Boots for whitetails and elk?

bsheisey

FNG
The pair of hunting boots that I've run for the past 6 or 7 years (Columbia Newton Ridge) finally gave out this past season and I am in the market for a new pair. Most of my hunting is for whitetails in the farmlands and big woods of central PA, but I am also planning on doing a Colorado elk hunt with my dad and brother in 2025. Has anyone found a boot that they've used for both whitetails (mostly tree stand and saddle hunting) and western elk? My current boots have a height of around 5" inches, which I assume is too low for carrying a heavy pack through the Colorado mountains. At the same time, a height of 8" to 10" seems way higher than I'd want to wear regularly in the whitetail woods. I would also prefer the boots to be waterproof and not too heavy if possible. I'd love to hear any recommendations you guys might have on what to look for in a boot for this dual purpose, and any specific models you've had success with! Thanks!

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
I love my zamberlan 980s. You’ll appreciate the higher tops for ankle support in the mountains. These are uninsulated which I prefer when I’m hiking most of the day. I don’t know what temps you see whitetail hunting, but all of the stand hunting I’ve always used insulated rubber boots. Doesn’t hold scent like leather and you can get them a little big and layer up on the wool socks for late season hunting.

There’s about a thousand different quality boots tho you could try- kennetrek zamberlan scarpa Hanwag lowa schees sportiva etc. all are of high quality just go try some on and see what you like

8-10” boots are not a must have for mountain hunting. If your boots will be mostly whitetail in not very steep terrain, and one pair of boots is all you will own, then err towards whitetail. I like a stiffer sole and more sturdy ankle support than lightweight hikers. A boot like that offers plenty of advantages for whitetail too. I have some Lowa Z-6 GTX boots with a waterproof membrane I wear hunting whitetail. I hunt TN and MO. While the mountains are not tall like out west, they are still mountains and can be steep. Lots of large rocks buried under leaves to step on and roll an ankle. The stiffer soles and more sturdy ankle support over light weight hikers is great for carrying in saddle gear, narrow climbing stick steps, and standing on a platform for hours. Especially when bracing yourself using the platform edges. My pack is usually 30-35lbs so a more sturdy boot is appreciated. They are good for ankle deep water. I’m always crossing creeks and test the waterproofness often. For the occasional western mountain hunt, I wouldn’t hesitate to wear these or something comparable.

LaHunter

WKR
Just my opinion: The wrong boots can end your hunt very quickly. Torn up feet from wrong boots can ruin your hunt. I definitely would NOT attempt to do a whitetail/elk combo boot. Very different demands of the boot, if you are hunting / putting on miles in rugged mountains typical of the Rockies. Lower / flatter type country will be less demanding on your feet & boots. I consider my boots one of the most important pieces of all my gear when hunting in the mountains.

Great all-around boot whether your chasing whitetail at sea level or bugling bulls @11,000 ft.
With that being said everybody's feet are unique so what works for me or anybody else may not work for you.

If you go with a good Western mountain style boot it will be more than enough for hunting whitetails. The key for you will be trying to find the right balance in insulation. I think most fellas would agree low or uninsulated is best out West when you're putting in long days of hiking, whereas a guy that's stand hunting may want something with a little more insualtion for long, cold, sits. However, this can be solved for with socks and those insulated covers that can go over boots.

Personally, I love my Crispi West Rivers for upland, whitetail, and hunting out West. They have 400 thinsulate which is over kill, but they've been a great do-everything boot. I have a medium width foot, and the toe box on this model is a little oversized which is comfortable even with heavy full cushion socks.

My advice is to go to Scheels, or whatever outdoor store you have in the area that sells several different styles of boots and find the ones the fit the best. Then adjust the insulation to your liking.

OP
B

bsheisey

FNG
Thanks for the feedback everyone! My feet tend to sweat, and I rarely have issues with cold feet sitting on the stand during the archery season in PA, so I think I will definitely be looking at an uninsulated boot. It seems like the sweet spot for boot height could be in the 6" to 8" range to handle the elk hunting without being to cumbersome for climbing into a treestand. I don't have an unlimited budget, so the Crispis, Lowas, Kenetreks, etc. might be tough to pull off unless I can find a great sale. If any one has any budget or middle of the road cost boot recommendations I'd love to hear them!

KHNC

WKR
I am a big fan of LOWA Camino GTX's . I have two pairs of them. Awesome boots for elk and any other type of hunting.

I hunt in NY and PA. I use Lowa Tibets for 75% of what I do in the northeast, as well as when I hunt in Colorado. Unless I'm hunting an area with a ton of water, or it's extremely cold then I use my insulated rubber / neoprene boots.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! My feet tend to sweat, and I rarely have issues with cold feet sitting on the stand during the archery season in PA, so I think I will definitely be looking at an uninsulated boot. It seems like the sweet spot for boot height could be in the 6" to 8" range to handle the elk hunting without being to cumbersome for climbing into a treestand. I don't have an unlimited budget, so the Crispis, Lowas, Kenetreks, etc. might be tough to pull off unless I can find a great sale. If any one has any budget or middle of the road cost boot recommendations I'd love to hear them!
The budget piece is tough on quality boots. If you watch camofire they have good sales on Crispis and other brands throughout the year, but I'd expect to spend somewhere between $2-400 on them. Less than that and your usually talking assembly in Southeast Asia somewhere and suspect quality.

Schees, Kennetrek, and Crispi, to name a few, are made in Italy.

