SG tokeen 2600 who’s running one?

dster3

FNG
The tokeen is a good little day pack - I've yet to do any hikes with it. It has been a range bag for me for PRS matches this year so far. Have carried about 30 lbs in it plus attaching my 20 lb rifle to it on the shoulder strap.

- Rain gear in the bottom
- puff jacket
- magpul pouch - magazines, tools, kestrel, etc.
- bino pouch
- Gray ops arca plate with flat bag
- AG game changer smedium heavy fill
- ammo wallet
- hydroflask
- roll of masking tape (for writing dope)
- snacks, microfiber (exterior pockets)
- medical kit on the exterior
- 22 lb rifle attached via OBI Link to shoulder strap.

I thought I might feel like I missed out on the exterior pocket - still might end up making one, however I find that the horseshoe shipper makes shoving a jacket into the bottom of the pack pretty easy, or I just use the exterior compression strap.

The pack itself is loud - similar material to a ground tarp from Seek Outside or even just a regular tarp. Been in some rain here and there with it - id trust it to keep my gear dry. Hip belt does leave something to be desired as someone said. I called SG and they said I would be able to attach a bottle holster to the exterior, I dont have an SG holster, but based on initial impressions, it might need some work to get it stable.

The size is great for my needs - I'll be using it more as time goes for day hikes, maybe an overnighter here or there. I was going between this pack and the avail I dont have an avail, but some of my friends do and they reallyl like their packs. I think the larger storage size is worth it for the extra cost.

I dont think you'd be able to attach a lid to it very easily, however an exterior dry bag, something flat, would strap right into the exterior compression straps. No exterior pockets for a water bottle or tripod - I think the side compression straps will do fine to keep my tripod secured.

Overall happy with the pack - not much experience with it, but I did buy it more of a range day bag versus hunting bag, so take my input with a grain of salt.

1711993128416.png

1711993159708.png
1711993200926.png

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I think you’d have to thread the lid onto the load lifter straps, maybe could buckle on front compression strap locations? I’m not sure it would work very well.

The bag has a top pocket, although it is very small. There’s a front exterior pocket as well like the avail, and one interior pocket (avail has 2). I think connecting an access bag to the front looks possible.

Kostrize

WKR
Some comparison pics of the Avail and Tokeen. The extra height of the Tokeen does help a lot with carrying weight. I found the usable interior volume to be significantly greater with the Tokeen with its more symmetrical shape. The rounded hump shape of the Avail is more difficult to pack and less usable, especially if filling the bottom interior pocket.

The Ultra material isn’t louder than nylon to my perception. Used it below zero F and it wasn’t perceptibly louder than at room temp.

Access bag would work. You can route the bottom straps of the Access bag through the bottom straps of the Tokeen as shown in the picture to create a kind of outer sleeve like what the Avail has

e196ab81358b08beabbf6e668f069467.jpg

05f0c4d6704213d27de5678bd2482eb2.jpg

41ad469cb9f10ae01d7061fe657791a0.jpg

faa167051cf0b1d1ccf0924eb3f26c13.jpg

Last edited:

Scooter74

FNG
Thanks for these pics... have you carried the Tokeen with the Access Bag attached? I'm wondering if they work well together as a system or it ends up being kinda floppy and awkward. I'm looking at the Tokeen, and trying to compare to the Kiowa which would have the "access bag" essentially stitched on as a front pocket. Has anyone been able to compare those two directly?

Kostrize

WKR
I haven’t tried the Tokeen/Access bag combo in practical use. The positioning is about the same as on the full Xcurve frame so I thini the results would be about the same. To me it would depend on how heavy of items you carry in it. Bulkier light items like rain gear, puffy, gloves would be ideal. The Access Bag does give you some nice functionality with sandwiching items between it and the main bag

I had a Kiowa for a while as well. Nice bag but I did think it sagged more overall than the Tokeen or Avail. To me it’s built pretty specifically for PRS in the same way that the Avail is more tailored to ski mountaineering or something. The outer pocket on the Kiowa being stitched wouldn’t allow it to sag or flop. To me the streamlined shape and extra frame height of the Tokeen were worth it

Scooter74

FNG
Oh, interesting. I would not have expected the Kiowa to sag more than the others... maybe that's because of the extra material for expansion? Looks like quite a bit of excess material in that side pocket (great if you've got a large scope in there, maybe less great if you don't).

The main reason I asked about the Access Bag on the Tokeen is I'd like something "external" to carry a water bottle in, but that would be heavy so might cause it to sag. Maybe I just need to embrace it for what it is (streamlined) and keep the bottle inside the pack. I guess I could also pick up the Hydro Holster to hang a bottle off the belt.

Sounds like from your observations that the Tokeen is more suited to urban crossing into wilderness missions than the Kiowa is...