Choosing a Unit

parshal

WKR
I've got 10 preference points and am planning an alpine deer hunt for 2014. I've been working through the 2011 and 2012 numbers in order to find a good spot to start looking. I thought I'd ask here to see if you guys think I'm headed in the correct direction.

I took the numbers from 2011 and 2012 (will do 2013 when they post) and put it in a spreadsheet. I used preference points required to draw and percentage of hunter success. I took number of hunters and days hunted to come up with the average number of days hunted per hunter. I've narrowed the results down by choosing the higher success rate and the fewest average days per hunter. This assumes that the fewer days with the highest success percentage equates to a higher number of deer. Obviously, this doesn't translate into trophies but I assume choosing an area that meets those criteria along with a higher number of preference points required leads to a quality area.

This leads me to two only two units. I"m going to call the DOW offices in those locations and start asking questions. What would you guys do as a next step and is my criteria smart?

Agreed.

Your process seems logical, just remember most of that data (especially days hunted, etc) is all based on survey extrapolation and is highly subjective and misleading. I would narrow it down to 3 units and then pick them apart. This will help you meet your experience expectations. At the end of the day that is truly what you are drawing is the expereince as big deer can be found in most of the state.

Shoot me a PM with what you are after experience wise and I can assist you in some places to look.