If you were just starting out what pack would you buy?

Sadler

WKR
I’d buy a lightly used EXO K4 5000 from the classifieds. I’ve already seen a few posted and they’re extremely comfortable packs.

MRL1984

FNG
I'd check out something with changeable bags. I've run a number of packs from Mystery Ranch Pop Up 18 to Metcalf. Kuiu system with an 1800 and 3600 bag. Eberlestock various packs.

Exo K3 3200 is my current and other than some cool new features on the K4 I haven't thought about actually trading it. It just fits me right and I can carry more than I need in the 3200 bag with lid.

Ideally make some friends and try theirs out to see what fits best for you. Load it up and see how feels to pack around a bit. Inevitably you will probably try a few, check classifieds and the bay for deals on lightly used ones.

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
I love my SG 7900. The xcurve frame works really well for me. Mystery ranch frame hurt me but this xcurve frame under weight has been amazing for me.

swampfox

FNG
I’ve been running a kuiu pack for 7 yrs now and it’s been great for me. I picked up a stone glacier two years ago after reading so many great reviews but it just did not work for me at all once I got about 50 lbs in it. It was terribly uncomfortable for me so I sold it. I will say I tried out the exo K4 at the expo last year and it was incredible. If I wasn’t so cheap I’d be buying one of those but the kuiu has been awesome for me and has packed a lot of critters. If starting fresh I’d start at exo, the k3 felt good to me but nothing special, while the k4 was something else

I have packed a lot of elk and deer with a eberlestock Just One pack from the late 2000's. I passed that along to my son and recently purchased an EXO K4. I like the way it sits on the hips and doesn't slip down. Can't wait to put it to work some day.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Something with aluminum stays, above all.

I’m curious as to why you would be recommending aluminum above all? As most big pack manufacturers known for carrying heavy weight are all using carbon composite stays (EXO, Kifaru, and Stone Glacier). The carbon composite stays have proven at this point to carry weight and provide the durability we all want/need.

I wish this was offered when I bought my fulcrum.

ljalberta

WKR
I’m sure it’s been mentioned here, but size wise, I would go big if I could only have 1 pack. Especially if you’re getting into backpack hunting. Often the gear can be bulkier unless you’re able to spend some $ to shave some weight and bulk. A big pack compresses easily to daypack size.

I would go with something 7k+ cu/inch.

Matt5266

WKR
Buy a used big name name. Kifaru, exo, IA ect. You do not wanna skimp on a pack. Once I got a good pack I was mad at myself for all the years I screwed around with lesser quality

OP
G
And thanks all for the recommendations. Didn’t expect so many responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk