Gritty Bowmen

LostArra

WKR
Most podcasts with limited focus eventually lose some steam including Newberg and Gritty although I will at least start each new episode and I'm a little more tolerant of a marginal Gritty (shop talk regarding the trials and tribulations of recording hunts).

Meateater laps the field in consistently interesting content.

AdamW

WKR
Probably my favorite podcast across all genres currently and I don't even own a bow right now.

HookUp

WKR
Brian is a talented host and draws you into archery and bow hunting. His pod cast with Eva Shockey was one of his best non-gear casts.

I had never shot a bow in my life until this year, my wife and I both bought bows and regularly shoot now. We have some hunts in the works as well. I 100% contribute that to the Gritty bowman.

Stop censoring Aaron. Just let him do his thing. His lack of give a _makes him real.

Other then that like the pod cast.

Agree with the above. Uncensor Aaron and we need a little more Gritty Scottsman, that dude is hilarious. Other than that I've got no complaints.

Call me weird but I like it all. It helps me get through the daily grind in the real world at my desk job. They could talk about best tactics for stalking marmots and I would listen! . Keep the content coming fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshTX

WKR
Good topic.

I'm a fan and I've picked up some good nuggets from the podcasts. I agree though, that they need let Aron be Aron and stay true to those "Gritty" roots. I dig it when it's just regular dudes talking about their wins/fails, what worked, what didn't.

All of this said, I appreciate what they are trying to do and I will continue to listen or watch on youtube. Even if the MTN OPS logo is burned onto my retina ;-)

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I don't think the OP meant anything besides just throwing some honest feedback out there, which is great.
I've felt the same way about a few of them, but that's the beauty of that media format.

It's by far my favorite podcast by a long shot, and there's a few I've listened to multiple times they were so good. Brian if you're reading Rokslide, keep it up dude. Glad this thing took off for you and you're going all in. I wish you the best.

I have just started listening to podcasts in the last few weeks and The Gritty Bowmen was the first one I started with. I have listened to a bunch of them and still need to go back to some of the older episodes and listen to them. I have pretty much liked everything I have heard so far, they make my workout fly by. I need to check out the meateater podcast too.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
My favorite podcast by far. I like them all. The one's with Aron feel like they've given him his elkreaper voice back where he can pretty much say what he wants. The other ones are interesting as well and have exposed me to people that I might not have been otherwise. It's a good well rounded podcast that doesn't feel forced like a lot of the other ones.

Bughalli

WKR
I don't mind the style. I assume there's seasonal aspects to the content. Summer is slow and I'll take what I can get. I don't care for when it gets overly promotional. Not necessarily the content itself, but in the span of a couple weeks every person who has an archery podcast has the same guests on (Phelps Game calls, Heather Choice). Nothing against them. I still like the content and their products, but hearing more than once feels less authentic.

ChrisS

WKR
I'm an easterner, but I enjoy the western podcasts because they're different from 95% of the other crap out there which are straight up infomercials for magic potions (buy this and spray it on your clothes and da big bucks come a' runnin') or $10k+ guided hunts that I'm not ever going on. I think Brian is a very good interviewer/host and I'm ok with the talk show format. I'd like to see other guests who aren't hunting celebrities or people hawking something. I enjoy listening to Meateater and Randy Newberg (Randy is as down-to-earth as it gets). Rinella gets some wildlife biologists and other scientists on there to talk ecology and habitat. I think that's great. The recent Newberg podcast with Mark Kenyon was pretty good too. That said, at some point they were going to have to start paying the bills. I do think it's funny that a lot of minor and semi-major podcaster/instagrammers are suddenly using crispi boots and a new hoyt defiant this season. I don't mind commercials, but be honest about your sponsors. I'd take free gear, too.

