1-arrow cold bow 7-day challenge, sponsored by Black Ovis

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Day 5....
It pains me to have to post this. 33 and half yards, 35o uphill, poor footing again. Line was good for the back of the lungs, just dropped low. I figured out what I did wrong during a few practice draws. Nose slipped under the feather due to the weird body angle, instead of on top, changing the 'site image'. Long up- and downhill shots will be on the menu the coming months. Photo in the original post... page 2 at the bottom.

Last edited:
Page 7 and like normal for me - Late to the party.
Didn't get started today like I had hoped, got stuck doing yard work the last 2 days and still don't have it sighted in. hae actuall 1 hour block set aside sunday to get the 20 and 60 dialed in so I can get the right tape and hopefully start this monday
setup is pro defiant 34 with 65# limbs (pulling 63) ripcord ace, BE X-impacts weighing 460 flying hopefully 276fps

Last edited:

UtahJimmy

WKR
Day 7 is in the books! Thanks for putting this together Robby. Really enjoyed the challenge. Happy I can throw some FPs back on my arrows and shoot more than 1 at a time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
If I was eligible, I would give my entry to Felix40. He needs a new target from Black Ovis!

This is who I have as qualified for the challenge so far. If you're not on this list and have followed the rules, let me know and I'll update it.

Felix40
5MilesBack
Ryan K. Sanpei
UtahJimmy
KHNC
Broken Compass (and an extra entry for your wife, tell her good job btw, that's not easy with a baby!)
mflood3800

Tony Trietch finished (strong!) but is on staff so not eligible to win.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This is who I have as qualified for the challenge so far. If you're not on this list and have followed the rules, let me know and I'll update it.

Felix40
5MilesBack
Ryan K. Sanpei
UtahJimmy
KHNC
Broken Compass (and an extra entry for your wife, tell her good job btw, that's not easy with a baby!)
mflood3800

Take me off the list. I did a 3D shoot Saturday between shot's 6 and 7.......and shot pretty well.

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
I can't get another pic on my original post, so here is day 6.
IMG_2127.jpg
Clear skies, no wind, 70 degrees F. The sun directly in my face on this one (the same thing as day 3)
Robby, I am not eligible for the drawing. I blew my shot on day three. The sun was in my face and I was using the quiver to shade my eyes, centered the pin on the target and let fly. The arrow landed 6 feet left of the target and blew up. After wondering what happened for a minute or so, I realized I forgot to use the peep sight! Man I really have some work to do! Anyway, I was too embarrassed to post that until now. My conscience just wasn't going to let me get away with that though. I am going to finish the challenge though, to see what I need to work on.
Day 7!
IMG_2129.jpg
Clear skies, 75 degrees F, no wind. This is the first shot that I have taken that felt good. I took a little more time to make sure I was doing everything right and I think it paid off. Now if I can just repeat this every time! Thanks a lot Robby for putting this challenge together. I wouldn't have otherwise done this. I usually jus shoot as much as possible, but this challenge really showed me that the first shot is the one that really counts. I figured I was a better shot than I really am, but now I know that I need to turn it up a notch with my practice. Having not shot since last year, I now need to work on the fundamentals (form, breathing, follow through).

Last edited:

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Number 7 is up.

An interesting challenge, thanks Robby for initiating it and Ryan for making it crazy.

I have learned a few things:

1. I am better than I thought I was.
Made a few great shots from beyond my maximum, and a few that were not super, but close enough to make me hopeful (close enough doesn't count in hunting)

2. I am worse than I sometimes think I am.
So easy to get a little cocky and forget about the basics. I don't even know what went wrong on Shot 7, I missed the target a few inches left, the arrow slithered away in the wet grass, not to be found (yet). It would be easy to blame a gust of wind, but I fear it was just the fool pulling the string thinking he was a little better than he really is.

With my shoulder still only reluctantly recovering I think this is a great way of getting some quality practice in, without going through dozens of shots. I need to get mentally stronger and more focused for every shot. I have the mechanics, if I can get my brain to send the right signals.

