If you were just starting out what pack would you buy?

Sounds like you don’t know exactly how you’ll use it. That’s fine. It’s easier to make a big pack smaller than a small pack bigger.

4500-5000 cubic inches gives you enough capacity for backpack hunts if that’s your jam. I have a MR Beartooth 80. I use it for everything. Prior to that I had a Metcalf. I loved the simplicity of the Metcalf but it was a shade too small for my needs. I think they r made it a little bigger now.

Don’t get too hung up on the perfect choice. I’d buy a used pack. Don’t get a Badlands. I can tell you that from experience. If you buy a good quality used pack you can always resell it down the road when you decide to upgrade.

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re just starting out, I’d go with external frame camp trails or a cabelas. I bet you could find a good used one for $50 somewhere. Not pricey and although not as comfortable as a $700 Kifaru it will carry anything out. I’ve done moose, caribou, black bear, elk and mule deer all with a circa 1995 Cabelas “guide” pack that still comes along if someone needs a pack who doesn’t own one. It’ll work fine on a 100 lb moose quarter.

OP
G
For anyone who posted here and may care.. I decided on a mystery ranch pop up 38. So far this checks all boxes. Has a shelf if I need it, fits my 6’3 self like a glove, holds my saddle stuff great and just comfortable. Now it is a tad “strappy” but I don’t mind. Got this one after trying a trophy line sumpter and loved that pack, but it did not love me. Way too small. Gonna use this pop up til I have reason to go to something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious as to why you would be recommending aluminum above all? As most big pack manufacturers known for carrying heavy weight are all using carbon composite stays (EXO, Kifaru, and Stone Glacier). The carbon composite stays have proven at this point to carry weight and provide the durability we all want/need.
Because being able to bend stays to fit. I have several Kifarus (older) with bendable aluminum stays. 1 with laminated wood/carbon fiber, it's a Late Season. I've carried over 100# once, on a Duplex. I don't recommend. I can go twice as fast with 70#, and not worry about hurting myself.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

It’s not. Lots of people buy brand new gear, end up not going on the hunt and then sell it to recoup money. I see it all the time. Just because it’s used doesn’t mean it’s junk
Every backpack I've sold on rokslide (at least 4 - 5) have been nearly brand new. I take care of my gear and usually only used for 1 -2 trips only.

These haven’t been out long, have they? Sounds like a red flag.
haha, I currenly own the exo K4 5000 and it has been the best pack for me to date. I've own them all including Kifaru, KUIU, Stone Glacier and Initial Ascent.

I can tell you I might sell my exo K4 5000 if I like the new Kifaru offering just to try. so zero red flags on the K4 5000 just a function that I need to free up some money to try something new. If I don't like the KIfaru I would buy another K4.

Again, ZERO red flags.

RedGreen

FNG
I’m curious as to why you would be recommending aluminum above all? As most big pack manufacturers known for carrying heavy weight are all using carbon composite stays (EXO, Kifaru, and Stone Glacier). The carbon composite stays have proven at this point to carry weight and provide the durability we all want/need.

Barney's are aluminum, not CF. I love my K3 with its aluminum frame. CF is just way too flexy with heavy and awkward loads in my experience, even if limited.

If budget is an issue, Kifaru has the discontinued Hoodlum in the camo pattern for under 300 bux. A steal. My money says the Tactical Frame and the Duplex light will soon be a thing of the past as well

To the OP, my advice is buy used packs that appeal to you, then;
1. Load them
2. Do training hikes with them
3. See first hand what fits you personally
4. Sell off the packs that didn’t work out for you at what you paid for them

Packs, boots and clothes vary greatly in design and fitment. Try everything you can to see what’s best for YOU.
What I like is irrelevant to the equation.

Best of luck in your quest.

Mystery Ranch Metcalf.

Packs are apparently a very subjective piece of gear.

I've owned Kuiu, Kifaru, and Stone Glacier packs in addition to Mystery Ranch. I keep coming back to my MR packs for all-around use.
I'm looking heavily at the metcalf 75 because I can find last year models for less that 350. Do the lack of external zipper pockets bother you or does it matter with all the internal room?

Whatever you do, don't cheap out. I tried that and was in tremendous pain when hauling meat. (Shot a muley 7 miles in and could barely walk when I got out, from the pain of a bad pack) I bought an exo and it had made a crazy amount of difference in my hunting experience. I have a bad low back and I can still haul elk quarters with no pain. Best hunting money I've spent.

t_carlson

WKR
I'm looking heavily at the metcalf 75 because I can find last year models for less that 350. Do the lack of external zipper pockets bother you or does it matter with all the internal room?

I might bother some people, but between the lid and a couple of belt pouches (bought separately), there is enough organization for me.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I would get an F1 mainframe with an ebay find F65 little big top since eberlestock discontinued the pack back some years top it with a phanny top pack and throw either the sniper weapons case or the bolt action scabbard on add an extra set of compression straps and use the $12.00 replacement buckle kit x2 to make all the buckles on the pack the HD buckles and then compatible with the buckles on the F1 and be set for everything for a lot longer than 3-5 years.