Best Loadshelf Bag/Sack For Hauling Meat

Looking for something that will keep the blood off your pack, when hauling meat
in between the frame and pack.

Some of the meat bags that pack companies sell seem to bleed through.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Meat bags breath so yes they bleed through some. If you want to keep your frame/bag blood free a cheap method is a garbage bag (use a contractor bag if you want extra durability). Some folks have had me make 500d sacks as well which they planned to seam seal because they wanted boned meat in a structured shape but if you are just going for keeping things clean a garbage bag does the trick. Personally my frames have some staining on them, its just character. :p

Definitely need genuine meat bags so it can breath. You can put them in heavy contractor bags for a clean travel. Then remove to hang in meat bags alone.

Daniel_M

WKR
Meat bags + heavy duty contractor bags for travel. Also doubles to cool meat in a creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callen21

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer sea to summit silnylon dry bags to contractor bags. The 55l ones work great for deboned meat and can be submerged to cool the meat. Contractor bags rip pretty easily and are huge for boned out meat. They work great for bone in quarters though!

oenanthe

WKR
Lately my system has been:
1) meat goes in a lightweight synthetic game bag;
2) for carrying, the game bags go in a trash compactor bag;
3) which goes in the load cell bag on my Stone Glacier.

I think I posted this somewhere else, but here goes again: trash compactor bags are a better size for this than contractor bags. Trash compactor bags are made of really tough plastic. Don't buy the scented ones! The unscented ones can be a little hard to find, but Home Depot has a box of 30 18-gallon bags for about ten bucks. They weigh about 2.5 oz. each. They make a great pack liner, too. Highly recommended.

Stein

FNG
I made a 6x6 sil tarp and use it for rain cover when flashing, then on the ground when butchering to keep stuff clean. Then, I can wrap loads to keep my pack clean.

OP
B
I prefer sea to summit silnylon dry bags to contractor bags. The 55l ones work great for deboned meat and can be submerged to cool the meat. Contractor bags rip pretty easily and are huge for boned out meat. They work great for bone in quarters though!

Those Sea to Summit do a good job keeping blood from leaking?

Callen21

Lil-Rokslider
Those Sea to Summit do a good job keeping blood from leaking?

Yes they do it's a dry bag so it essentially holds everything in. Then you take the meat out at night and hang it. Flip the dry bag inside out and you can clean it for reuse when done! This is a picture of how I ran it between the frame and bag on my metcalf. It held a whole Sitka black tail deer deboned and had tons of room to spare.
39e332cfebff52d1d969cd2e6896f467.jpg

Callen21

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 55l sea to summit bag I retired from service as the seams leaked. I filled it with sand and use it to train with in the off season on my Kifaru packs.
e55d6ae7e0ed1524eb9a5b275ea22979.jpg

Dinger

WKR
I use geology sample bags in conjunction with standard mesh game bags.

Similar to this:

710 x 1000 mm 1000 Gauge Polythene Bags

They are as tough as nails, you wont tear them and they come in a multitude of sizes. We call the big ones 'Mafia bags' as we can fit a whole Fallow doe in them.

Very good for keeping meat and ice seperate in a cooler and get re-used making superb rubbish bags at a campsite or on the road....no leaks ever.

Everyone I hunt with is always trying to pinch a handful fom me.....

Gobbler

FNG
I use geology sample bags in conjunction with standard mesh game bags.

Similar to this:

710 x 1000 mm 1000 Gauge Polythene Bags

They are as tough as nails, you wont tear them and they come in a multitude of sizes. We call the big ones 'Mafia bags' as we can fit a whole Fallow doe in them.

Very good for keeping meat and ice seperate in a cooler and get re-used making superb rubbish bags at a campsite or on the road....no leaks ever.

Everyone I hunt with is always trying to pinch a handful fom me.....

how do you seal them?