Looking for recommendation/experience meat hauling frame

rnfarley

FNG
I have a good pig hunting spot (FINALLY) that produced two hogs last weekend.

I had access to a 4 wheeler to pull them out last weekend but that was a one time thing. To get back there, I'll need to hike in 2-3 miles from up the river from this area, and am looking for a good pack that could hold 100 lbs of meat comfortably, and haul out a hog quartered up. I'll have camp setup back at my truck, and just need a hauling frame style pack. It seems most folks here are interested in multi purpose packs, but I really just need to have lunch, knives, lights and a couple game bags with me in the pack and then basically strap a pig to my back so I'm not dragging it through hillsides for 2-3 miles.

I'm honestly leaning towards the cabelas Alaskan for price, or the badlands ox pack because it looks so versatile. Anyone have experience with something similar and have recs?

Thanks,
Aaron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Carrying a 100lbs and the word 'comfortable' do not belong together, no matter what pack you have

mplane72

FNG
I have been happy with the Alaskan and about 80 lbs. Well happy might not be the best word.

KJH

WKR
IMO- Nothing wrong with the Alaska for toting pig parts! You can easily carry a 100lbs with it.

OP
rnfarley

rnfarley

FNG
Great - thanks guys! And yea, totally understand 'comfortable' is loosely used :D I should say 'and it be very stable and not dig my hip bone a new skylight.

Felix40

WKR
I would be looking for a used duplex. You have to carry the thing while you are hunting so it might as well be comfortable. You could outfit it with a lid to carry your stuff and a grab it with a couple compression straps for the meat. Or you could do a cargo panel and add a few belt pouches for your stuff. My kifaru has packed quite a few pigs.

TWGator

FNG
I have a badlands ox frame I'll sell you for $170. Still has the tags on it. I carried 50lbs of horse feed up and down my driveway a couple times but opted for the multi use pack.

Schism

WKR
When I researched pack frames I was continuously pointed toward Barney's Sports Chalet in Alaska as having the best frame packs on the market. I don't own one,yet, but thought I would share what my research indicated.

Ray

WKR
kelty cache hauler...I like this a little bit better than the cabela's alaska frame.

However, if I did not want to save money, then a stone glacier frame or a Seek Outside evo frame would be on the list right after a Barney's moose pack.

cnelk

WKR
I have 2 Kelty Cache Haulers now , thats after I wore out my Cabelas Alaskan frame pack

They are not fancy, but sure do pack meat well

I actually put the bag from my old Cabelas alaskan on one of my Kelty's

This pic is from last Saturday, the front shoulder of an elk is in the bag, and hind is outside

Attachments

• DSCN8346.jpg
    DSCN8346.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 58

wyosteve

WKR
In my younger days, I carried out a whole antelope buck and mule deer buck on an Alaskan frame. Gutted of course and less than a mile on fairly level ground. Point is--the frame held up well.

bpctcb

WKR
I had a Cabelas Alaskan pack, and while it would carry lots of weight, it absolutely killed my back with only 75# on it. I adjusted it every possible way and nothing made it better. I believe the absolutely rigid frame was my problem. I then used a surplus Molle gen IV frame & large rucksack which did not kill my back with 96# in it. This Molle gear is what I like for a budget meat packing setup. My Kifaru Hunter frame & EMR2 is the most comfortable setup I've used and I had 120# in it last October, but it's pricey.

BP

I packed out a whole mule deer last week in my kuiu. Bone -in rears, boned out the rest, cape, head, velvet rack, and all my (too much) day hunting gear. I was definitely over 100lb. It wasn't comfortable to begin with. After my headlamp died every step was miserable.

OP
rnfarley

rnfarley

FNG
I have 2 Kelty Cache Haulers now , thats after I wore out my Cabelas Alaskan frame pack

They are not fancy, but sure do pack meat well

I actually put the bag from my old Cabelas alaskan on one of my Kelty's

This pic is from last Saturday, the front shoulder of an elk is in the bag, and hind is outside

This is great - thanks for sharing!

When I researched pack frames I was continuously pointed toward Barney's Sports Chalet in Alaska as having the best frame packs on the market. I don't own one,yet, but thought I would share what my research indicated.

As far as strictly meat hauling goes, this is the only frame to own, period.

Julius K

FNG
I just bought a cabelas frame for 59.99 on sale off the website. I am pleasantly surprised with it. I am using to hike meat back to the truck for a moose hunt this fall.

Savage99

WKR
There's been a LOT of times I have wished I,d picked up a cache hauler when they were still easy to find...

SW had them for like $89 a few weeks ago in Denver.