Zeiss Ballistic Calculator

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone out there speak to the accuracy of the ballistic calculator Zeiss has on their website? I have the Conquest 3-9x40 Rapid Z 600 reticle on my 270wsm. I hit the range yesterday for some shooting. With my load data, the Zeiss calculator says that my second reticle down should be on at 305. I shot my second reticle down at a 200yd target and am shooting 1" high. If I'm hitting 1" high at 200yds it seems like I should actually be hitting low at 305, not dead on like the calculator says. I didn't get to shoot out to 300 yds to test the accuracy.

I know these ballistic drop calculators aren't always accurate and some are better than others. Just trying to get a feel for others experience with Zeiss' calculator.

Sounds like you might have a 100 yd zero? The RZ- series relies on a 200 yd zero.

I've used mine with a dozen loads and have always have found the calculator to be dead on, assuming my inputs were good.

Best method seems to be to zero at 200, then fine tune at 400. If using an un-verified velocity number, I adjust power to compensate high / low hits. If using a known (chrono'd) MV, its usually very close and I use the scope turrets to fine tune if needed.

The 600 isn't going to be a great match for the .270 wsm, but you probably already knew that.

Yk