Montana NR elk tags

So preference points are automatic if you don't draw a specific unit and are accumulated over time, Bonus point increases odds but do not accumulate?

After applying for tags in several places my head is spinning!:eek:

Nope, gotta purchase one for $50 which puts you ahead in the line that year. If you don't draw then you get to keep your $50 preferenc point for next year or if you do Montana thanks you for stepping ahead in the line. So frustrating...

Anyways, that's at least how I'm understanding right now as well talk out this preference point BS together

dtrkyman

WKR
Confusing...I always put in and decline the general tag and get the 80% refund and accumulate preference points. I was told not to buy the bonus point if I am not trying for the general tag. This was always Elk only. Took 3 points to draw my last tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Confusing...I always put in and decline the general tag and get the 80% refund and accumulate preference points. I was told not to buy the bonus point if I am not trying for the general tag. This was always Elk only. Took 3 points to draw my last tag

I think you have them confused preference points are for general and bonus points are for special tags. Damn maybe now I'm confused

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
I do have them backwards...I have one bonus point from last year according to my account.

Yeah just confusing the two

Bonus = Permit Tags (Permit area + all general units)
Preference = General Combo Tags (Deer, Elk, Big Game Combo)

Riplip

WKR
Bonus = Permit Tags (Permit area + all general units)
Preference = General Combo Tags (Deer, Elk, Big Game Combo)[/QUOTE]

Also remember that Bonus Points only apply for your first choice of LE unit. Not applied for 2nd or 3rd choices.

I applied in MT this year for the first time for the elk/deer combo. If I don’t draw I will hopefully look to buy just the elk combo.

Agross

WKR
I applied in MT this year for the first time for the elk/deer combo. If I don’t draw I will hopefully look to buy just the elk combo.

Leftover tags? I'm asking because a buddy and I just applied for the first time as well, for the elk deer combo.

They didn’t sell out in the draw last year for elk only. I am not sure if they ever did after the draw. I had a friend that bought one last summer.

Agross

WKR
When can you check to see if you were drawn or not? And how long till you get yer refund if you don't draw?

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
This whole thread was like a horrible rendition of "whose on first". Montana needs to do something different!

rvanbw00

FNG
He's my scenario:
Hunted MT with a NR General Elk Combo last year. Had a great trip and want to go back ASAP. Unfortunately we are building a house this year and a trip out west isnt in the cards. If I want to accumulate a point even though I have no intent on hunting MT this year, how do I go about that? And what will it cost?

Riplip

WKR
Yes you can purchase both, Preference Point - $50 for NR, Bonus Point $25 NR. Can be purchased at time of application or between July 1 - Sept 30th.

Riplip

WKR
Yes between July 1 - Sept 30th. (as long as you did not apply for a nonresident big game license, or did not purchase a preference point at the time of application for a nonresident big game combination license).

Kinda off topic but hopefully someone can answer...

If you draw the big game combo(deer/elk), can you hunt anywhere in the state, or just specific units?

Kinda off topic but hopefully someone can answer...

If you draw the big game combo(deer/elk), can you hunt anywhere in the state, or just specific units?

You can hunt pretty much anywhere with a general tag, but you will need to follow each units restrictions. Restrictions vary from unit to unit, so just make sure you know the restrictions for each unit you intend to hunt. You can also hunt some of the permit areas on a general tag, but you'll likely be limited to cow and/or spike only.