Colorado's new big game season structure: Submit your ideas!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Co system only works because it has units that take no / couple points to draw. I think its far far from the best system out there

Name a better system out there that gives opportunity to hunt like CO does? I see you're from Utah, I don't you can even handle the situation there. Thats the problem as i see it, we have a great thing going, you can kill big or small animals year after year on OTC limited entry tags. Whats the issue?

Look at your state, NV, AZ, NM, screw that siting out years upon years.

Less tags for NR!!! It's only fare since other states only give 10% at best. I know this will never happen bc the money is too damn good.

bowinhand

WKR
Every big game (and maybe turkey too) species should go to draw only just like how deer is now, almost all deer units hold potential for trophy bucks and most require no more then like 6? preference points to draw.

Last edited:
Bowinhand,

Why? Just throwing this out there, so bear with me. I have went out of my way to find OTC units along with 0 point (just put in and you will draw units) units so I can hunt every year. In doing that, I've found some great areas and have killed B&C and P&Y caliber animals in these units.

Why would I want anything to change? I've done my homework, driven my truck into the ground, and now we want to go 100% draw? Again, what does that do? I've found my trophy areas without the need for a draw. As stated above, everyone is looking at this from an elk point of few when it's much more complicated than that.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the current system. If you say go all draw guess what will happen? Those draw units will start creeping and guess what? Areas you used to hunt every year OTC, and then limited draw start taking longer and longer to draw when in fact you used to be able to hunt them every year. The next thing you know, you have an AZ or UT type system where you're sitting out or hunting spikes and cows.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Name a better system out there that gives opportunity to hunt like CO does? I see you're from Utah, I don't you can even handle the situation there. Thats the problem as i see it, we have a great thing going, you can kill big or small animals year after year on OTC limited entry tags. Whats the issue?

My point is your system only works because of the OTC tags available. In a straight points system its the worst system to only take top point holders because new participants can Never have an opportunity. Utah does have a fair system for point holders in the hybrid where everyone has a chance to draw no matter the number of points. I have plenty of points in multiple places since as you point out I can't hunt at home. Utah has multiple problems but our point system isn't one of them

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
And there are plenty of units here that you can draw with very few points, if not zero points, that have some great animals in them. Just gotta do a little work. There is plenty of opportunity for a decent hunt without waiting an eternity to draw a tag.

smitho

FNG
I like the idea of point banking just maybe not exactly CPWs idea. I view PPs like money, we all are on the same allowance of 1pt per year. Its up to us to decide if we want to save or spend our allowance. I think we should treat our PPs more like money and let guys spend or save as they wish. For this to work though every bull tag needs cost something. I'm not at all in favor of doing away with OTC licenses, but maybe you should not get your point for the year if you hunt an OTC area. Landowner vouchers would need to be included as well, even if they didn't cost you your points you shouldn't get your allowance for the year if you bought a bull tag at all.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
This is a really hot topic and CPW needs to do something about it.

I attended the Loveland "meeting" and a couple others that frequent the forums were there as well (you know who you are). Right or wrong CPW has already deciding that point banking will happen..

Curious to see if anybody else can weigh in on this? When are they going to announce the change? This could be some critical information for everybody...high, mid, and low PPs because it will be a big game changer. If they allow point banking after all, I think it should cost 2 PPs, if they are serious about wanting to address this point creep. Designating OTC units as draw units will help somewhat, but will likely cut $ from CO when they limit the people that can hunt a unit vs. unlimited tags to be sold. Im sure CO wants to fix the point creep thing, but I don't think they want to take a decrease in revenue to do it.

I can see how they could designate trophy elk units similar to the goat, sheep, moose tags for 2, 10, 201, 61 etc.. After all, they are not much different, a rarity and a very lucky draw with very limited opportunity. Not everybody gets to be

Leave it like it is. There are good bulls in every unit. There is more to hunting than just trophies. If people want to wait 20+ years for a Unit 61, that is their choice. Being in CO less than a year has shown me there are great bulls in "lesser" units. I see them everyday.

OP
L
Colorado 5 year plan 2015-2019

...Nov 13-14, 2014 meeting
http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/CommissionMeeting2014-11.aspx

....draft regulations - no point banking ---"In those hunt codes requiring 10 or more resident preference points to draw, up to 20 percent of available licenses for deer, elk,
pronghorn and bear shall be issued through a random drawing."
http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/2014/Nov/ITEM17-ChW-2-BigGame.pdf

...new Big Game license prices
http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/2014/Nov/ITEM25-7-ChW-2-W-15CPI-CONSENT.pdf

Apples and oranges. NV, AZ, and NM combined don't have as many elk as CO does, hence the need for their systems where people have to sit out.

EDIT: And ironically, they all have more trophy zones than CO does.

I have never been a trophy type hunter and have never been interested in points or lottery systems so I cannot comment on that but if the herds are healthy and not declining than I see no reason to adjust cow elk hunting dates .

Finch

WKR
If I'm reading it correctly, they did NOT push elk season back a week, right?