Best hunting pants

Finbob

FNG
Looking for something that is tough, flexible, and breathable enough to wear on summer hikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
If you’re going to use it during the summer I’d get yourself a pair of the Ascent pants from Sitka or Stretch Zion pants from Prana.

Both are plenty light and breathable enough for summer. The Pranas are like $80 a pair, but can usually be found for less on sale if you look around.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is my experience with pants for early / summer use:
Sitka Ascent (the newest version is amazing, previous version I did not care for (fit reasons))
Prana Stretch Zion (Good fit, but weird, pocket / belt configuration. Also IMHO are the least durable of the 4 I am listing)
First Lite Corrugate Guide - great pant
Vertx Phantom LT 2.0 Pants - Great for warm weather hiking, but while the cotton blend is great for warm weather, it makes me leave them home if I think its going to be wet and cold.

For hunting, I'd run the Ascent pants because I like the ability to add the knee pads. If you don't want or need that option, I'd try on the Ascent and the Corrugate and go with the one that fits you best, or the one you can find the best sale on. :)

zman

Lil-Rokslider
Like the Ascents too. Holding up well. Good pockets. You can sometimes find them in the classifieds here.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
"best" is pretty subjective but In my opinion the best hunting pants are Prada stretch Zions, Kuiu Atacks, Sitka Timberlines and First lite corrugate guides. The best all around is probably the KUIU attack (just my opinion) they aren't too heavy for warmer weather weather and have hip vents but Ive used them out in sub zero temps with base layers and they worked well. I like the Timberlines when I'm heading into gnarlier terrain and I like the lions as an all around early season/summer pant. Id put the corrugate guides somewhere between the ZIon and the Attack but I can't give much more feedback as I JUST got them and haven't used them for more than going to work yet since its like 60 below with wind chill here.

dapesche

WKR
Love my pranas. Beat the living hell out of them all last summer and then Hunted with them. They are fantastic. I hunt an area that is very similar to Northern Idaho. My hunting/scouting had me walking through alder and dried out huckleberry berry bushes. Toss in some dead blow down with stickers too.

The pants have no holes after all of that abuse. The dwr did take a beating so they lost their water shedding ability.

Very quiet compared to another pair of a 4 way stretch pants that I have.

I am currently looking to buy another pair if I can catch them on sale.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

HeadnWest

WKR
Another vote for the Prana Zion. Love the fit, wish the cargo pocket was on the right side and not the left though. Very durable, dries quick, and much cheaper then any of the camo brand offerings.

sveltri

WKR
I'd be hard pressed to move away from the Zion's at this point, although ,as mentioned earlier, the cargo pocket is kinda weird but I love the belt.

How do the KUIU attacks compare to the previous model sitka ascents? are they relatively quiet?

I have Sitka Ascent pants and they are awesome but not meant for mildly cold to colder weather. They are early season pants for sure. Kuiu Attack pants are awesome and definitely more versatile for a range of weather and can be work better with layers in my opinion. I also have the Kuiu Chinook Pants and I like them the most because they are very quiet pants.

I would say that if you mainly hunt with a rifle go with the Attack pants for all around winner. If you hunt with a bow and looking for a warmer season pant, the ascents are awesome. If you want something a little heavier and you hunt with a bow, go with the Chinooks.

For summer I would throw in a vote for kuiu tiburon.

Attacks or corrugates for colder temps.

Timberline are awesome but hot and heavier.

ChrisS

WKR
Kuiu attacks are pretty quiet. I don't think I've noticed much, if any noise, from them. I love them, I just wish they weren't such a skinny jeans fit for me. They might be too warm for summer hikes depending on where you are and what temps you're expecting. I think they're perfect from 20 (with baselayers) to 60 or so (without baselayers). After that I think there are probably better options.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I like the material of the Prana Stretch pants, but way too hot to wear in the summer. I wish there were 2 cargo pockets and positioned correctly, more belt loops, no pull tab, and the legs didn't have a skinny jean fit.

Muttman

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used the wrangler performance outdoor series of pants??
They look like they have all the same properties as prana Zion stretch but @ a cost of $24??

HeadnWest

WKR
Has anyone used the wrangler performance outdoor series of pants??
They look like they have all the same properties as prana Zion stretch but @ a cost of $24??

Yes, I have a pair. They are cheaper for a reason. The fit is bad, the material feels cheap and they do not seem as durable as the Prana Zions. Did not like them at all.

I also have the Costco UB Tech pants. I love those! I like the fit more then I do the Zions. The cargo pocket is on the right side and that is a plsu too. But to me they are little noisier then the Zions and would not be as durable. But still a go to pant for hiking. I wore my Prana over them in the elk woods this year and I know it was the right choice. But for an everyday pant, while at home or work, I'm grabbing the Costco tech pants first. Plus they are only $17.99. WAY better then the Wranglers IMOP

MattB

WKR
My favorite hunting pant is the Kuiu Attack. They are warmish for what they are, so not ideal for summer.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
For summer I really like the Kuhl Renegades or the newer Ascent pants from Sitka.

For summer I really like the Kuhl Renegades or the newer Ascent pants from Sitka.

ryan do your ascents smell awful after wearing them? i know youve said the polygene doesnt work for you and ive been pretty disappointed with how poorly the ascents hold odor for me. even after a wash. i wish theyd put hipzips in them bc that would certainly help. i know john said unzipping the mesh pockets are supposed to help but its nowhere close to how well the kuiu tiburons vent for me with the hipzips.