advance for your feedback/opinion.

Last edited:
The Briksdal SF's are my only experience with Crispi. They are super comfortable and make for great sheep boots. However, I have destroyed two pairs. The rubber is soft and the sole tends to split. They seem to start leaking prematurely as well. My go to boot now are Hanwag Friction 2's, which are much more of a mountaineering boot and higher build quality in my opinion. Even with those, I only get 1 and a half seasons out of them. I don't think you can expect any more than 2 years out of any boot if you are hunting hard in rough terrain.

However, I'm a sucker for new boots and just ordered the Crispi Briksdal MTN's, their new synthetic version. They look pretty good to me.

ndbuck09

WKR
Crispi is just marketing blah. they've given away so many free pairs to anyone who has a platform it's ridiculous. If you have to give them away as much as they have, says something about what you think of the actual product selling itself on its merit vs selling because they get nearly anyone in the hunting industry to talk about them bc they got a pair for free.

I’ve always heard good things about Crispi, like stated above they do sponsor anyone with a platform. Was in the market last year for a pair and it came down the to Crispi or kenetreks, ended up with kenetreks but I’m sure I would have been happy with the Crispis too.

I’ve had several Zamberlands and got a pair of Crispis maybe four years ago. I don’t think they’re the same level of durability but they are more comfortable so I like them.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’ve had several Zamberlands and got a pair of Crispis maybe four years ago. I don’t think they’re the same level of durability but they are more comfortable so I like them.
Man, I couldn’t have said it better. My Zamberlans just aren’t comfortable.

I think Crispi makes a good boot. I was skeptical for many reasons and years, and glad I got a pair of Lapponias-like them so much I bought a second pair.

Just be aware of sizing….just tried a different pair (Attica lows) and they were off by over a size.

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I think my next pair of boots will be Crispi's. Currently using Lowa's. They are super durable but have always hurt my feet. Superfeet green insoles helped a little.

I currently own Zamberlans, which are really nice.
I read a lot of reviews on different websites that talked me out of Crispi.
No experience with them to report but enough negative reviews about water leaking to not take the chance.
I can't believe anybody still buys Danners.

Zslayer

FNG
I’ve had/have both. Zamberlans outlasted every pair of Crispi’s I’ve had. Especially in rocky terrain.

Bearsears

WKR
Ive had multiple Lowas, Salewa, and Zamberlan. I currently have a pair of Salewas for early season and a pair of insulated Zamberlans for late season. I currently have three friends that have had Crispis, only one of them is happy with them which coincidentally are the Briksdal. The other two either fell apart after one season, or they were really uncomfortable. Based on what Ive seen in my hunting party, I most likely wont be ever trying Crispi.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a pair of Crispi Thors that have 500+ miles (tough miles) and they are still going strong. Good, sticky outsole; stiff, but not overly stiff.

With boots, fit is first, if they don't fit I don't care how good of a boot they are, they aren't going to work. My Thors fit me like they were special made for me. I had one other boot that fit like that, a long discontinued La Sportiva.

They survived a five day backpacking (snowshoeing) trip across the Bob Marshall last winter (fording multiple rivers/creeks daily, fighting crazy amount of blowdown and post holing in 4+ feet of snow), any boot that survived that is a good boot imho.

edited to add they were frozen solid every morning :ROFLMAO:

OP
B
2-3 years is not what I consider going thru boots quickly. How long do you want them to last?

If you have boots you know work for you, imo you should buy more of that. Don't take chances out of curiosity.
I’m fine with them last that long given I how I use them.

And yes, leaning heavily towards the Zamberlans based on what I’ve read here about Crispi durability.

Bearsears

WKR
I’m fine with them last that long given I how I use them.

And yes, leaning heavily towards the Zamberlans based on what I’ve read here about Crispi durability.
About the only thing I dont like about the design of that Tofane is it doesnt have a full rand around it. Otherwise it looks like a great boot. mtwarden is right though. FIT IS EVERYTHING.

204guy

WKR
I’d say they probably are the vortex of boots. I’d never pay full retail for a pair it’s way to easy to find them discounted. But boots unlike binoculars wear out, so I’m good with crispis when I can get them at close out prices. Also Zamberlan and Crispi both make what 50 different types of boots from soft to hard can’t really compare the brand as much as individual boots.

Ten Bears

WKR
I have a pair of Thors that have past the 1000 mile mark in almost 3 years. They are my daily trail boots, bird hunting boots (btw tall sharp grass and briars destroy boots) , and have seen 5 out west trips. Probably going to wear them for this season too. Quite possibly the best all around lightweight boot that exists.