Guys that have hunted out of Tok, 40 mile, etc.

aggieland

WKR
I have a strange question for anyone that has hunted with 40 mile air or in the area they fly into for Caribou. A group of 4 of us have our first ever Alaska hunt scheduled with Tok Air, for August 12-20th and we are flying out of Tok. All of us are geared up for lightweight backcountry pack in hunts but the kicker is 3 of us use Hammocks. We Typically hunt in Colorado, Utah & New Mexico & can always find a few trees to hang in. I know Alaska has a lot of Tundra and everyone we spoke with has said the Hammocks won't work (Although I don't think any of them quite understood what kind of Setups were using). Anyway, Every picture I see of the area we are flying into has Trees in the picture, lots of them.. I know it would probably be foolish to carry the hammocks and then realize we won't be able to use them. It's just hard knowing the $$$ we have invested in these hammocks, under quilts, etc etc and won't be about to use them. Then to turn around & have to buy something else for us to stay in. I'm Leaning towards a Seek Outside Tipi & stove.. What are your thoughts?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have only hunted out of Tok once, and it was for sheep not caribou. Still I would be hesitant to require trees for my sleeping set up for anywhere I was hunting caribou in AK. While there may potentially be trees you could use, it's difficult to count on. While caribou can be found in the thick stuff, they are more often found (or perhaps simply easier to spot) in the wide open tundra you mentioned. In a tundra like setting you are likely to encounter brush or alders, but I doubt most of it would be strong enough to support a hammock. Another thing to consider is that tree line in a lot of the interior AK is much lower than what folks are used to in the lower 48 states...around 2000 feet in many areas. You might potentially be able to camp in a treed location and hunt in higher ground, but it's going to require a lot more miles every day than if you just came prepared to camp in whatever location you find the caribou.

The presence (or absence) of bigger trees is going to depend a lot on where you end up hunting, and a lot of times on fly ins that is dependent on the location of the herd, which is moving all the time. So while it's possible you could get lucky, I would hate to be counting on a treed location and then be out of luck if the herd wasn't there....

We used 40 Mile air for a DIY sheep hunt and they took great care of us. Been a few years ago so things may have changed but they would be my first call.

I flew with 40Mile Air and completed a moose hunt where both my buddy and I tagged bulls. We were not in a "caribou area" so I am not sure how much my experience will apply. Where we camped there were zero trees. There was a burn area and moose moved thru it and what trees were there would not work for hammocks. There were suitable trees down by the drain/river but we would have been in the mooses's bedroom so we did not camp there in order not to push them out and it was also a long hike from the landing strip for the SuperCubs.
We used by friend's Artic Oven tent and it was perfect.
Hammocks have a place but I don't think it is appropriate for Caribou hunting and definitely not if tundra is on the menu.
Call and talk to the pilot/owner at 40Mile. Laif will tell you if solid trees will be available where he plans to take you.
If there is one caribou spot that he knows the hammocks will work and he says "yes sure you can use them". Then you can make the call. When you get there and are ready to fly out what if he knows that the herd is somewhere else? He can drop you off where there are bou and no trees or take you to the designated tree spot and zero caribou? I say bring appropriate gear (tents) so you can be flexible and let the pilots put you in the thick of the Caribou! Leave the hammocks for Colorado

I haven't flown with Tok Air, but I do hunt the 40 Mile herd on a regular basis (just killed this years 40 Mile caribou on Monday), and this fall I got to fly over a large portion of the range between the Steese and Taylor Highways. There ARE trees, but fairly few of them were you are likely to find caribou. The caribou will spend the bulk of their time above tree line, and that is also were most the of the ridgetop strips seem to be.

It might work, but I think you have the potential to seriously handicap your campsite options. Stid likely has a better handle on it. I think he's done the fly in this in that country.

Yk

From the sounds of it don't count on trees so the hammock and stove idea is out. We used Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 tents, 2 lbs each on our Caribou hunt this year. Very portable and held up over 40 nights of abuse this year with two weeks of those in AK. Everyone has personal space, light, compact, and backups if one does get destroyed (bears, etc).

Stid2677

WKR
I have hunted Caribou with 40 Mile Air a 3 times, and all 3 times the caribou were in different areas. Once off a river and a hammock would work. Once in a valley choke point and again a hammock could be used. The last time was on a ridge line and a hammock would be useless.

IMGP1820.jpg

Valley Choke point.

IMGP0353.jpg

River hunt.

IMGP0352.jpg

The caribou are migratory and are in different areas at different times each year. Hard to bring a bunch of gear on Super Cub hunts. 40 mile will do a gear haul and I paid for that on two hunts and glad I did.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Great great info guys! Sounds like a no brainer, stay safe and leave the hammocks at home. Heck I may sell my setup and usecthe funds to go with something different. Thank you for the info!

colonel00

WKR
All great advice. One other thing that I don't think anyone mentioned is the bugs. I may be wrong but I am guessing that the bugs will be a mess in mid-August. Keep that in mind when choosing your shelter and sleep system

Considering a 12 man Seek Oustide Tipi With stove. Anyone object or have advice?

Not a bad idea, you can always leave the stove with 40 mile if they plan on dropping you off with no wood to burn. Like Colonel00 said, bugs can be insane. You may think you have seen bugs before but these SOB are vicious. 3x bigger, 100x more relentless to eat you. Nothing works besides being covered from head to toes and pray for wind. A shelter able to get away from them can save you from going mental. Head nets are a absolute must, carry a spare or two incase you loose one or it gets damaged.

Ray

WKR
A stove in a tent in mid August in the interior if AK at mid to low elevation?

Well, I guess if you're from Florida or some other southern location where you wear a down snow suit when it drops below 50 degrees then a stove would make sense in August.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Thanks Ray, im from Tx and have never been to Alaska, need to see what kinds of temps we will be dealing with.

A lot of guys use tipis in AK and love them. I think this totally has to do with location and circumstances but I have had terrible luck with them. I'll never do another hunt in AK without a free standing tent,

I like 1-2 guys per tent, in smaller/ medium tents. Some times its tougher to find a spot for larger tents....but again it all depends on your location and even transportation to get where your going. What are the weight limits from the pilot?

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
50# but I think we can make weight. Actually in a tuff spot right now, we can either have 4 guys with the 50# limit and have less comfort which can be done. Or cut back to 3 guys and have an extra gear load brought in. Hate to cut a guy out but the pilot is kinda wanting to. He is concerned we won't make weight..

hodgeman

WKR
A couple of things- don't count on trees at all. Even in areas with trees you might not find many that'll hold up a hammock. Do count on bugs...lots.

Also- weather can be 80F and bright sun or snow...I've seen both in Aug. anywhere in the AK Range you can probably count on some rain. 4 guys splitting weight on a big tipi type shelter is pretty weight efficient.

bowuntr

WKR
If you are hunting caribou the pilots probably won't know where they are going to drop you til the morning you are flown out. They make the decision based on where the caribou were the day before. No way to predict if there is going to be any trees. I'm a tent guy... for a lot of the reasons mentioned already. The weather can be brutal and dangerous... I wouldn't want to wait out a storm in a hammock. It would be too difficult to play a game of cards... or a hundred games of cards. That's just me... Ed F

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
I would honestly rather have my hammock setup in a storm than a tent. If I had trees, also realize that I can't risk having the hammock in AK because of the lack of trees. Those pics are getting me fired up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!