Rifle question for bowhunter lol

I'm pretty new to rifles when it comes to shooting past 400 yards from treestand whitetail hunting. I'm in the process of building a rifle, Remington based action Model 700 in a 300 RUM with a proof research carbon barrel. My question is scope mounts to reach out beyond 700-800 yards (totally for amusement) I have no need of intentions to kill anything that far. But I would like the ability to do so if it came to last day last hour or eating the tag. I see scope mounts some say 20moa etc and I'm wondering what I should buy. I'm running a sightron SIIISS 6-24x50FFP. Like I said totally new to trying to hit anything past 400 yards. So please dumb it down for me a bit. Also wondering if one piece mounts or two piece mounts and recommendations on bases etc... Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would highly suggest Seekins rings with a 20 moa one piece picatinny base. Have you a settled on the 300 rum. I'd hate to see you spend $900 on a barrel to have it last 900 rounds. I've been there done that. A 30 Nosler would be a better choice if you "have" to have a 30 caliber. A .280 AI, 7 Rem mag, 300 Win mag or 7-300 Win mag would be better options and are plenty capable. Even a 28 Nosler dumbed down would last a little longer than a rum. The rum is a hammer no doubt about it but once you start shooting long range your going to want to keep shooting and shooting and shooting some more!!!

Btw. With a rum you would have a rifle more than capable of taking game at 1400 yards. Depending on the accuracy of course. With a proof barrel your more than half way there as long as you have a good smith.

OP
huntstrong2850
Btw. With a rum you would have a rifle more than capable of taking game at 1400 yards. Depending on the accuracy of course. With a proof barrel your more than half way there as long as you have a good smith.

Very good gunsmith. 70 years old, been into long range before it was cool. He shoots and gun smiths, travels to Oregon a lot to do the long range schools he's the instructor. I just got the rifle back this morning from him but he wasn't in the shop to ask the questions too so I'm just inquiring for a lot of opinions basically

A .280 AI is about perfect. Mild recoil is about the most under-rated important factor in long range shooting. You need the ability to spot your shots. I don't care what size of break you use, you won't be able to spot your shots with a rum.