Jimbob

WKR
All done

Thank you Robby, it was good practice. Simulated a hunting situation better than most practice situations. I changed my release after day 3 then all my shots went to far left. I thought the two releases shot the same but I might be wrong. I will have to test it out. I knew 70 was pushing my limit on my small deer target but I wanted a good challenge. Will do this challenge again this summer.

bhylton

WKR
Final post is up. Thank you for setting up the challenge Robby. It's cool watching everyone's progression. Good shooting everyone

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I can't get another pic on my original post, so here is day 6.
View attachment 51643
Clear skies, no wind, 70 degrees F. The sun directly in my face on this one (the same thing as day 3)
Robby, I am not eligible for the drawing. I blew my shot on day three. The sun was in my face and I was using the quiver to shade my eyes, centered the pin on the target and let fly. The arrow landed 6 feet left of the target and blew up. After wondering what happened for a minute or so, I realized I forgot to use the peep sight! Man I really have some work to do! Anyway, I was too embarrassed to post that until now. My conscience just wasn't going to let me get away with that though. I am going to finish the challenge though, to see what I need to work on.

I can't edit this one into original post as the photo wasn't posted correctly. Shows as "attachment" not even sure what you did to cause that. If you can repost it, I'll edit it in later.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Felix40
Ryan K. Sanpei
UtahJimmy
KHNC
frans
mflood3800
mlob1one

Tony Trietch finished (strong!) but is on staff so not eligible to win.

Last edited:

TheJuice

WKR
Great idea Robby!
I'm mostly a whitetail hunter from IA and have always thought my MEY to be 50yds so that's what I'll stick with.
I did shoot 11 arrows yesterday to make sure my sight was good, as it's been a couple months since I've shot at all.

Hoyt Nitrum Turbo 62lbs, 29"draw, Black Gold single pin slider, Tightspot 5, Easton Injexions 330.

Day 1 little to no wind, standing.

I'll try to mix it up as days progress. Practice broad head, different angles, positions, etc.
de99b322b420821ba3a7ab65d46bcb5e.jpg

Day 2
Quartering uphill about 15ft from my knees, no wind, sprinkling. Looks like a lung/liver shot. A little back.
6f4adf0f5008ae26dd342d01ce4de8cf.jpg

Day 3
Hard quartering away. Slightly down hill, standing on steep grade, 5mph wind at my back, little rain.
Liver/lung for sure. Looking down from on top might catch the rear of first lung.
23d4f69660bfbb9e75a572f578e0844e.jpg

Day 4
Screwed on a Rage Hypo practice head. Swirling 10 mph wind.
Been pleasantly surprised.
b6b3e6ea54f0ad0abb65083eb3a25866.jpg

Day 5
Rage practice head. Moved back to 60. 10mph wind L-R. Pulled it left. For me, I learned today as distance increases to quit aiming for the heart.
397104eceb492103f45c0514e75ff1c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Day 6
Gusty 10-15. Aimed more center vitals instead off heart. Back up to 50yds
227718252fe4176ad4e69d4515a39f5a.jpg

Day 7
Loaded a 36lbs pack. Got my heart rate up a bit. Little wind. Pulled it high. 50yds
Great challenge to show your limitations.
I definitely need to work on strength and calming down for the shot.
Thanks for putting this challenge out there Robby!
Day 7 Rokslide Challenge - YouTube
[video=youtube_share;O5FujabYkKo]https://youtu.be/O5FujabYkKo[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

DWinVA

WKR
Day 8. Yet another rainy day like here in VA (3.5" this week), mid 50s with gusty winds.
IMG_4319.jpg

Day 9. The sun is finally out but very gusty winds with temps in the mid 70s. Tomorrow will be day 10 but 7 consecutive 1 arrow days since last Saturday when I went to a 3-D shoot.
IMG_4350.jpg

Day 10. Beautiful morning in here VA. First time doing the challenge in the morning. No wind and mid 50s. This is my 10 overall day and 7th consecutive.
IMG_4359.jpg

God Bless.

Last edited:
60 yards Hoyt Pro Defiant 34 75# Axis 300's Black Gold Ascent Tight Spot.

slight wind, maybe 5 mph from left to right at the target

Attachments

• 20170525_185309.jpg
    20170525_185309.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20170525_185327.jpg
    20170525_185327.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 36