Boots for whitetails and elk?

RS3579

WKR
I’ve used 400G Meindl comfort fit in PA for whitetail and CO elk in the past. I also have a pair of Lowa Camino uninsulated that I used this year. The season will dictate the type of boot. FYI I use artic shield booties over my boots when it’s cold and I’m not moving.

Dont let the internet convince you that you HAVE to have extremely stiff boots to hunt elk. Some people prefer them and others do not. What ive found works for me is Salomon quest 4d forces for a good all around boot, Schnees beartooth for a bit more heavy duty boot that will last many years, salomon x ultra for a very light and fast option. I have a pair of Crispi Valdres that are very nice but they are too stiff for my liking (almost ruined my trip because I bought super stiff mountaineering boots that the internet convinced me I had to have to hunt elk)

Edit: I wear all of the above for whitetails and elk out west. I actually only wear the super stiff crispis for whitetail hunting out of a saddle because they help distribute my weight for long days standing on the platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone use the Renegade GTX boots? I'm looking for a new pair and doesn't need to be insulated. I'm in Florida. I have Danner 400g boots that I have been wearing for a long time. I'm just ready to find something lighter and not insulated for the Florida heat and not breaking the bank. Looking at 150 or less. 100 would be ideal. I see there are sales out there. May just need to go to try on.

Lowg08

WKR
I hunt mountain whitetails in western North Carolina and will be elk hunting next fall. I went with the lathrop and sons mountain hunter elite. I pack out my deer and they are excellent. Probably heavier than what you like but I have no doubt they will be excellent at any type of hunting in North America.

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt mountain whitetails in western North Carolina and will be elk hunting next fall. I went with the lathrop and sons mountain hunter elite. I pack out my deer and they are excellent. Probably heavier than what you like but I have no doubt they will be excellent at any type of hunting in North America.
The renegades are nice. Went to a local REI but they wouldn't match the online price so had to pass on them unfortunately. I am going to try out the AKU. They are just barely over 1lb for each boot. It's all I really need for the terrain I mainly hunt. They are still waterproof, but we will see if they really are. Only 90 bucks with shipping. Originally they are a 200 pair of boots. We will see.

I have been using a pair of Timberlines for about 4 years...WT, Turkey, Hogs in NC, SC, and WV..elk and MD, Antelope out west...zero complaints...they are on sale right now.

SloppyJ

WKR
Hard to best some lacrosse boots of your choice for whitetails. I don't see there being a good shoe that covers both. I run the arrowhead sports during bow season and run them until it gets too cold and I bust out the 800gr alpha burly pros.

Lowg08

WKR
The renegades are nice. Went to a local REI but they wouldn't match the online price so had to pass on them unfortunately. I am going to try out the AKU. They are just barely over 1lb for each boot. It's all I really need for the terrain I mainly hunt. They are still waterproof, but we will see if they really are. Only 90 bucks with shipping. Originally they are a 200 pair of boots. We will see.
I had a pair of lowa renegades. Just wasn’t for me. Fit me funny but they fit other people just fine. Like others say. Just find what fits you best. For me it’s L&S. Best boots I’ve ever owned. Mine have never leaked or even got wet inside. Even after rain and walking through creeks not a leak one.

LightFoot

WKR
Another vote for Zamberlans.

I have two pair, one insulated and one not. Been through WT or Elk hunts in TX, WY, OR, IA, and going with me to AK.

>>>——JAKE——>

JK47

FNG
I bought my first pair of Kenetreks in 2019. I now have 6 pairs. They’re the only boots I wear now. Pricey, but worth every penny. Great customer service and warranty program.

In 2022 I was packed into the high country and hunted hard for a week. Between 8-10 miles a day. Lots of elevation changes as well. My feet never even got a hot spot. Never had to break out the mole skin.

I keep an eye on MidwayUSA and Kentrek’s website. You can catch ‘em for $100 off.

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I received the non insulated Aku Selvetica boots. I give them 4.5 out of 5 stars. One boot was tighter, but a simple blow dryer with heat and a couple pairs of thicker socks did the trick. Used them today for about 3.5 hours. I was comfortable, ran into some water and feet stayed dry. The laces are long, but maybe that's a preference thing. If they have a insulated boot like 400 or 600, I would definitely recommend. They were on sale for $90, so it was easier to buy than original price tag. Follow there sizing guide and add a thumb width. Size will be perfect in my opinion.

gringo76

FNG
Check out some military surplus websites. Just make sure whatever boots you get have gortex to keep ya dry. Most boots are cheaply made in China now a days so no sense in paying a lot unless you’re getting a quality built boot. I personally wear scarpas.

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I just got some schnees beartooth 0g and like them so far. Mostly hunt whitetail in a saddle too, but in Texas so heat is a concern here. The schnees are definitely nice but higher than I have ever worn in a lace up but it’s not bad once you get them tied. I had some crispi valdres but they were too small so they had to go, and I have some crispi lapponias for a lighter boot.

Anyone use the Renegade GTX boots? I'm looking for a new pair and doesn't need to be insulated. I'm in Florida. I have Danner 400g boots that I have been wearing for a long time. I'm just ready to find something lighter and not insulated for the Florida heat and not breaking the bank. Looking at 150 or less. 100 would be ideal. I see there are sales out there. May just need to go to try on.
I’ve got a pair of the gtx 8 inch leather ones. They’re very nice boots, however they are a little tight in the toe box area for my liking. I only will wear them with a thinner sock. I tried a half size up and that didn’t alleviate the issue. But seeing as you’re in Florida that may not be an issue for you.