Elk boots

Will_m

WKR
What's everybody's opinion on a good set of elk boots? How much height is really needed in a boot for hunting and the occasional meat pack out?

I have been looking at the cabelas outfitter 9" series hunting boot but am wondering if the 9" is enough ankle support?

What are your thoughts?

mntnguide

WKR
8-10" is my preference for a solid boot for packing loads. I don't like much under 8" when it comes to protecting my ankles. I currently am running the Crispi non insulated Nevada 8"... and am confident they will do great with heavy loads this fall

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've run the salomon quest 4d gtx hiking boots for the past few seasons. They are very comfortable, and reasonably priced. I ordered a pair of the Schnee's Beartooth for this season. The only problem with the salomon is that they aren't waterproof. Best thing to do is try on a bunch of boots and pick the one that fits the best.

Depends. If I'm hunting high country like above timberline I use a little bit higher and stiffer mountaineering boot because of rocks n such. If I'm hunting dark timber I hunt in some regular hiking boots.

I always used to wear an 8" or higher hunting boot. Then I bought the Schnee Absaroka which is only 6". Still comes up over the ankle, good stiffness and I've hiked about 80 miles with them. Mostly with a pack weighing 40+ pounds. Couldn't be happier, and don't miss the 8" tall boots.

I used Meindl ultralight boots last year on my first elk hunt. They got wet, which sucked. After i got them dry they did great except the lack of ankle support. They are a taller boot, but very soft. This mean i had 0 hot spots, but sore ankles after side hilling all day. I am trying out Crispi Idaho boots this year, hopefully they are a good fit for the time of year and terrain.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a Meindl Perfekt Hiker user as well,,,,on my 4th pair (and they are getting worn),,,,,lots of miles in those boots,,,,,may try something different next go around,,,or not - wide feet limit options with some boot makers,,,,,,,

Last edited:
The boot height depends on:
1. ruggedness of terrain (trails or not?)
2. how much weight you're expecting to carry
3. how strong your ankles are

Guys with ultralight loads and strong ankles can wear tennis shoes with no ankle support. Guys who will carry heavier loads and have weaker ankles (maybe previous injuries or didn't prepare) will need 10" stiff boots.

My favorite is the Cabela's Meindl at 7" high for all around use. I use the vented lightweight boot for bowhunting elk in September.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Meindl Perfekt Hikers. I keep them treated well with Obenauf's and hit them with a good
coat of silicone prior to any trips. They keep my feet dry in all but the worst soggy bog environments.

ericF

WKR
Meindl Pefekt Hunter here for me too. I've gone through two pairs in the last 10 years with the first pair still going strong. I only got the second pair because they were Cabelas Anniversary edition and they eventually went on a great clearance.

Bar

Banned
Meindl Pefekt Hunter here for me too. I've gone through two pairs in the last 10 years with the first pair still going strong. I only got the second pair because they were Cabelas Anniversary edition and they eventually went on a great clearance.

Yep, i'm on my first pair after 10 years too. One resole job. Construction is still perfect and always have been 100% waterproof. Best boots i've every owned. I wear them every day and i'm in the mountains 300 days a year.

Tejasbow

FNG
I wear a pair of Cabelas Miendl Denali boots. They are a 9" boot. Feel like I have 2x4's strapped to 3 sides of my ankle. I am tall and clumbsy I have terrible ankles.
I hunt high steep and rugged terrain. Never worry about my ankles.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will x2 on elkstabbers reply. Young and no ankle issues you can get by with lower and lighter boots. If like me bad ankles old and pack out manycritters in bad country I want extra support above all. I tend to run taller due to this but will say the crispi nevadas offer great support in a lower boot.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For actual hunting I prefer a mid range height boot like a 7-8". That gives me enough height for some support but doesn't weigh a ton. I also prefer the leather/cordura uppers for the same reason......lighter and flexible for mobility. When you wear a size 13 boot, some of those hunting boots are north of 6lbs/pair which is like weighted blocks on your feet.......good for support, but bad for mobility. I'm a very active hunter, sometimes running up and down slopes after elk, and sometimes even stomping and breaking the deadfall as I'm running down the slope to simulate an aggressive bull coming in. I certainly don't want to be in low cut trail runners or tennis shoes or super flexible soft soles doing that.

Hunthigh1

WKR
Kenetrek hardscrabble hiker and asolo tps 520 are the best boots I have found for narrow feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try a bunch and see what works for you. I've had good luck with Lowa Tibets and Lowa Renegades. Tibets are great for extended backcountry trips when you have to carry weight over rough terrain.