Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

If you get a Davis, make sure to get their tarp/rain cover that they offer. It is much nicer than trying to use your own, and it will fit your tent like a glove with tie-downs and cut-outs in the right places. A big bonus is that the material is clear which allows a lot of light in during the day and doesn't turn the tent into a cave. You can also have it made over-size for an awning:

2. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CAhunter View Post
    Is the Davis floor canvas or another material?
    The floors are a 15oz vinyl coated nylon chosen because it is an absolutely waterproof material (no moisture seepage if the ground underneath is wet) and very abrasion/puncture resistant (no need to worry about smaller rocks/twigs causing owies).

Post Thanks / Like
    So I guess if I decided on a Davis and their is the slightest chance I would pack it into the back country with equine I should get the external frame tent right?
    Centaur Custom Longbow, Bob Lee Ultimate Recurve, Roy Hall Longbow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wrong
    You dont want to pack a frame into the backcountry with horses
    Just cut some poles and make an A frame

Give Roy Davis a call.
    Tell him what you want to do. He will make some suggestions and have lots of info

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a custom size tent from Roy this summer.
    Here it is set up in my yard with cut poles and my stove I made
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I opted to make my own internal frame.
    We took it up to Wyoming scouting a couple weeks ago.

Davis Tent1 - YouTube

So easy to set up - Only takes about 10 mins

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cnelk View Post
    Wrong
    You dont want to pack a frame into the backcountry with horses
    Just cut some poles and make an A frame

Give Roy Davis a call.
    Tell him what you want to do. He will make some suggestions and have lots of info
    So would you suggest the internal or external frame? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aggieland View Post
    So would you suggest the internal or external frame? Thanks
    Thats personal preference based on your use

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're camping off a road...go internal frame. No messing with cutting poles, etc.

If you're packing in on horses, go external.

Another thing to consider is weight if you're packing your tent on horses...I would take cnelk's advice, give the guys at Davis a call, they're pure gold in the knowledge department of canvas tents.

I dropped a tent off a few weeks ago to get some minor repairs done and talked with Roy and some of the other guys there. All very friendly, professional and would never give you anything but the best advice.

My Davis tent has performed flawlessly for 12 years...the repairs I had done were a worn out door zipper, a few grommets needed to be replaced and one spark hole about the size of a dime. Had the tent back in about 2 weeks.

Quality product and great customer service...

Give them a call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Floor wise,

on elk hunts I prefer no floor or a floor in the back 1/2. I do have that heavy vinyl floor that either Davis or Reliable sells and its great for when we setup in the back yard and had my daughters whole soccer team for a sleepover. Its nice.

As an aside; one of those projectors shining on the back wall makes an awesome movie screen.
    “It takes no more time to see the good side of life than to see the bad.” ― Jimmy Buffett

"You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.” ― Edwin Louis Cole

Post Thanks / Like
    So I guess if I decided on a Davis and their is the slightest chance I would pack it into the back country with equine I should get the external frame tent right?
    Yes, absolutely. The Traditional Poles (what I am assuming you are referring to as an external frame) break down to around 5'-5'6" and are about 60% the weight of an internal frame.

Both systems are comparable in strength, but there are a few key differences that may or may not matter to you. Call the shop and either Roy, Rick, Chris, or myself can talk you through your use and give you the pros and cons to each.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sndmn11 View Post
    Yes, absolutely. The Traditional Poles (what I am assuming you are referring to as an external frame) break down to around 5'-5'6" and are about 60% the weight of an internal frame.

Both systems are comparable in strength, but there are a few key differences that may or may not matter to you. Call the shop and either Roy, Rick, Chris, or myself can talk you through your use and give you the pros and cons to each.
    Ordered a 16X20 external frame tent from Davis Tent yesterday.. Excited to try this baby out!! Thanks for all the advice guys and as others have stated calling the Davis guys helped a ton.. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have any experience with Cabela's wall tents? I realize they are made by Montana canvas, but has anyone noticed any difference with build between a cabelas branded one and a MT canvas one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind that when it comes to frames, there is no rule that says you can only have one. Start with the internal frame, and then if you find that you are using your tent in a wide variety of situations, you can add the external frame. You can then use whichever frame fits the use for that trip, or cut poles instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought mine from cabelas don't notice any difference
    Elk Hunter from Hell
    Rokslide Staff

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered a 16X20 external frame tent from Davis Tent yesterday.. Excited to try this baby out!! Thanks for all the advice guys and as others have stated calling the Davis guys helped a ton.. Thanks again!
    Good deal, I am 90% sure I answered your call and sent you over to Roy because we had a lot of shipping to get done. You should be set for quite a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sndmn11 View Post
    Good deal, I am 90% sure I answered your call and sent you over to Roy because we had a lot of shipping to get done. You should be set for quite a while.
    Good deal, Yes i'm excited should be a fun experience now its just going to be upgrades lol. maybe a floor or awning lots of options..
    Last edited by aggieland; 08-19-2017 at 10:21 AM.