Gaiters

dylaneh

FNG
I am having a hard time understanding the use and purpose of gaiters. This may just be really dumb on my end but I was looking for a more breathable option to replace my rubber turkey hunting boots. I just don’t understand how gaiters can do what my rubber lacrosse boots can. Do they make hiking boots waterproof? Would they work in a situation like im in in turkey hunting walking through wet fields and creeks that get about shin high?

Gaiters cannot replace rubber boots.

Gaiters provide waterproof protection for the lower leg potion of your pants which helps prevent moisture from migrating down into your socks. They also help increase the likelihood of keeping your feet dry in the event of a quick, not too deep creek crossing. Lastly, their tough exterior has helped protect against rips/tears while going through deadfall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition to helping keep moisture off your pants and out of your boots, snow from going up your pant legs - here in the jungles of western Washington it keeps brush and other crap from going up your pant legs and tripping you, protects your lower legs from sticker briars and on and on. I mostly don’t go anywhere without them anymore unless it’s hot as heck at lest here in my local area.

EdP

WKR
Rubber boots don't provide the ankle and foot support needed in mountain terrain. Gaiters add the additional protection your lower legs need from water and brush and allow wearing boots with adequate support. In the low country rubber boots work well and are more waterproof.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
Gaiters cannot do what rubbers do, as it's been said above. It's going to keep the below your knee part of your pants dry and free from debris entering your pants/boots. It will keep majority of water from entering your boots if your cross a creek. You get the ankle support from actual boots vs rubbers which are usually lacking in the ankle)foot support category. If you're standing in water, water will get in with gaiters. As to the waterproofness of your hunting/hiking boot. That is entirely dependant upon your boot.

Divide93

FNG
All the above advice on gaiters is right on target! I'm a gaiter freak from the high country, but I still appreciate their usefulness here in coulee country!

Honyock

WKR
Try a pair and you most likely won't hunt without them. All good points above. I used gaiters for the first time several years ago and now I don't hunt without them. Keeps your pant legs dry and the moisture doesn't wick down your socks and make your feet wet. Where I turkey hunt, stickers are an issue and gaiters keep them off my legs and boot laces.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Gaiters cannot replace rubber boots.

Gaiters provide waterproof protection for the lower leg potion of your pants which helps prevent moisture from migrating down into your socks. They also help increase the likelihood of keeping your feet dry in the event of a quick, not too deep creek crossing. Lastly, their tough exterior has helped protect against rips/tears while going through deadfall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would add, found they will help keep ticks from crawling up my pant leg, also rocks and gravel or seeds burrs ect out of socks/boot

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
Also wasps, and they prevent laces catching and tripping you or your moto from melting your pants. oh, and blaze orange gaiters are mint for visibility.

CMF

WKR
They're not going to help if the creek is above your short hiking boot and you have more than a quick step. They are nicer than rubber boots on the cold mornings with wet dew and tall grass, followed by a warm-up. As soon as the dew burns off I can pull them off and a short hiking boot is a lot cooler than a rubber boot.
I still don't wear them often and probably never would have if I didn't start hunting out west.

Jethro

WKR
This time of year I spray mine with permethrin for extra layer of tick control. Can tuck pant legs in socks and cover with the gaiters. I wear mine Sept - May. Too hot in summer.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
In the south I wear my Turtleskins for all the reasons above AND snakebite protection. Rubber boots have their place but not when mountains and elevations are a concern.