Zip off base layers?

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
34” waist and 23.5” thighs should be a Large. I originally had size large but they would work up over my 18” calves and bunch below my knee. 25” plus thighs and wear 34” waist KUIU pants. Large was tight but ok other than working up my calves. I talked to KUIU and they said xl was long enough it would stay down and waist wouldn’t be too big. Those fit just right and what I’ve used the past 3-4 years.

No way KUIU gets rid of the 97 line. There is no match for that material that I have found yet.

I wear my 97 as my only base layer when needed down to negatives and adjust the pant accordingly. Attack/kutana early and guide/axis late and cold.
Attack vs kutana is another question I had actually, have any experience that might help me out?

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
The fit with the hood is just perfect for me, seems to dry more quickly if I sweat. Don't get me wrong I wear the heck out of the FL Merino, have one of each weight for many years. The sleeve length and overall fit of the Kuiu I think just fits me better, and it's in Valo pattern which works well where we typically bow hunt so I can just wear it as an outer layer when it's crazy hot. FL hoods seem more like an after thought whereas the Kuiu hood is very functional and moves with my head and keeps the sun off my ears. I typically wear the hoodless FL base layers out West where I'm using a heavier Merino on cold late season hunts and the Kuiu 145 if it's a warmer day or down here in Texas. I've never been able to wear the FL Furnace though, I've never been cold enough to make it work.
That is one thing I noticed about the FL that I didn’t like. I like the quarter zip on the base layer. Traditionally i haven’t gone for hooded base layers but I’m gonna try it out this time I think. Maybe the answer is the kuiu 145 top and the FL wick 3/4 bottoms, if my OCD can allow it haha

Attack vs kutana is another question I had actually, have any experience that might help me out?

Yeah what do you want to know? Attack is a great all around, doesn’t function as well at the hot and cold extremes as other pants but it can function across a huge range.
Kutana has slimmer thighs and less stretch with a bigger waist but is super durable and perfect weight for archery in Montana. 40-70, you can push either end some but by October you want more pant.
I tried sizing up in the waist to get the thighs to work and they were just too tight. Hunted one day and they faught my legs all day.

bpurtz

WKR
I had some of the first generation Kuiu zip offs and hated them - they were extremely low riders. I saw a recommendation for Northern Playground and picked some up. For me they were a far better fit...

I like the Kuiu 120 zip offs. Super lightweight. Mine have held up fine, just gotta be kinda gentle with em

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
I had some of the first generation Kuiu zip offs and hated them - they were extremely low riders. I saw a recommendation for Northern Playground and picked some up. For me they were a far better fit...

I think I’ve seen these recommended elsewhere as well. What do you like about them? They don’t have a ton of info on their site

bpurtz

WKR
I think I’ve seen these recommended elsewhere as well. What do you like about them? They don’t have a ton of info on their site
The Kuiu that I had rode uncomfortably low and had a loose waist band. The Northern Playground were comfortable, decent quality merino, and had good zippers. IMO, the Northern were Swaro compared to the Kuiu Vortex. Lol.

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
The Kuiu that I had rode uncomfortably low and had a loose waist band. The Northern Playground were comfortable, decent quality merino, and had good zippers. IMO, the Northern were Swaro compared to the Kuiu Vortex. Lol.
do they ship from Europe?

ChrisAU

WKR
If they discontinue the Peloton 97 bottoms they are severely disconnected. That line is one thing that is really unique to them.

Kostrize

WKR
I prefer the SG Helio bottoms to the Kuiu 97s. The cut is much more articulated and comfortable to me

ChrisAU

WKR
I have the SG's as well and I wear them here whitetail hunting, but for backpack hunting I won't be without 97's. They are super light and super warm. Just got this back from Kuiu when I asked if they were discontinued:

Thanks for reaching out. At this time, we do not have a restock date for the Peloton 97 so it is possibly being discontinued. We may come out with newer items in the future! We apologize for this inconvenience, let us know if you have any questions.

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
I have the SG's as well and I wear them here whitetail hunting, but for backpack hunting I won't be without 97's. They are super light and super warm. Just got this back from Kuiu when I asked if they were discontinued:

Thanks for reaching out. At this time, we do not have a restock date for the Peloton 97 so it is possibly being discontinued. We may come out with newer items in the future! We apologize for this inconvenience, let us know if you have any questions.
Yep that’s the response I got as well.

Alex.D102

FNG
I run all the Firstlite merino baselayers including the zip offs. I absolutely love them and have zero complaints