kifaru meat baggie capacity??

I have a Kifaru meat baggie and the I think the claim is that it will hold 100 lbs of meat but it looks a little small to actually hold 100 lbs. My question is this: has anyone actually put 100 lbs of meat (say an entire boned out mule deer) in one of these? On the last buck I boned out I got 94lbs of meat off of him and he wasn't an especially large-bodied deer for this area. On the bull I killed last year I had a game bag that ended up being right at 100 lbs of boned meat that I took out on the first trip. I cant see any way it would have fit in the meat baggie, mostly because of the size of the rounds on elk. Anybody??

This isn't exactly what you are looking for but will give you something to go off of. The sea to summit 20L ultra sil dry sack is almost identical is size to the kifaru meat baggie. The meat baggie ends up a few inches taller. I used a 35L sea to summit ultrasil dry sack last year to put tags bomb bags in when I shot my elk. I deboned everything. My friend took the two fronts and out bows. I had the two hinds, backstraps, neck meat, tenderloins all in the 35 L bag. There was no room to roll the sack shut just enough to clip the two buckles over the top. I have no idea what the meat weighed. Imagine a bag being around 70% of that capacity which is right about what the meat baggie will hold.

oct71

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience with my meat Baggie, it holds a boned out mature mule deer really well and I figure that weighs #70. For me, that's all I'd want to pack in a trip anyway.

OP
Jared Lampton
In my experience with my meat Baggie, it holds a boned out mature mule deer really well and I figure that weighs #70. For me, that's all I'd want to pack in a trip anyway.

do you think you could have squeezed another 20-25 lbs into it?? Any issues with it leaking in your pack?

littlebuf

Banned
all i ever put in mine is the two back straps and tenderloins. (elk) the rest goes in the bomb bags. i don't think a whole boned out deer would fit in one. i also don't know why you wouldn't just carry a couple of them since they weigh nothing or a couple bomb bags since there identical in size but just a different material

OP
Jared Lampton
all i ever put in mine is the two back straps and tenderloins. (elk) the rest goes in the bomb bags. i don't think a whole boned out deer would fit in one. i also don't know why you wouldn't just carry a couple of them since they weigh nothing or a couple bomb bags since there identical in size but just a different material

I only have one because I won a kill kit in raffle. I'm just trying to figure out if it will adequately replace the trash compactor bag I normally use to pack meat (in game bag) with. I normally carry 4 game bags and a compactor bag or contractor bag while elk hunting; 2 game bags and a compactor or contractor bag when hunting deer only. I'll give the baggie a test this fall (hopefully) and have a compactor bag or nano-sil dry bag as back-up. In reality it sounds like it will hold about as much as I would normally be willing to pack as per Oct71's post (depending on distance and terrain of course).

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
I put a boned out mule deer in tag bags then in meat Baggie worked great held up to the 73# of meat

I used the meat bag this season on 3 pack out trips. It works great. I boned out all three bulls and but 1/2 the meat into the bag and pack it out in two trips. I don't think it's quite 100 lbs but I think that's because of the size of the meat, I'm sure the bag could hold the weight, it's just a size thing. I'd say somewhere between 70-85lbs.

Mike7

WKR
I just this week took multiple trips with Kifaru meat bags full of boned out elk meat along with my buddy. Each time the bag was near full of meat, to so full of meat that I could barely cinch down the draw string. We weighed each bag back at the rig. Although I could swear that the bags weighed 65-80 lbs, they only ranged from 48 to 56 lbs according to my scale. We had 3 different Kifaru meat bags bought at different times, and they worked great, and all carried about the same amount of meat. There is no way we could have gotten any more meat than 55-60 lbs stuffed into one of our Kifaru meat bags.

We took the meat out of hanging TAG bags before hauling in the Kifaru meat bags. The Kifaru bags worked great for packing!

To me, that means that if you plan to take "all" of the available meat off of a big buck without any of the meat being ruined, you would need more than 1 Kifaru meat baggie it would seem?

Manosteel

WKR
I put a boned out WT deer in tag bags then in a Kifaru meat Baggie worked great held up whatever lbs of deboned meat 4 quarters, back straps, tenders, rib and neck meat come up to.

Mike7

WKR
I will have to check to make sure my scale is accurate with wts over 50 lbs now. If those full Kifaru meat bags were heavier than 55 lbs, that will make me feel better about myself...because full bags along with the other odds and ends in the pack sure seemed heavy enough.

which bag do you guys prefer? The meat bag or the gen 2 meat bag? What is the big difference. In the pictures on their site, the gen 2 looks considerably larger.

Mike7

WKR
Checked my scale and it is right on. My buddy and I have the regular meat bags (not gen 2) and the both only fit 55 lbs of boned out meat. I am not sure if there are other versions?...but am just reporting actual measurements.

ckleeves

WKR
Checked my scale and it is right on. My buddy and I have the regular meat bags (not gen 2) and the both only fit 55 lbs of boned out meat. I am not sure if there are other versions?...but am just reporting actual measurements.

I think your pretty close. I figure about 60 lbs stuffed pretty tight but still being able to close it easily. The 100 lb listed weight is how all the 160lb pack out post get started lol!