Guys that have hunted out of Tok, 40 mile, etc.

Ray

WKR
P9180270.JPG

Here is the typical terrain in the southern slopes of the Alaska Range far to the west of where 40 Mile will drop you. Small orphaned caribou calf for scale from 2014.

IMG_0731.JPG

Here is the same area with four caribou cows swimming across a lake in 2013. On the ridge in the background there is one spruce tree and one cotton wood hidden in the willows. Until is snowed that night you could not even tell those two trees were there.

This area is about 2500 feet in elevation which is probably why there are so few trees.

IMG_0122.JPG

This is from 2012 from just a few miles west of where the other photos were taken in 2013 and 2014. Non motorized controlled use area and a subsistance permit. Biggest bodied and racked caribou I have ever taken. Hauled out to the road in several trips with a bad back and bad arm while in a monsoon that stranded people with washed out roads and flooded creeks. Everything was soaked.

Last edited:

bowuntr

WKR
I couldn't imagine staying 2 or 3 days in a hammock... a tent is considered survival equipmet in Alaska. Different strokes for different folks... Ed F

Gwoodak

FNG
I think I'd opt for two tents. Just in case you wanted to divide and conquer or spike out from camp for a day or so. I'm not a tipi fan myself but I can see the value in certain situations. I'd leave the stove at home. Hunted sheep with out of Tok w 40 mile, in August and never even thought about needing a stove to keep warm. Good sleeping bag and thermals and you should be fine. Tipis kind of suck on windy ridges. If you're going to set up camp out of the bugs and with a good vantage being near a ridge might be nice. I like to roll out of the bag and do a little glassing while my coffee warms up. I just think that free standing tents will give you more options when it comes to camp selection and adaptability.

hodgeman

WKR
One of the the nice things about a tipi with a stove is that you will likely encounter rain, maybe your whole trip... being able to dry your gear out is a great thing to be able to do.

Tipis aren't my preference in high country but do ok with good site selection and are tough to beat for space, weight and comfort.

TEmbry

WKR
Storms are different up north than out west.

Weathering out a storm in CO usually means hours, maybe a day...

I've had it where I was weathered in for 3-5 days up in Alaska. No way a hammock could be favorable for those scenarios.

I'd do a sawtooth type shelter if there are 3 of you... that way you can cut major weight and pack more deet cans... you will need them! lol

Daniel_M

WKR
Hammocks have their place but I would never use one here in Alaska.

4 guys? 2 solid 4 season tents w/floor or a 12-man tipi but then you're looking for real estate big enough to pitch it.

Good sleeping pads and synthetic bags or high quality down. I always pack my 20* Wiggys unless weight is a consideration.

I'm a big fan of the TiGoat bivy, my bag never leaves the Bivy and left zipped up, I don't worry about Mother Nature when I'm away.

Storms here much different. We weathered rain last fall that brought the rivers up 4ft over night.

Last edited: