Colorado Big Game Season Structure Survey

sndmn11

WKR

Here is my free form answers at the end.

-List A/B should only be determined by whether it was drawn as a first choice. Even if it is Bull/Buck, it should be List B if it was drawn as a second choice or below, even if it is a Cow/Doe it should only be List A if it is drawn as a first choice.
-The preference point hunt codes should go away. The only way to gain a preference point should be by applying for a hunt code drawn in the prior year at or below the number of points you are applying with. This way, everyone either has a fair chance of drawing/gaining a point or no points. This would be intended to minimize point creed and jump.
-The number of choices per species should be increased. The only licenses that can be obtained by the applicant are the ones that they applied for in the primary draw. This would stand for the secondary draw, reissue, or leftover hunt codes. This is intended to reward people who scout and know what hunt codes they want to hunt the most, so if one comes up as a reissue they have a better chance at obtaining it.
-OTC should be limited to DAU and not "statewide" so that better management can occur.
-OTC should be a resident-only option. I also think that the units that are deemed to be OTC candidates should be separated into two (or more) pools. There should be a three-year rotation of those pools where one pool is OTC for three years, and the other pool is drawn. Then they flip.
-OTC should be no specific season so that a hunter can hunt archery through the third season with the same license.

Last edited:

svivian

WKR
Thanks just completed the survey!

Marble

WKR
My only real complaint was about season dates. I preferred the dates prior to them shifting the seasons.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider

-OTC should be limited to DAU and not "statewide" so that better management can occur.
Agree with this 110%. But on the flip side you might get extreme overcrowding in certain DAUs that will need to be managed, but better than the current system.
-OTC should be a resident-only option. I also think that the units that are deemed to be OTC candidates should be separated into two (or more) pools. There should be a three-year rotation of those pools where one pool is OTC for three years, and the other pool is drawn. Then they flip.
You know its all about the $$$. We should be going to a system like Idaho for mule deer where the OTC is first come first serve, capped, and specific unit based. Current system is ridiculous that anyone can come grab a tag at the gas station and hunt BULL ELK. Is there any other state I can do that, let alone hunt trophy bucks/bulls OTC as a NR (especially for the price CO charges!)

I think youth should get a dedicated season instead of the youth preference for the leftover/return draw and the extended dates that seem like an afterthought.

I’d also like to see a little less overlap in seasons, like maybe putting muzzleloader after archery instead of concurrent. It’s a trade off though, constant hunting pressure from September to November can’t be good.

“Ohteesee” as it is now is almost inevitably going away so quotas for OTC elk like Idaho or AZ archery deer would be preferable to all draw.

Wolves are a wild card and I’m sure they will have an eventual effect but I imagine that in the 5 year timeframe the effects will still be fairly localized to certain areas.

Last edited:

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with this 110%. But on the flip side you might get extreme overcrowding in certain DAUs that will need to be managed, but better than the current system.

You know its all about the $$$. We should be going to a system like Idaho for mule deer where the OTC is first come first serve, capped, and specific unit based. Current system is ridiculous that anyone can come grab a tag at the gas station and hunt BULL ELK. Is there any other state I can do that, let alone hunt trophy bucks/bulls OTC as a NR (especially for the price CO charges!)
You can otc in Oregon. And the tag is $170 cheaper for NR.
CO NR elk tag is on higher priced side for the west. They're not undercharging NR at expense of residents. ID, AZ, UT, WA are significantly cheaper. NM and WY are about the same as CO. NV is way high priced but there is a fraction of the tags issued.

Last edited:

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
You can otc in Oregon. And the tag is $170 cheaper for NR.
CO NR elk tag is on higher priced side for the west. They're not undercharging NR at expense of residents. ID, AZ, UT, WA are significantly cheaper. NM and WY are about the same as CO. NV is way high priced but there is a fraction of the tags issued.
A quick search on Idaho fish and game shows it costs $185 license + 651.75 tag for a total of 836.75 for an elk hunt. Colorado is $760.99 plus you get a season fishing license and the convenience of buying the tag the day of the hunt and going almost anywhere in the state.

Here is Utah. Does not include purchasing the hunting license for $72

1686277071785.png

-The preference point hunt codes should go away. The only way to gain a preference point should be by applying for a hunt code drawn in the prior year at or below the number of points you are applying with. This way, everyone either has a fair chance of drawing/gaining a point or no points. This would be intended to minimize point creed and jump.
I can’t figure out how this makes sense. Maybe you can elaborate.

If a guy is just starting out then he could never actually build any points. To get a point he would have to apply for a tag that he will more than likely draw, then being forced to always hunt second tier units in less deserable seasons rather than waiting 3 years for a mid tier type hunt before traveling 1000 miles.

Also this puts additional draw pressure on second tier units for guys that just like to hunt every year. As guys draw out even more draw pressure will be put on low tier units and guys that were happy just to have a second season tag and hunt every year won’t be able to draw and won’t even have the option of waiting several years to hunt a better unit.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR

If a guy is just starting out then he could never actually build any points. To get a point he would have to apply for a tag that he will more than likely draw, then being forced to always hunt second tier units in less deserable seasons rather than waiting 3 years for a mid tier type hunt before traveling 1000 miles.

