Zone 77 CO elk hunt

A buddy and I got pref points and drew a tag for zone 77.. So I was super excited, I ve been training hard for 6 months, got all my gear, meals are all prepped. Well a week ago his wife leaves him and now I might be flying solo. It would be my first hunt in CO and Im on the fence going by myself. What do you guys think.. or is there anyone else that has a tag for zone 77, 78 ,771 that wouldn't mind an extra warm body.

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
Go by yourself if you have to. I did my first solo hunt last year at 56 years old. Best ten days of my life. Thought going in that I might not enjoy it as much. I think I might actually prefer hunting alone. If his wife left him he should be able to hunt the entire season😁

OP
D
believe me I want to.. but if the soon to be ex is going to mess with the kids school and shit since she bounce town and is shack up with her new guy. I understand if my buddy wants to be close to home so he can do what he needs to..

Jaquomo

WKR
Go alone and enjoy the hunt. I'm 69 and hunt solo by choice. Bummer about your buddy, but don't let that ruin your experience. And you may learn more by following your own instincts rather than decision making "by committee". You'll likely meet some other hunters along the way. I've made some lifelong friends in the elk woods, who have provided tons of golden info.

BTW, we don't have "zones" in CO. We have "units". Calling it a zone will bring a face-palm reaction, just FYI.

Also had my partner bail but up in 13. First elk hunt and going solo. Stay safe, have a communication device, leave plans of A/B/C with trusted folks, and be positive.. that’s my plan! Good luck!

Hunting solo takes some getting used to but can be an awesome experience as stated above. I’m sorry for your buddy, that’s a crappy situation. Good luck- assume your talking first rifle if you used points? We Archery hunted 77 last year- pretty rugged in the ‘nuche wilderness and probably not the best first solo experience. If you do it solo I’d look south towards Pagosa area.

You own your own successes and failures. The only chance of failure I see in your situation is not going. Go and experience the hunt, learn and bring home memories and lessons. I hunt most years solo traveling to different western states and I really enjoy it. You also never know who you could meet out there. I met a guy who I now call a very good friend while on a trip to CO several years ago. We have hunted a few times together and he has taught me a lot, even though I am ten years older than him. Good luck and sorry to hear about your buddy’s situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
D
I live in the area. If you get in a sticky situation hit me up and I might be able to help.
What season are you hunting?
I would be out there from sept 9th to the 23rd so Archery. and I see wildfires in the area. how do you think they are affecting elk movement / hunting pressure. I appreciate you offer.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
It’s always pretty busy as of lately so take that with what you will. As for the fires don’t worry about those. One is in the south San Juan wilderness but doesn’t seem to be doing much, the others are down in low country 7k-9k. And the monsoons just started so that’ll help

OP
D
It’s always pretty busy as of lately so take that with what you will. As for the fires don’t worry about those. One is in the south San Juan wilderness but doesn’t seem to be doing much, the others are down in low country 7k-9k. And the monsoons just started so that’ll help
thanks again.. any pointers a local wouldn't mind sharing? feel free to shoot me a message instead of blasting the whole forum. My plan is to have lots of options / back up plans. and I got in good shape so I can hike.

jcmupar

FNG
Hey Hondo, how long do you think they will keep the trails closed near the one in the south San Juans?

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Hondo, how long do you think they will keep the trails closed near the one in the south San Juans?
I’m not sure. It’s been raining up there as of late so it’s probably not growing much. I’ll ask around and report back

PSB16

FNG
A buddy and I got pref points and drew a tag for zone 77.. So I was super excited, I ve been training hard for 6 months, got all my gear, meals are all prepped. Well a week ago his wife leaves him and now I might be flying solo. It would be my first hunt in CO and Im on the fence going by myself. What do you guys think.. or is there anyone else that has a tag for zone 77, 78 ,771 that wouldn't mind an extra warm body.
Did you end up going by yourself? How was it? I'm planning to go to 78 next year but end of October. I have a friend that says he is going but I don't have high hopes. I've already made the decision that I'm going regardless. I honestly have the expectation that I will not kill an elk or possibly not even see one. I obviously would love to kill one but the experience is what I'm after. I have to start somewhere.