Big Sky Products Tents?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rumor is their Chinook 2P is where the KUIU Mountain Star came from. I believe a rather heated thread on the old KUIU forum on this very subject was the straw that broke the camels back and brought the KUIU forum to an end. Luckily I copied that thread because it had some good info before they shut it down. I've thought more than once about going with the Big Sky Chinook 2P myself.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Great tents, made in Jackson, WY. Every one who has one of them raves about it. You can order one just the way you want it, choice of materials, interiors, poles etc. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

jwb300

WKR
I have the Revolution 2P, Chinook 2P and have just ordered a Wisp. Probably the most innovative tent maker on the market. You will note the remarkable similarities between all of the Kuiu tents and the Big Sky products... Customer service has been reported to be poor but I have never had an issue as I have purchased mine through retailers that had them in stock. In saying that I have been waiting some time for my Wisp which is coming direct from Big Sky...

I believe the company has been moved to China where they oversee the production of the tents. The build quality is great.

They are highly customisable on the website although for the uninitiated it can be confusing. I would recommend the Chinook for your hunt as you can run it without the 3rd pole for 3 season conditions which makes is a comparable weight to the Revolution. I recommend using a footprint with the tent due to the light weight fabric.

Any other questions just ask.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why the Chinook over the Glacier Xtreme? It appears the Chinook has larger vestibules, but their site is not the easiest to compare the two side by side. ?? Thanks!

jwb300

WKR
The Glavier Extreme would also be a good option. The Chinook has 3 poles where as the Glacier has only 2 potentially making it a little less stable. I also like being able to use the Chinook with 2 poles as a 3 season tent. Maybe a bit more flexible but they aren't all that heavy so either one would be fine. Also I'm not sure if the Glacier is free standing - it looks to be but doesn't seem to say it on the website. I guess it depends on the conditions in which you will use it the most.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you go mesh, breathable fabric, or both on your Chinook?

wea5el

FNG
Looking at a similar setup, so another question on the Big Sky Chinook. Could you compare/provide the actual weight of the Chinook in the 4-season mode with 3 poles and the 3 season mode with the 2 poles? Do you have the larger diameter 9mm poles all the way around, because I noticed you can mix and match poles for slightly different setup. Thanks again.

Rockchuck

WKR
I recently picked up the chinook 2 for this year along with the hilliberg niak. I ended up sending the niak back after initial setup. Measurements were right on spec with chinook and i really like the option of 2 or 3 poles. I went with 9mm poles all around, breathable fabric interior, and footprint. Mostly planning on using it solo and it feels palatial coming from the 1 man tents i have been running lately. Only problem i have is i need to use it more! Probably will this weekend though.

As a side note, i picked up one of their inflatable pillows with insulated cover and i love it! Very comfy for me and will leave my monster 12 oz thermarest pillow iut of the pack this year. I have tried other inflatable pillows before and not been impressed.

It did take much longer than promised for the tent to be delivered and calls i made were never returned and email responses took a 2-3 weeks. Definitely not my idea of great service....but the tent seems great so far so i am looking past the crappy service for now. I can only imagine a warranty or service request may be a bit trying based on their response times i experienced...

But i see no problems so far, build quality looks great and this tent checks most all of my boxes on desired features.

I will have to get a thread going with a running review of its performance this year in summer scouting and the fall/winter hunts.

i have a rev2p with porch and chinook 1p with no seeum inner and solid. customer service was hell for me, both were sent wrong twice each. was misserable. i do like there product though once its right in hand. i will say the first year kuiu had tents i prefered them. mine never leaked just a few design flaws that were bound to fail, the fabric that held the caribeeners that held the poles where they crossed to add stability and integrity to its truss like design.... the big sky tents are bomber so far. i like the kuiu pole layout better but the big sky are not kuiu. enough said. if you choose them you will be happy i think. im glad there in my quiver of tents. ordering a zpack duplex and soloplex this year for a lighter set up in the mix. jimmy tarps has great options as well to round out a tent selection. good luck........

jwb300

WKR
Looking at a similar setup, so another question on the Big Sky Chinook. Could you compare/provide the actual weight of the Chinook in the 4-season mode with 3 poles and the 3 season mode with the 2 poles? Do you have the larger diameter 9mm poles all the way around, because I noticed you can mix and match poles for slightly different setup. Thanks again.

I'll do it tonight if I get a chance mate. My poles are the 9mm.

jwb300

WKR

2p Chinook
Total weight excluding pegs but including stuff sack, footprint, guy lines, breathable fabric inner and all 3 9mm poles 1925g
Total weight excluding pegs but including stuff sack, footprint, guy lines, breathable fabric inner and only 2 9mm poles 1715g