1-arrow cold bow 7-day challenge, sponsored by Black Ovis

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This is a great post. I do the same thing with my rifle every fall. It will clearly show you where the cold bore shot is. Robby have you noticed if you put all your arrows into one target you're shooting a pretty dang good group. Just a little high!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Rope but 3 more to go and I'm known to crack under pressure hahaahaa

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Number two is up, quartering away, etc... I guess you will have to check the top of page three to see the photo.

haussjr

Lil-Rokslider
Hey looks good. We need to edit it into your first post per the rules. Do you know how?

Yeah I will get it edited in once I get to my computer tomorrow... not sure you can edit on tapatalk??

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I will get it edited in once I get to my computer tomorrow... not sure you can edit on tapatalk??

You can, but no big hurry. Whatever works. Thanks

frans

Lil-Rokslider
LOL thanks! Haven't been called a hero all that often. Only 2 out 7 though... got nervous already thinking about the one shot today.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Day five is on the board. First day NOAA reporting calm winds here, so no compensate. Nervous pressure seems to be worse every morning when I think about going out there to shoot. Totally different when there's no challenge and I can just shoot arrow after arrow after arrow.
For me, having a challenge like this was important because so often I just go out and mindlessly shoot arrows. If I drop a couple, no biggie, I just shoot more.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Nervous pressure seems to be worse every morning when I think about going out there to shoot. Totally different when there's no challenge and I can just shoot arrow after arrow after arrow. For me, having a challenge like this was important because so often I just go out and mindlessly shoot arrows.

I shoot a lot of arrows, especially leading up to September so that I'm pretty much on cruise control during hunting season. For a hunting shot, the only thing I have to worry about is the range because everything else is already en-grained into me by repetition throughout the year. For me, a challenge like this is worse than hunting......because I already know the range but then I tend to think about the shot, instead of suddenly seeing a big bull coming into view and going on cruise control. I don't think about the shot at all when I'm hunting.......it just happens. But that also gets me into trouble......because I'm focused on the vitals, and sometimes there are peripheral branches or limbs around that I don't see......and then hit one of those.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I get your point 5MB. But even on the years where I fired a couple of thousand arrows, I still miss shots on the mountain

frans

Lil-Rokslider
having a challenge like this was important...

Very true! Regularly, but not always, my first arrow is OK, but there is no pressure. And usually I have a really good group somewhere in the middle, and I try to end at a high note (this all during one-two dozen arrows, recovering from injury, I have no stamina). But all those arrows don't mean anything, unless you can bring that first high-pressure shot to a happy end. I love the challenge, I am nervous just driving up to where I am going to set up! Think I will get some steep shots in the mix (like in goat country), some while wearing full November gear and pack, one after a run and a bunch of burpies, and one in low-light into the setting sun. :)

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I love the challenge, I am nervous just driving up to where I am going to set up! Think I will get some steep shots in the mix (like in goat country), some while wearing full November gear and pack, one after a run and a bunch of burpies, and one in low-light into the setting sun. :)
You and Sanpei are taking it to a whole new level.

BFM

FNG
Prime Centergy Hybrid
30"
71lb
.250 Black Eagle Spartans
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Shooting at 15 yards because it's all I really have room for at home.
Day 1, 5/16, about 7:30pm, about 60 degrees w/ light wind
Day 2, 5/17, about 3:30pm, 65 degrees, 10mph wind
Day 3, 5/18, about 4pm, 72 degrees, light breeze
Day 4, 5/19, 6:45pm, 74 degrees, 10mph wind

Day 5, 5/20, 12:40pm, 92 degrees, 5mph wind

Day 6, 5/21, 1:15pm, 90 degrees, 14mph wind (apparently the heavy arrow with medium shaft bucks the wind pretty good).

Didn't get a chance to shoot yesterday, busy day. I'll get shot 7 in this evening.

Reached max attachments.

Link to # 5
Link to # 6
http://imgur.com/a/cqHn3

Day 7, 5/23, 6:30pm, 79 degrees, 5mph wind.
http://imgur.com/a/X7y1f

Attachments

• bow.jpg
    bow.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 49
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I shoot at the sand pit behind my house. I often shoot at a 32 oz cup. Count it as a kill shot if I hit it. I have been shooting a lot but I have some stuff going on for the next several weeks so I am gong to try and go shoot one arrow at lunch for a week.

Shooting a hoyt pro defiant 30, Sure Loc SLDR 3 pin sight, QAD HD rest, offset shrewd 6 inch stabilizer. Easton Axis 340 with staggered 2 inch vanes. I am taking the shots at 70-90 yards.

I cant get the photos the right direction and I delted day 2/3 (the two misses :)) cause I could only have 5 attachments on the post.

Day 1: 11AM (Slight wind behind me. 70 yards).

attachment.php

Day 2: 6PM (Decent wind at me and slightly to the right. 80 yards). Touching the cup, happy with this shot in the wind.

Day 3: 8AM (No wind. 80 yards). Knew I missed right when I let it go. Poor shot for perfect conditions.

Day 4: 8AM (No wind. Sunny. 75 yards). Touching the cup. I have been pretty consistently low right each day. Not sure why...
IMG_2623.jpg

Day 5: 8AM (No wind. Sunny. 90 yards). I always shoot pretty well at 90. This was a great shot it blew the cup.

View attachment 51635

Day 6: 8AM (Pretty strong wind from left to right. Sunny. 80 yards). Guessed right on the wind got great results.
IMG_2630.jpg

Day 7: 8AM (Slight wind at my back. Sunny. 85 yards). Perfect shot.

IMG_2640.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2597.jpg
    IMG_2597.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2598.jpg
    IMG_2598.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the challenge I fixed it for you. If you're shooting with a phone, try rotating it 90 degrees. I'm envious of your backstop.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Day 5 in the books. This is basically how I shoot during the last half of July through till season starts only I use BH's.

Done with Day 5. Here's a short video.

[video=youtube_share;sYO_YvR7hVI]https://youtu.be/sYO_YvR7hVI[/video]

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I loved the video Sanpei!!! killer shot too and you're back in the money. Best post yet.

DWinVA

WKR
Day 3 is up for me. Day 4, tomorrow is an issue. I have a circuit 3-D shoot I have to hit first thing in the morning. I'll continue day 4 Sunday morning before church. I really like shooting my bow, usually a lot each day so this challenge is killing me. On the bright side....my finger has improved a lot since I'm not shooting near as much.

Keep it up everyone.

God Bless.

Last edited: