Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 - best all around binocular?

brmtn

WKR
I've been using a pair of 8x32 Conquest HDs next to my SLC 8x30s for about 6 weeks now. I like them both quite a bit. I also compared both with an EL Field Pro 8x32. Here are my thoughts:

Ergos - Conquest have a nice heft and easy handling, focus wheel is in the right place for natural use for me. SLCs are very nice in hand, maybe a little small for me (big hands) and the focus wheel at the far end of the bridge is a little different but not a big deal. Slight edge to Conquest but this could go either way depending on you and your preferences.

Focuser - Conquest is very light and super fast, it also stops not far beyond infinity. Close focus is incredible. SLC is a lot stiffer (relative to Zeiss) and with the smaller focus knob and using a middle or ring finger it will occasionally be a bit of a hurdle to get focused quickly. SLC focuser location precludes the use of an Outdoorman's stud... Not that you need one for binoculars this size. Conquest wins easily.

Build quality - Conquest is rugged and mildly "agricultural" when compared to Zeiss Victory series or the SLC. SLC is classic Swaro... Very high quality built with superior fit & finish. The armor on the Conquest is robust but my hands sweat more using it than the SLC. SLCs metal eyecups are nicer than Zeiss plastic. SLC edges the Zeiss in this category.

Warranty - Haven't had to use Zeiss warranty ever, so can't really compare. I was using the Swaros in some really cold weather back in Dec and they fogged/iced up. Sent them in to SONA and 3-4 weeks later I had an essentially new pair of binoculars back in my hands, free of charge. I am not the original owner of the Swaros but that did not matter. Swaro has kept me as the owner of a scope and three pairs of high-end binoculars for this reason.

Ok, the all important part; the view - Conquest feel like they have a slightly larger FOV... It's pretty close though. The view through the Conquest is just superb. I own and have owned several alphas and many very good binoculars from Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, Meopta, Nikon, Swift... this is an alpha view, without question. My only knocks are mild CA (increasing towards field edge) in lighting you'd expect to bring it out and that the view can occasionally leave my eyes feeling strained after lots of glassing. Otherwise, the clarity, resolution, definition and viewing experience are essentially as good as my Victory SFs or Swaro EL SVs. The SLCs have a very good to excellent view. CA is somewhat less than the Conquests. Resolution and contrast are just a tiny but noticeable step below the Conquest. There is a ring of glare that occurs in the SLCs that does not in the Conquest, so, the Conquest manage glare better. Bottom line, I just plain see more detail with the Zeiss. If I'm watching ducks, geese or Herons on the far side of my pond (which I do daily from my kitchen window), and I need to ID something, I might be able to with the Swaros... I almost certainly will be able to with the Conquest. And... This is the same with the EL Field Pros... the Conquest (approx 10 years old) could make out as much (or more) detail at almost any distance than a pair of 2020 EL Field Pros.

The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32s are awesome binoculars. The only two I have used that surpass it (in terms of view) are my Victory SF 10x42s and Swaro SLC HD 15x56s... Primarily because both manage CA better. The Conquests have that "wow" factor.

I still use the SLCs almost daily, because I bought the Conquests for my wife, but when I'm home on the weekend I really like using the Conquests. The fact that they cost me $1000 less than a pair of ELs doesn't hurt either.

Hefe1980

FNG
I've been using a pair of 8x32 Conquest HDs next to my SLC 8x30s for about 6 weeks now. I like them both quite a bit. I also compared both with an EL Field Pro 8x32. Here are my thoughts:

Ergos - Conquest have a nice heft and easy handling, focus wheel is in the right place for natural use for me. SLCs are very nice in hand, maybe a little small for me (big hands) and the focus wheel at the far end of the bridge is a little different but not a big deal. Slight edge to Conquest but this could go either way depending on you and your preferences.

Focuser - Conquest is very light and super fast, it also stops not far beyond infinity. Close focus is incredible. SLC is a lot stiffer (relative to Zeiss) and with the smaller focus knob and using a middle or ring finger it will occasionally be a bit of a hurdle to get focused quickly. SLC focuser location precludes the use of an Outdoorman's stud... Not that you need one for binoculars this size. Conquest wins easily.

Build quality - Conquest is rugged and mildly "agricultural" when compared to Zeiss Victory series or the SLC. SLC is classic Swaro... Very high quality built with superior fit & finish. The armor on the Conquest is robust but my hands sweat more using it than the SLC. SLCs metal eyecups are nicer than Zeiss plastic. SLC edges the Zeiss in this category.

Warranty - Haven't had to use Zeiss warranty ever, so can't really compare. I was using the Swaros in some really cold weather back in Dec and they fogged/iced up. Sent them in to SONA and 3-4 weeks later I had an essentially new pair of binoculars back in my hands, free of charge. I am not the original owner of the Swaros but that did not matter. Swaro has kept me as the owner of a scope and three pairs of high-end binoculars for this reason.

Ok, the all important part; the view - Conquest feel like they have a slightly larger FOV... It's pretty close though. The view through the Conquest is just superb. I own and have owned several alphas and many very good binoculars from Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, Meopta, Nikon, Swift... this is an alpha view, without question. My only knocks are mild CA (increasing towards field edge) in lighting you'd expect to bring it out and that the view can occasionally leave my eyes feeling strained after lots of glassing. Otherwise, the clarity, resolution, definition and viewing experience are essentially as good as my Victory SFs or Swaro EL SVs. The SLCs have a very good to excellent view. CA is somewhat less than the Conquests. Resolution and contrast are just a tiny but noticeable step below the Conquest. There is a ring of glare that occurs in the SLCs that does not in the Conquest, so, the Conquest manage glare better. Bottom line, I just plain see more detail with the Zeiss. If I'm watching ducks, geese or Herons on the far side of my pond (which I do daily from my kitchen window), and I need to ID something, I might be able to with the Swaros... I almost certainly will be able to with the Conquest. And... This is the same with the EL Field Pros... the Conquest (approx 10 years old) could make out as much (or more) detail at almost any distance than a pair of 2020 EL Field Pros.

The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32s are awesome binoculars. The only two I have used that surpass it (in terms of view) are my Victory SF 10x42s and Swaro SLC HD 15x56s... Primarily because both manage CA better. The Conquests have that "wow" factor.

I still use the SLCs almost daily, because I bought the Conquests for my wife, but when I'm home on the weekend I really like using the Conquests. The fact that they cost me $1000 less than a pair of ELs doesn't hurt either.
Great review. I'm currently looking to get a pair of conquests to add to my collection. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OP
Newtosavage
@Newtosavage I’ll be getting some 8x30/32’s soon. Between Zeiss and the Swaro Companions, which is the better bino regardless of price?
Better for me? Zeiss. Because I can use a standard 1/4x20 tripod adapter. Better image overall? Probably a toss up if you're talking about the latest model, but the original Companions were no match for the Conquest HD's. Great image. Just not as bright.

10ringer

WKR
Do you feel the conquest 8x32’s have sufficient light gathering at dawn and dusk for hunting? Also do they hold their own mounted to a tripod picking apart the landscape say compared to a 8x42 or 10x50?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how are the alpha 32's from Leica not in this discussion? I don't think you guys are done shopping yet, better check out the ultravid hd's and whatever their latest top one might be...noctovid? anyhow clearly there's some 32's that still need to be checked out, are the alpha Zeiss even mentioned?

For the price the Conquest HDs are great. But, really big but They don’t run with Swaro Els, Leica Hd or HD plus or the Zeiss Victory FLs.

I am continually buying and trading top end glass and if you want a Best Buy the Conquest HDs are it, but they are not the best out their for sure.

After having tried them a all, literally, I have now settled on what I think is the best 8x32 glass out there especially when you take in the size and weight factor. Zeiss victory FL 8x32 later model with loutec coating. Close, very close second is the Leica HD/HD plus, I can’t tell the difference with the plus.

I bought my anib victory fls a month ago for about the same price as nib conquest HDs.

My advice get a good used deal on the conquest but before buying one new get a good used deal on an real alpha bin and don’t look back.

Be safe boys. Spence

tdhanses

WKR
Do you feel the conquest 8x32’s have sufficient light gathering at dawn and dusk for hunting? Also do they hold their own mounted to a tripod picking apart the landscape say compared to a 8x42 or 10x50?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes they do just fine.

JGRaider

WKR
For the price the Conquest HDs are great. But, really big but They don’t run with Swaro Els, Leica Hd or HD plus or the Zeiss Victory FLs.

I am continually buying and trading top end glass and if you want a Best Buy the Conquest HDs are it, but they are not the best out their for sure.

After having tried them a all, literally, I have now settled on what I think is the best 8x32 glass out there especially when you take in the size and weight factor. Zeiss victory FL 8x32 later model with loutec coating. Close, very close second is the Leica HD/HD plus, I can’t tell the difference with the plus.

I bought my anib victory fls a month ago for about the same price as nib conquest HDs.

My advice get a good used deal on the conquest but before buying one new get a good used deal on an real alpha bin and don’t look back.

Be safe boys. Spence
Spence, I realize you're talking about 32's, but wondering if you've fiddled with the Meopta Meopro Air?

No I haven’t tried the Airs, I like most Meoptas stuff, tried their older cabelas 8x32s, good not great

jayhawk

WKR
I have 10x42 Conquests and I really like them. Glad to hear their other models are excellent as well! I've never been disappointed in Zeiss.

WRO

WKR
I'd take the new 8x42 nls..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Newtosavage,

Are you still sold on the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32's? I bought a new pair at a heavily discounted price from SW and am debating whether to keep them or return them and pay significantly more for a pair of Conquest 8x42's. Since I didn't get drawn for anything this year, I'm going to try general wildlife watching, including birds. I figure this will be good practice for when hunting season comes along next year. I've read some of your previous posts on optics and you appear to have tried most of what's available and would appreciate your opinion.

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
Newtosavage,

Are you still sold on the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32's? I bought a new pair at a heavily discounted price from SW and am debating whether to keep them or return them and pay significantly more for a pair of Conquest 8x42's. Since I didn't get drawn for anything this year, I'm going to try general wildlife watching, including birds. I figure this will be good practice for when hunting season comes along next year. I've read some of your previous posts on optics and you appear to have tried most of what's available and would appreciate your opinion.
I've owned the Conquest HD 8x32's for several years and find them exceptional. I would not pay more to get the 8x42's. In my opinion I don't think there is any noticeable loss optically with the 32mm vs 42mm lenses. I find them the perfect compact size, and on many hunts at first and last light I had no problem picking apart the landscape and spotting animals. Good to hear that you found a great deal on them. I'd hang on to them for sure.