Zeiss V8 Vs V6

Despotes

FNG
Is there a noticeable difference in optical performance between these two?
My 27 Nosler needs a hunting companion.

Mojave

WKR
The V8 is a big heavy German with tons of optical quality.

It will be similar to the higher end Swarovski Z8 and Kahles 5-25. Leica currently isn't making a super Alpha optic they are importing into America.

Other contenders other than Zeiss would be 34mm Nightforce, Zero Compramise, Minox THLR models and Schmidt Bender.

Do you want a super light high quality optic, and aren't fussy about reticles, focal plane or MIL/MOA the V8 is awesome. But if you are a dialer, compare it to actual military/tactical 34mm scopes from Kahles, Minox, Schmidt Bender, Nightforce and others.

If you are going to pack it far the 34mm scopes suck.

OP
D

Despotes

FNG
Yes, light as possible, SFP, wide FOV and generous eyebox. Some dialing. Not a lot.
Also looking at the S&B T96 3-12X56. Not too heavy. 23.8oz

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
The V6 is not an alpha scope. I think it is made in America out of German produced parts.

It is nice, but it isn't a top tear German scope.

the V8 is an alpha scope, even if it isn't a military scope. The Hendsolt is Zeiss' military line.

Like Kahles now is for Swarovski, and Minox now is for Blaser.

OP
D

Despotes

FNG
I ordered the V6. My curiosity for the past few years needs to be extinguished. Cheaper first, then if I'm not satisfied, I'll try more expensive.
Hopefully it's not anything like the Zeiss HD5 I tried years ago. It actually sucked in low light and day light.

OP
D

Despotes

FNG
Just received the V6 3-18X50 today and the first thing I noticed was the misaligned mag ring which also feels gritty from 3X-10X(if that really is 3X and not 2.5X). My Swarovski Z3 3-10X42 has better image quality at 10X than does the V6 at 10X. At 18X it's very milky, low contrast.
The specs on the V6 are amazing which is very odd considering the image quality doesn't coincide. Made in Germany?

Attachments

• Zeiss.jpg
    Zeiss.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Zeiss2.jpg
    Zeiss2.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 28

morzboss

FNG
Classified Approved
Any update on the glass m? Did you end up liking it or buying something else

OP
D

Despotes

FNG
V6 is long gone. Glass quality is average to disappointing. I now have a TT 315M. Very happy. Still would like to try a T96

morzboss

FNG
Classified Approved
V6 is long gone. Glass quality is average to disappointing. I now have a TT 315M. Very happy. Still would like to try a T96
That’s quite the leap in fund! I had never heard of the scope until just now! T96 looks interesting!

The V6 is not an alpha scope. I think it is made in America out of German produced parts.

It is nice, but it isn't a top tear German scope.

the V8 is an alpha scope, even if it isn't a military scope. The Hendsolt is Zeiss' military line.

Like Kahles now is for Swarovski, and Minox now is for Blaser.

The Zeiss Conquest V6 is made in Germany with Schott glass. I own two of them.

Interesting. My V6 scopes have been excellent. I will say at full magnification they lose some sharpness but low power, the resolution, clarity and low light performance has been excellent.

Mojave

WKR
My V8 is out of this world. There is nothing wrong with the V6 but it is a lot closer to a Nightforce.

Then again it isn't even half the cost of a V8.

8grenade

FNG
They are outstanding optics. The scope tube is 36mm. The 2.8-20x56 is great option for hunting, and has plenty of elevation travel. The digital illumination is very, very nice, and the dot illuminates perfectly round, no halo or starburst shape, and with 20x, you can do some serious long-range work. I doubt there is any other brand of riflescope that delivers the image quality and light transmission in the 20x power class than the V8. Yes, I've shot them and have them.

Mojave

WKR
I have the V8 Victory 1.8.-14x50, and I think it is 34 or 36mm, it has a rail on it so I have never measured it. The new ones are 30mm.

It is a big fatty Hubble telescope looking thing. But man is it nice to look through. The adjustments feel like a Swiss Watch. I would own another one.

talllogic

FNG
I have the V8 Victory 1.8.-14x50, and I think it is 34 or 36mm, it has a rail on it so I have never measured it. The new ones are 30mm.

It is a big fatty Hubble telescope looking thing. But man is it nice to look through. The adjustments feel like a Swiss Watch. I would own another one.
I’m quite interested in this model - with the 36mm tube. Do you / would you find it too (top) heavy for a <7lbs hunting rifle? Is it bulky to the point that it’s difficult to get in and out of a pack? Many thanks!

Mojave

WKR
It is on a 7.5 pound Blaser r8. Nothing wrong with it at all. Less than ideal as a backpack rifle scope. I only use it on stand hunts.

My stalking rifle wears a 30mm 2.5-15x50 Swarovski v6.

Stalker69

WKR
You might want to read the thread about zeiss’s warranty issues. I did, and went with a different brand for my last few scopes. That is if it’s not to late.

Zeiss "Lifetime" Warranty - refusal to stand behind its product​

Last edited: