Just Curious... how'd you like your NOMAD?

I ran the Nomad this year (along with the other guy I hunt with) and we absolutely loved it. We only did a few multi day trips, but from 3 day trips, to half day trips, 5 mile days to 20 mile days, with or without a horse, archery or rifle.... I didn't have a single complaint. We hauled quarters, shed antlers, camp, and everything in between with them on both the bikini and duplex frames. For my style of hunting I could not have designed the pack any better at all. I used an XTL lid for the stuff I needed frequently and a grab it for packing meat. I filled up the camp bag a couple times and that seemed to ride really well with the grab it holding it in place. Beat the hell out of using the DT3 or DT1 in day mode.

I only ask because I see a ton of heat on the Mountain Warrior thread. Granted it has a way cooler name, but it seems to be a lot like the high camp and DT3 in many ways. Just wondered if there was something people didn't like, or if its just a matter of "different strokes for different folks." This is the first year I am not going to try and change a single thing on my pack for next year.

The ONLY thing I would change on the nomad... I would put dividers half way through the pockets on the wings to separate into two vertical compartments and then put a vertical zipper down the side of the bottom ones. Sometimes it seems like everything slides to the bottom and you are should deep digging blind to find your stuff. I started using different little pouches as "pull outs" and that helped a bunch.

Joe

bmart2622

WKR
Glad to hear that you had a good season Joe. I used the hell out of my Nomad in various configurations as well from day hunts to 5 days worth of gear. It worked great, even got the chance to get it bloody. I feel like it does get a little wide when loaded with camp between the wings. For some reason I find myself missing a typical pack set up with a main bag though. I really like the Nomad and everyone that saw it was impressed with it. All that being said I think I am gonna pull the trigger on a Mountain Warrior, mostly because I am obssessed with gear not because i am displeased with the Nomad.

I think the Nomad sucks for multi day trips but that's not why I bought it. I use it when day hunting and carrying my longrange rifle. I strap an Eberlestock scabbard down the middle and use a grabbit and kifaru meat bag to haul out boneless or quarters. For this it was exceptional. I love my nomad and I also love my dt1 for multiday backpack hunts.

mt100gr.

WKR
I was under a nomad for more hard miles this year than any pack ever before. I packed deer, elk, a mtn goat, camps, sheds, etc. I definitely like the design and the organization but I think I would be better suited with a big center bag style pack. We never camp in the same place twice it seems and having to loosen the straps and lid every time I want in got annoying at times.

I do like it for day hunts and really like it for awkward loads if I don't have the camp bag in the middle but for longer trips, a compressible big bag would be nice.

I found myself using my spotting scope less with the nomad, too. Sometimes I didn't want to undo the lid and loosen everything up to slide it from the sleeve pockets. Lazy...maybe, but I would have used it for more than training weight if it was more accessible. Having a wide open back panel is more versatile though when it comes to packing meat. Strap a quarter in the middle, grab-it a bag of boned out meat....both are super fast and secure. Another plus is carrying a rifle under the wings and centering it on your back- very easy to keep the load balanced. Finally, I really like the nomad for training. With the grab-it, it grips sand bags so well.

All that said, I think I am going to try the Mountain Warrior this year. The way I organize my pack would be much more user-friendly when it comes to loading and unloading camp. And the front pocket and panel access will make getting in to any location inside the pack a lot easier for me.

7mag.

WKR
I was frustrated with my Nomad at first, trying to balance bulk and weight in the wings, while putting as little as possible between the wings. After 5 or 6 trips, I've grown to love it. I've found that I take far less non essential gear, and for a 3 or 4 day trip, I can get the pack narrower than my shoulders. I also love it for day hunting.I can get it really small, while carrying my day hunt gear, and have the ability to pack out a whole deer if needed. Towards the end of the summer I added the camp bag, and love it for extended trips.

Scoot

WKR
I LOVED mine! I went from a Highcamp to the Nomad this year and although I liked my Highcamp, the Nomad blew the doors off of it. My only complaint is the number of straps in it. That being said, I loved the ability to strap the crap out of a heavy load and lock it in place like no other pack I'd previously had. Awkward loads, goofy stuff packed great. I love the versatility of the pack- it's unparalleled IMO. I have to play with it more to get a really great feel for what works best in different scenarios, but I think I can make it work with just about everything. Also, it's a kick ass daypack once I remove my camp from the middle of it. Love it!

Kotaman

WKR
The thing that really bugs me about the Nomad and the EMR2 is the fact that I have to undo about 5 straps to get at stuff. Drives me nuts. That and the strap management itself are enough of a "turn off" to have me either going back to my T1 or going with the Mountain Warrior. The MW would work perfect for my style of hunting.

colonel00

WKR
The good:

Very versitile
Tons of options on how to carry stuff between the wings
Great for day pack use
Haul meat without placing inside a bag

The bad:

Straps everywhere
As Kotaman mentioned, you basically have to undo everything to get into any pocket
It just seemed like a pain to try to load. You have to lay it down to strap in a camp bag or whatever. Then stand it up to load the wings. Then lay back down to get everything tightened up. If you do loosen the straps the wings go flopping all about.

Scoot

WKR
The thing that really bugs me about the Nomad and the EMR2 is the fact that I have to undo about 5 straps to get at stuff.

This bothered me at first too. However, I started to carry anything I'd need with any regularity in the lid and I also added a pocket below the wings for this too. I need a bigger pocket down there so I can include a few other things too. Once I get the space I need in the lid and that pocket and only have to get into the wings for things like a kill kit, filling water, etc. then I think I won't have a concern with this at all.

Kotaman

WKR
This bothered me at first too. However, I started to carry anything I'd need with any regularity in the lid and I also added a pocket below the wings for this too. I need a bigger pocket down there so I can include a few other things too. Once I get the space I need in the lid and that pocket and only have to get into the wings for things like a kill kit, filling water, etc. then I think I won't have a concern with this at all.

I definately agree, you need to put everything you can in the lid and small pockets, but for me my rain gear and Puffy are in the "tubes" and I HATED unstraping everything to get at that stuff. Along with that, my water bottles were inside, and that is NOT the way to go. PITA. My Nomad went down the road and my EMR2 is next. (and I'm sure whatever I replace it with won't be good enough either! :eek:)...BUT, the Mountain Warrior has my attention.

Whisky

WKR
I have no firsthand experience with Nomad other then seeing two in action for over a week but I will stick with the T1. Same complaints, too wide and PITA to get to anything. The T1 with Long Hunter or Guide lid, small pouch on belt and 1-2 med pouches on sides leaves me with quick access to anything I may need. I wouldn't like the T1 without a lid with capacity for carrying stuff.

I was considering a Nomad but that experience has changed my mind.

SethA

FNG
I have really like mine so far, only used it for day pack. I don't use a lid on it so I pack anything I need to get to at the top of the wing pockets and could usually get it in and out with out having to mess with the straps. I bought to use as a day/overnight pack that was capable of hauling meat.

You guys who are commenting on the lid... I ran it without a lid. I can see where a lid would be nice, but is it a pain when you want to get into the wing pockets and you have to unstrap the lid and lift it up to get in there?

I loved the nomad as a day pack. My favorite thing was when I had it set up as a day pack I really liked the wing pockets for my tripod in one with my kill kit stuffed to the bottom and my scope in the other pocket. I cant see any of the other options being better for a day pack.

I ran a long pocket on the bottom of the wings instead of a lid when in day hunt mode. Most of the things I used most frequently went in the long pocket or in the belt pockets. I even stashed the grab it in a pocket until I needed it.

Scotto

WKR
Ran mine as a day pack without the lid. Took a couple days to get a routine ( lunch on the left, TP and rain gear on the right) etc.... Hung my bladder in a lock and load #4 and had the grab-it 2 buckled over it and the wings closed over everything. When it came time to haul meat, it was worth every penny.

OP
S
You guys who are commenting on the lid... I ran it without a lid. I can see where a lid would be nice, but is it a pain when you want to get into the wing pockets and you have to unstrap the lid and lift it up to get in there?

You do pretty much have to unbuckle the lid... but if you need in the main tubes you pretty much have to unbuckle all of them anyway... whats 2 more? HAHAHA

I see some of the complaints as valid, but the lid and a med pouch on the bottom and you should be good to go for most of the commonly needed items. I honestly feel like the complaint about the width is based more on theoreticals than experience. I have put enough stuff for 5 days in the camp back in the center and it never felt too wide. Maybe I am just wide haha

Joe