Snow Pants

treillw

WKR
What kind of pants do you wear in the snow? Will the Sitka timberline pants hold up with a pair of gators? How about fleece pants? I can't imagine either would be my number one choice, but I'm not having a ton of luck finding something that looks good for my wife.

Vids

WKR
I wear Timberlines with gaiters, that works great when hiking. I also carry Core4Element rain gear and put those pants on if I stop for awhile.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
For when snow is possible and temperatures can be above freezing, wet snow and or rain I bring layers. Merino bottoms, kenai pants, a good soft shell pant with dwr and my heavy rain pants.

When temperatures will be below freezing and the snow is relatively drier I bring merino bottoms and my snow boarding pants which are synthetic insulation reinforced seat and knees and has hip and inner thigh vents.

Military surplus ECWCS Level 7 puffy suit! But only if you're stationary. If you're mobile, good long underwear and a softshell pant is a good set up to stay warm and dry.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Don't overlook the tried and true wool pants, like something from Woolrich or Filson. Pair them with a Gore Tex gaiter to keep the lower leg and boots snow-free and drier. They are quiet, warm as hell and if they get a bit damp from the snow, etc., stay warm overall. I really like them in rcold and snowy conditions, where the snow is drier. The Timberline pants are great too, but require a bit more layering if you are out hunting in the low teens or single digits and doing a fair bit of stop and go travel. Lots of late October and November hunts in MT have found me in good quality wool pants, following tracks in some deep snow.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
My go to pants for late season are the timberlines. But for a lot of snow I just got the cold front pants to go over the top of them. They are fairly packable for what they are and I believe for sitting in snow and colder wet weather they are perfect. Will be doing an article/video in January on them, but right now I have a semi live review in a sticky I’ll keep everyone updated on. So far I think they’ll be awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hunted elk in deep snow almost the entire season this year and chose my Filson whipcord pants- the tight weave makes them very water and wind resistant, but they breathe very well too. I simply adjust my bottom base layer to expected temps. Needless to say there is nothing quieter than wool. The price of the pants are high, but mine are getting close to the 20 year mark- you’d never know it by looking at them. Think of them as an investment :D

Normally I do use softshell pants, but as the snow (and cold) piles up, wool is what I wear

If active, I use lightly insulated shoftshell over a base layer + gaiters. Timberlines are one of my favorites, but the selection is often far better from "outdoor" companies who make ski type gear. Also as mentioned, I've got a set of wool pants that get used quite a bit if the snow is dry, but in womens that's tough to find.

Full zip puffy pants for when I stop. Its a good system. Winter is long here, and I get a lot of practice. :) If it's for your wife, odds are you will want to lean towards something significantly warmer than you might wear. Fleece lined and high waisted isn't a bad idea. Since you are in the snow, camo is even more of a waste than usual, so look on the winter gear rack IMO.

I hunted elk in deep snow almost the entire season this year and chose my Filson whipcord pants- the tight weave makes them very water and wind resistant, but they breathe very well too. I simply adjust my bottom base layer to expected temps. Needless to say there is nothing quieter than wool. The price of the pants are high, but mine are getting close to the 20 year mark- you’d never know it by looking at them. Think of them as an investment :D

Normally I do use softshell pants, but as the snow (and cold) piles up, wool is what I wear

The Filson whipcord are the best pants I have ever worn!!!

Don't overlook the tried and true wool pants, like something from Woolrich or Filson. Pair them with a Gore Tex gaiter to keep the lower leg and boots snow-free and drier. They are quiet, warm as hell and if they get a bit damp from the snow, etc., stay warm overall. I really like them in rcold and snowy conditions, where the snow is drier. The Timberline pants are great too, but require a bit more layering if you are out hunting in the low teens or single digits and doing a fair bit of stop and go travel. Lots of late October and November hunts in MT have found me in good quality wool pants, following tracks in some deep snow.

Wool pants are the cats meow! With light long underwear beneath.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back in the Day wool was my choice but when climbing long distance uphill todays technology offers lighter options that won’t make you sweat so bad. My choice has been the kuiu guide pant for the last few years. Leg zips to dump heat yet added warmth the attack pants don’t offer.

Attachments

• EA29916D-5598-44A5-9B1B-5C239E18CCCA.jpg
    EA29916D-5598-44A5-9B1B-5C239E18CCCA.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 24