The podcast with Grady Rawls had some decent info, but when he said he dropped $26k on camera equipment, I lost interest. I just want to put something a bit better than a cellphone video on youtube, not be a professional videographer. The guys at Rockhouse make some awesome videos, but they're also using a $50k+ camera.

cg2737

WKR
I saw a thread here last year on what podcasts are you listening to. GrittyBowmen was mentioned and I started listening. I was hooked on the podcast. I have learned a ton about gear, tactics, health,nutrition, and more. I have lost 30 lbs since I first started listening. I am planning a 2017 OTC CO elk hunt and truly appreciate all advise and stories.
My favorite podcasts:
Gritty Bowmen
Randy Newberg
JRE
Jocko Podast
Nock on
Meateater
Keep Hammering
Keep it up Brian.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
If we could just stop the bleeps, uncensored is the way to go. That's the reason podcasts were created, no fcc to tell you what you can and cannot say. With that said if he wants to keep censorship just blank the sounds for that word rather then add a bleep,those get annoying after awhile. After all what do the bleeps accomplish? Kids still know what the words are even with the bleeps, they are just saying it in their head everytime they hear the sound.

I would like to see the podcast unedited also, very few podcast edit their show, that's the fun of a podcast when shit happens or things get said. The 3 biggest podcast in the world do no edit a thing. I wanna listen to an organic conversation rather then something pieced together. Meateater,Newberg no edit.

Censorship or not it's still a great podcast and appreciate everything he is doing. This was meant for constructive criticism, I like the show very much and the guest are great. Keep up the good work. I will continue to listen regardless of change,just think those couple things will give the user a better experience and have a better connection with the audience.

Felix40

WKR
I still listen but it seems like they have run out of actual bowhunting related content. To be fair I'm surprised someone who knows so little about archery has been able to host such a good bowhunting podcast. Overall I'd like to see more about hunting and less about the other stuff.

vanish

WKR
Agree with the above. Uncensor Aaron and we need a little more Gritty Scottsman, that dude is hilarious. Other than that I've got no complaints.

RE: Gritty Scottsman - Uh, I could swear on one of the shows they said he died?

Nevermind - He DID have a heart attack but he's doing OK!

Last edited:
If we could just stop the bleeps, uncensored is the way to go. That's the reason podcasts were created, no fcc to tell you what you can and cannot say. With that said if he wants to keep censorship just blank the sounds for that word rather then add a bleep,those get annoying after awhile. After all what do the bleeps accomplish? Kids still know what the words are even with the bleeps, they are just saying it in their head everytime they hear the sound.

I would like to see the podcast unedited also, very few podcast edit their show, that's the fun of a podcast when shit happens or things get said. The 3 biggest podcast in the world do no edit a thing. I wanna listen to an organic conversation rather then something pieced together. Meateater,Newberg no edit.

Censorship or not it's still a great podcast and appreciate everything he is doing. This was meant for constructive criticism, I like the show very much and the guest are great. Keep up the good work. I will continue to listen regardless of change,just think those couple things will give the user a better experience and have a better connection with the audience.

The reason the podcast is censored is because it is Brian's and that is what he wants. Personally...I think it shows a level of professionalism to edit or bleep out content he doesn't want podcasted by Gritty Bowmen. I am not interested in some of the topics but I really like the podcast and will continue to listen. I normally listen to all of my hunting podcasts while doing cardio.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
The reason the podcast is censored is because it is Brian's and that is what he wants. Personally...I think it shows a level of professionalism to edit or bleep out content he doesn't want podcasted by Gritty Bowmen. I am not interested in some of the topics but I really like the podcast and will continue to listen. I normally listen to all of my hunting podcasts while doing cardio.
I like that it's censured. It's refreshing to see someone uphold personal standards of decency.

WKR
I agree that the quality is somewhat lower than it was earlier in the show's "life" but still entertaining. I could listen to the Scottsman read the phone book for an hour and be fully entertained so I would like him to be more prominent.

For actual information, The Hunt Backcountry podcast put out by Exo is really good. It has a Freakonomics type sound/style that I really like.