lightest weight saw for removing elk anters

njdoxie

WKR
What is the lightest weight saw for removing elk antlers? Preferably something that someone has tried and not just read about, but field tested. I'm trying to lighten my load. Thanks in advance. I've done research and not really happy with what I see and don't really want to buy something just to try it out.

Ray

WKR
A fine toothed bone saw blade with duct tape is the lightest "saw" I have ever used to cut a skull. A 24TPI hacksaw blade has worked too.

Scot E

Lil-Rokslider
I use a wyoming saw. I bring it in on my second trip and take the antlers out then. Not light weight but works very well.

Jon Boy

WKR
I use a light weight Gerber. It works ok and weighs nothing. I gutted 12 elk with it so far this season and removed a few skull caps with it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've cut the skull cap on a lot of elk over the years with a few different saws or contraptions.......and there's no comparison to the WY Saw or that kind of design. You can cut through the cap in just a couple minutes with it, whereas some of those lightweight options will have you wanting to use your boot to finish the job. I tried the Gerber Exchange a blade saw one year on a "small" bull and ended up kicking the heck out of it to break it free, eventually breaking the skull cap in two. But after several minutes of attempted sawing after already breaking down a bull, I don't have a lot of patience for inadequate tools. I'll carry out the whole head before I use one of those again.

OP
N

njdoxie

WKR
Thanks for input......I'm not sure what to do as I was way overloaded this year, I've got to cut back somewhere....but I don't want to spend 2 hours removing a skull cap.

ElkNut1

WKR
Hands down a WY Saw, 14" model is the best! 18" is too long & 12" is a knuckle buster. We've used them for years & they are the best a bit over 1lb.

ElkNut1

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
I adapted a 15" Sven to a 14" WY Saw blade. Both blades included it weighs 11.3 oz
To be more specific i ordered a 14 bone blade with their threaded tension end. Drilled another hole in my Sven frame to accomodate the shorter Wyoming blade and swapped out the rivet for a thumb screw. Next I ground the square ends off of the Wyoming tension screw and it fit into the Sven handle like butter. Pretty happy with the outcome, those T handles and folding blades can suck it

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Bacho Laplander folding saw with the regular wood blade. It works great on deer I haven't killed an elk yet but I think it would work fine on them too. I think it is the best folding saw made. It's great for trimming trees and cutting fire wood as well.

The Havalon Barracuda with the bone saw blade has me interested because of its light weight and dual purpose.

KMT

WKR
Wyoming saw on the 2nd or third trip out. No need to carry it around until you need it. And best of all, it works!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Through the years I have tried many methods, crappy saws, hatchets and crappy saws........for the last 7+yrs the 14 inch wyoming saw has been my ticket and if your old school like me it helps to do this and in this brushed infested country, along with they seldom fall nicely and I never seem to have anyone around to help it is a handy tool to have in the pack.

danarnold

WKR
Wyoming saw on the 2nd or third trip out. No need to carry it around until you need it. And best of all, it works!

I agree, I have never been able to leave horns out in the woods myself, had bears swipe my elk cape out of a tree, it'd be hard to loose some antlers

BTW nice pis Ross!

Trr15

WKR
The Havalon Barracuda with the bone saw blade has me interested because of its light weight and dual purpose.

I just picked one of These up last week. It will be in my pack next season for sure, but I'm skeptical about its ability to cut off a skull cap. Seems like it would require a significant amount of effort. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

jrice

FNG
The little cheapy Sierra saw will work, but you'll need a long break after cutting a large bull skull plate with it. They are super light, and the replacement blades are less the $10 I believe. It's what I carry, but the Wyoming saw will do a faster and better job for sure.