The high end Danner's are made 100% in the USA, but you have to be careful, because their entry level and mid-tier stuff is made in Asia.

You can buy good boots or you can buy cheap boots. Check the boot trader thread here if you're open to used.

Expensive boots are a long term investment. Inexpensive boots are a short term solution.

OP
B

bsheisey

FNG
You can buy good boots or you can buy cheap boots. Check the boot trader thread here if you're open to used.

Expensive boots are a long term investment. Inexpensive boots are a short term solution.
I'm open to a pair of lightly used boots. Do you have a link to the boot trader thread? A search didn't turn it up for me.

TaperPin

WKR
A boot that’s good for western hunting will also be good for a number of other things. These have been my go-to boots for decades and in my mind they check all the boxes for a western boot - for my feet. The arch is pretty stiff, the sole is narrow, it laces up snug or loose, it’s stiff enough to provide moderate ankle support without being uncomfortable stiff, and it breaths well. If there’s snow on the ground I have a pair of the all leather model heavily sealed with wax, but they are essentially the same boot.

The main point I wanted to add to the conversation has to do with the price. I‘ve worn out a dozen pairs between hunting, fishing and wearing them as a full time carpenter, and never had to pay over $175. One year a place was clearancing them in my size for $75 so I bought two pair. Boots go on sale all the time and last years model may be half price. Asolo tries slightly different colors, with goreTex or without, and some cosmetically different leather patches, but the boot fits and feels the same.

I just did a quick search ”Asolo sale” and both pairs were available for under $190, and there was a lightly used leather model for $110 that was barely broke in (Not my size or I would have bought it). Once you know what size fits well, finding a deal on any boot is just a matter of checking once a week for sales.

Lightly used boots can also be a good way to try a boot and sell for what you paid if it doesn’t fit well.

75D64DD5-67AB-439A-BF36-3A9AC0452D76.jpegF4E78733-B249-49C8-A946-AC3CF637FD1D.jpeg

Last edited:

Parkerbat

FNG
Decide what height of boot you want, then leather or synthetic. Try on as many pairs as possible. Then wait until Black Friday if you’re on a budget

TaperPin

WKR
I just did a quick eBay search and found a pair of my favorite leather boots for $65 that someone made one backpacking trip with, and that matches the wear seen in the pictures. On this boot, once they are broke in, if used in rocky areas, rock scrapes will show on the sides, and these must have been used on flat trails. The original shoe laces are a little dusty, but no fuzzy wear. Eyelets show some missing finish, but it’s mostly where pants rub and that’s not a sign of more wear than they claimed. The soles show a few weeks worth of wear, which isn’t much. All the stitching is crisp and intact. It doesn’t appear any leather treatment has been applied, which is good because using too much of an oil over softens leather and eyelets will pull out.

Buying a new pair of boots wasn’t on my radar this spring, but I’m not going to pass on a deal this good. *chuckle*

9485FE65-B96C-43FC-B07B-28AE814CB80E.jpeg

OP
B

bsheisey

FNG
I just did a quick eBay search and found a pair of my favorite leather boots for $65 that someone made one backpacking trip with, and that matches the wear seen in the pictures. On this boot, once they are broke in, if used in rocky areas, rock scrapes will show on the sides, and these must have been used on flat trails. The original shoe laces are a little dusty, but no fuzzy wear. Eyelets show some missing finish, but it’s mostly where pants rub and that’s not a sign of more wear than they claimed. The soles show a few weeks worth of wear, which isn’t much. All the stitching is crisp and intact. It doesn’t appear any leather treatment has been applied, which is good because using too much of an oil over softens leather and eyelets will pull out.

Buying a new pair of boots wasn’t on my radar this spring, but I’m not going to pass on a deal this good. *chuckle*

View attachment 658807
I'm glad my question enabled you to find another pair of boots haha. eBay for used boots hadn't occurred to me, but I'll definitely keep that in mind as a possible place to get a deal. Thanks for all of the advice!

TaperPin

WKR
I'm glad my question enabled you to find another pair of boots haha. eBay for used boots hadn't occurred to me, but I'll definitely keep that in mind as a possible place to get a deal. Thanks for all of the advice!
The biggest risk when buying eBay boots is you can’t be 100% sure what width they are. Some brands offer a variety of sizes from extra narrow, narrow, medium, wide and extra wide. The oddball sizes are the most common left overs if it’s a business selling last year’s model, so really read all the fine print. If you can’t tell, ask the seller and what they say can help if they show up and are obviously a weird size - the seller has to return them if they aren’t as described.

Unfortunately, Asolo doesn’t label widths very well, but they also don’t seem to sell many that aren’t a medium. Merrills often have multiple widths, as does Danner and others.

Good luck, and thanks for the new boots! *chuckle*

Honyock

WKR
I think the Crispi Nevada are a good all around boot. More than what you need whitetail hunting but they are my go to boot for whitetails and elk. As someone above said, you need to make sure that they fit your feet. If not, you can ruin a hunt.

LedSled

FNG
I’ve used the same pair of Hanwag Alverstone II GTX for three whitetail seasons in north MS and a 5 day mule deer hunt in north western Wyoming and I absolutely love these things. My feet never hurt or get pressure spots, and they require almost no break in time. They are waterproof to a point. The only time my feet have gotten wet is crossing a river with the water passed the lower ankle. I would definitely recommend them for a dual purpose boot. However, for extra wet and muddy days I always use a pair of rubber boots instead.

TaperPin

WKR
The boots showed up today and this time it was a home run. I wouldn’t even say they were fully broken in.