Also this puts additional draw pressure on second tier units for guys that just like to hunt every year. As guys draw out even more draw pressure will be put on low tier units and guys that were happy just to have a second season tag and hunt every year won’t be able to draw and won’t even have the option of waiting several years to hunt a better unit.

"My kids will never hunt a top tier unit" seems to be a consistent complaint.

In my imaginary world there would be point creep initially on low point hunt codes. Eventually points to draw all hunt codes would become much closer together as higher points holders would be required to use their points. Point holder numbers would become much closer together.

Ideally you'd end up with all hunt codes being drawn with ten points or less, and nearly all point holders with less than 5 points. Getting to a "top tier" unit would more be a battle against luck of not being previously drawn for whatever alternative hunt codes you applied for in getting there. Maybe it would be possible to get all hunt codes within a few points of each other once people realize they aren't hunting if their priority when applying is trying to bank points. You spoke of "tiers"; how cool would it be if there was a few point difference between the top and bottom "tiers"? Rather than people thinking they will never get to a "top tier" unit, they are hoping they don't draw because that "top tier" unit is more accessible.

If someone likes to hunt every year, I think it is a great solution because they stand a chance of drawing per the requirement. For residents the alternative solution is to hunt OTC with other residents and one long season. For NR the solution is to do a bang up job in selecting what hunt code to apply for, hunt off of the leftover list, hunt their own state of residency, etc.

For those who think it's unfair to travel a thousand miles to have a less than desirable hunt, I think the solution is to not apply for that hunt code if it sucks that bad or turn the license back in and get their point(s) restored. Should I expect a "top tier" hunt if I travel to the Midwest or East to hunt whitetail DIY on public land the first time I apply?

There seems to be a lot of talking out of both sides of folks' mouths when the conversation of quality of hunts versus quantity of hunts comes up. You've brought up the people who want to hunt every year, while at the same time saying people wouldn't be able to gain points.
At some point in my imaginary five minutes solution, current high point holders would be either dead or back to the bottom. That seems to be a solution for point creep. Requiring application for hunt codes that seem possible to draw appears to solve for the hunt every year crowd. The bonus for not drawing would be you are suddenly in the next tier of hunt codes (In theory).

I'm also a-ok if my solution is stupid. I am fairly certain nobody on the other end will read it.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I agree with much said above, I commented for otc residents only, leftover to be for residents first 24 hours. But as far as season dates go, I love hunting muley rut with a rifle… that said I think we need to stop doing it. Lots and lots of big deer killed the last couple years, would be nice to revert back to the old season dates for the next 4 years and hopefully get a little age structure back.

Ucsdryder

WKR

No more building points, after 3 years preference points turn to bonus points. Each bonus point equates to an extra name in the hat. After that everything goes to a straight lottery. Everyone has a chance to draw. If you don’t like it, use your PP in the next 3 years.

No more Otc for nonresidents, everything is a draw like deer

75/25 across the board

Otc for residents only, becomes a general tag

Turnback tags to the residents for first hour

Done and done…

KsRancher

WKR
^ DANG! You guys want your cake served on a golden platter and fed to you. As a NR I can get on board with the 75/25. But jee whiz. Now you want no OTC for nonresidents and first chance at leftover and return tags. Obviously you residents didn't want a tag very bad if there are leftovers. I am not mad at Co residents over it. But I think it's a LITTLE bit selfish.

Now 🔥 away.

Ucsdryder

WKR
^ DANG! You guys want your cake served on a golden platter and fed to you. As a NR I can get on board with the 75/25. But jee whiz. Now you want no OTC for nonresidents and first chance at leftover and return tags. Obviously you residents didn't want a tag very bad if there are leftovers. I am not mad at Co residents over it. But I think it's a LITTLE bit selfish.

Now 🔥 away.
Turnback, not leftover. Big difference.

Name another western state that is different than what the Colorado residents are asking for?

You can still hunt Colorado, but you can’t use it as your 13th fallback plan and hunt it with 10,000 of your closest friends.

KsRancher

WKR
Turnback, not leftover. Big difference.

Name another western state that is different than what the Colorado residents are asking for?

You can still hunt Colorado, but you can’t use it as your 13th fallback plan and hunt it with 10,000 of your closest friends.
The guy above you said leftover

Hnthrdr

WKR

Now 🔥 away.
Well you better be on board with 75/25 because that already passed haha starts 2024 fyi

Ucsdryder

WKR
The guy above you said leftover
No need for leftover to be first, they’re leftover. Lol

People use leftover and turnback interchangeably.

Like I said, I don’t think Colorado residents are asking for something every other state isn’t already doing. How are your draw odds on Wyoming? 4.5 points for an otc tag (general), how about Arizona or New Mexico. Nevada? Utah? Colorado has the most elk and will continue to give the most NR opportunities but it sure seems like the NONRESIDENTS want their cake on a golden platter.